Fitness on the Road

terrylamar

I have given some though to what to carry on the road to keep in shape. I'm mostly interested in running and Martial Arts. I have it narrowed down to running shoes, a jump rope, a kettlebell, power bands and my grips.

Shoes, of course, are good for any activity, running, walking, jumping rope, weight lifting, really anything you do. The jump rope can be used instead of running or walking when you can't leave the vicinity of the truck, you are short on time, warm ups or a change of pace. Kettlebells are a good substitute for free weights. You can perform certain exercises in your sleeper. Along with the power bands you can do some really good strenghtening exercises.

My grips are Martial Arts specific. In Hapkido there are many techniques that require a strong grip or even help you resist someone performing these techniques on you. I use them while driving.

I, also, carry my staff. It doubles as a tool, a chain or strap pusher. It is not readily identified as a weapon. Occasionally, I carry my wooden sword. I guess I have to be careful carrying that into Canada. I understand Canadian officials don't have much of a sense of humor about such things.

Well, that's my routine, I'm wondering what the rest of you do. Unless, you consider a 16 onunce curl and the buffet waddle exercise! :)

I guess no one works out on the road. No wonder I see so many fat truck drivers. Sou-ie, Buffett's open!

I purchased a jump rope that i will use once the weather cools off. My main activity is walking, but I would also like to get into lifting weights. Running is out of the question due to the heat.

I guess no one works out on the road. No wonder I see so many fat truck drivers. Sou-ie, Buffett's open!

Who has the time? After a long day in the saddle, all I want to do is eat and go to bed. When I rise, I get a shower, fix breakfast, and repeat the process.

I have put together a pretty decent dietary plan, and never eat in truck stop restaurants. I also park way out in the back, so I get exercise walking in and out.

And you met me, did you think I am fat?

No, you're not fat, maybe ugly, but not fat. ;) Not everyone can exercise everyday. Nevertheless, an effort should be made. Our job puts us at a great disadvantage as far as health goes. We lead an very unhealthy lifestyle. We are prone to heart disease, stroke, blood clots, diabetes and weight gain which leads to other health issues. We need to get out ahead of the curve. We don't need to run marathons, just exercise a little more than we do now and watch what we eat.

Theres this one driver that works at our company that I run into often. He manages to drive 2500 to over 3000 miles a week and for some reason finds the time to locate and bobtail to the nearest gym to workout. I mean, the guy is cut and is in great shape. I want to be like that driver. Dunno where he finds random gyms at, but that will be one of my goals.

I was looking into getting a bicycle so I could ride it when I had some free time on the road.

I hear that.I think there are more heavier drivers then thin ones.I'm not fat but am guilty of not exercising.It's not like I don't have the time because just too lazy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread