• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

FFE Orientation questions.....

Has anyone been to FFE Orientation ?

In particular, what is their "road test" consist of ??

Been a few years since I have done orientation or a road test, so I am a little anxious not to screw it up.

Sorry to say I haven't been there. But I would be willing to bet that the road test will be like any road test. You get a tractor, hook up to a trailer (or trailers if they pull sets), do the pre trip, go for a drive. The person you go with will be watching and taking notes. After the drive, you will most likely do a post trip.

Just relax and focus on the task at hand, it should be a breeze so long as you can just take it easy and don't let them make you nervous.

Yeah.
I thought as much.
Thanks.

Maybe I am making myself nervous just worrying uselessly.

I will have to remember the seatbelt. (BIG thing for me)

Also I'm sure I'll "scratch" a gear here and there in a unfamiliar truck.

The rest is pretty straightforward unless I miss a item on the pretrip.
I'll read over the list real good to refamiliarize myself.

I drove all types of trucks MOSTLY for a living since I was 17 years old up til now.
Been only in Fire Apparatus and Ambulances since late 2003 (some were TT "tankers").

I'd just hate to make a dumb mistake with all the experience I have and screw up getting hired.

I know, a LITTLE nervousness/fear makes you safer driver..... But it would REALLY suck to do the sweaty palms freakout for no good reason.

Maybe too many stories of guys/gals being failed and sent home by companies for little things that shoulda been let slide or retested.

Dangit, I know my stuff, was always good at this, and am completely proficient at it.
I'm "psyching myself out" a bit i think.

They won't say anything if u miss a couple gears or even if u grind a gear.The main thing is DO NOT shift while going over tracks and DO NOT hit any curbs,swing wide.Those 2 things are an automatic fail.

Dangit, I know my stuff, was always good at this, and am completely proficient at it.
I'm "psyching myself out" a bit i think.

I really think that after knowing the material, passing any test is mostly self confidence. Not overconfidence, just good solid self confidence.

Just close your eyes and take in a deep breath, relax, and then (remember to open your eyes back up!) get to it. With as much experience as you have it should be a breeze.

Good luck.

I left the road in Sept of 2003.

I chose FFE because they accepted my "local" driving of fire engines and Tractor trailer tankers and aren't requiring me to do a refresher.

I will do 14 to 21 days with a trainer and I'm on my own.

ALL companies have problems, but you have to be reasonable.

I want to do the job, do it safe and right, and make money for me (and company).

I have been with some really bad ones in the past, and may do so in the future.
It's all in how much you are willing to "suck up" to make a living.

Who would "I" say to avoid as far as BFI companies ???

PRIME
SRT
JB Hunt
Covenant (never worked for them, but did work for affiliated companies)

Life is what you make it.
You gotta WORK to make things right for your needs.

Oh,makes since why you chose FFE.Hope it works out.You'll hear the words FEE FEE that's just a pet name the drivers call FFE.I agree,life is what u make of it.You're not going to find that perfect company believe me I know.I've had my share of bad companies.But if you wanna succeed in life you have to take the good with that bad.
I left the road in Sept of 2003.

I chose FFE because they accepted my "local" driving of fire engines and Tractor trailer tankers and aren't requiring me to do a refresher.

I will do 14 to 21 days with a trainer and I'm on my own.

ALL companies have problems, but you have to be reasonable.

I want to do the job, do it safe and right, and make money for me (and company).

I have been with some really bad ones in the past, and may do so in the future.
It's all in how much you are willing to "suck up" to make a living.

Who would "I" say to avoid as far as BFI companies ???

PRIME
SRT
JB Hunt
Covenant (never worked for them, but did work for affiliated companies)

Life is what you make it.
You gotta WORK to make things right for your needs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread