FAVORITE TRUCK WASH

Does your phone have an optical zoom? And how big is the lens? Megapixels don't mean a damn thing to me if the camera lens is the size of a pencil eraser.

Most of these digital cameras and "phones" have tiny lenses that simply can't capture more than about one megapixel worth of optical data & the circuitry just enlarges the image to make it "eight megapixels". People think the number of megapixels determines how "good" a camera is.

You can take a 640x480 web cam and stick a chip in it that enlarges the image to 4000 x 3000 & call it a 12 megapixel camera if you want.

I have a 10 MP Kodak digital camera with a lens that's only about 3/4". At full res, the pictures look blurry when viewed at "actual size". I kept changing the resolution down til I got to 3 MP & compared the 3 MP image to the 10 MP image, then I used Photoshop to enlarge the 3 MP to the same size as the 10 MP image & they hardly looked any different at all. So I figured out that it's nothing but a 3 megapixel camera that artificially enlarges the pictures before it saves them.

I have to take the images that my digital SLR makes and reduce them is size before posting them on the forum, or they will be far too big to view.

I think the forum software resizes them to fit, but if you click the bar at the top of the image it will become gigantic.

And if I want to print out a very large image, no problem. I have a large format printer that prints off of a roll 24" wide.

Here is one of my pictures the size that if comes out of the camera:

View attachment 11249

And the same image after reducing the size so it isn't so huge.

View attachment 11250
View attachment 11249View attachment 11250

Well ****. It looks like PhotoBucket resized my picture.

Dang it!

Anyway, the original file size directly out of the camera is 53.778 inches by 36 inches, at 72 pixels per inch. And that is after converting the image from the "RAW" image data from the camera to jpeg. The actual RAW (digital negative) image from the camera is usually around 10 to 12 megabytes in size, depending on what the image is. Converting it to jpeg reduces it to 2 to 3 megabytes, and then further cutting the physical size for display on the web cuts it down to 200 to 300 kb.

Get that out of a cell phone camera.

Well ****. It looks like PhotoBucket resized my picture.

Dang it!

Anyway, the original file size directly out of the camera is 53.778 inches by 36 inches, at 72 pixels per inch. And that is after converting the image from the "RAW" image data from the camera to jpeg. The actual RAW (digital negative) image from the camera is usually around 10 to 12 megabytes in size, depending on what the image is. Converting it to jpeg reduces it to 2 to 3 megabytes, and then further cutting the physical size for display on the web cuts it down to 200 to 300 kb.

Get that out of a cell phone camera.

Yeah, Photobucket will shrink your pictures.

I don't care how physically large a picture is, if it doesn't have enough actual OPTICAL DATA in it. Cheap cameras are about 1 or 2 megapixel, but they use interpolation to enlarge the image as it saves it. Interpolation is when it enlarges an image by "guessing" what color to assign to the extra pixels that are created when it's enlarged. As a result, you get a huge image with no more detail than a smaller one.

That big giant camera you showed me that one time is almost certainly NOT one of those cheapo's that artificially enlarges an image. It has a big lens on it like what a professional photographer would have, so it doesn't need to.

If you want to show off the capabilities of your camera, here's what you do. Instead of doing what you did in post #81, do this instead:

Make 2 copies of the full size JPEG version of the duck hood ornament pic, and resize one of them to 700 pix wide (maintain aspect ratio). Then with the other copy, view it at full size in Photoshop and CROP it to 700 px by whatever, ... and post that below the one you re-sized. It'll just be a small part of the picture, so crop it around the duck's head or hat or something, ... that'll show the level of detail.

That big giant camera you showed me that one time is almost certainly NOT one of those cheapo's that artificially enlarges an image. It has a big lens on it like what a professional photographer would have, so it doesn't need to.

I actually have a bunch of lenses for that camera.

In addition to the one you saw, one is a super wide angle (fisheye), another can focus very closely (macro) and one is a 600mm mirror lens that can get shots of fly**** on a window at 1,000 yards.

If you want to show off the capabilities of your camera, here's what you do. Instead of doing what you did in post #81, do this instead:

Make 2 copies of the full size JPEG version of the duck hood ornament pic, and resize one of them to 700 pix wide (maintain aspect ratio). Then with the other copy, view it at full size in Photoshop and CROP it to 700 px by whatever, ... and post that below the one you re-sized. It'll just be a small part of the picture, so crop it around the duck's head or hat or something, ... that'll show the level of detail.

I'll have to try that later.

Now it is time to mow. [MENTION=8503]HoneyBadger[/MENTION] yelled at me earlier.

5 lawmowers?

A law mower would be nice. Take the last 16,000 pieces of legislative tyranny that's been cranked out of Washington DC & spread 'em out on the ground & run a mulcher over them.

Why the Hell do you need 5 lawnmowers?

Backup.

2 push mowers, though I never use either of them because I'm lazy.

A 1973 IH Cub Low-boy with a blown trans.
A 15 HP Craftsman conventional riding mower.
A 23 HP Gravely zero-turn-radius mower. Can't use it to mow the ditch though, it doesn't like cross-slopes due to the caster wheels in front. Gotta use the Craftsman or one of the push mowers, ... which means I use the Craftsman.

I also have a 12 HP Murray conventional riding mower but there's no blade deck on it. It only gets used when we're drunk. We pull a trailer around the farm with lawn chairs in the back like a bunch of hillbillies.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread