FAST ACT: Congress seeks update Wireless Roadside Inspection pilot program

Maria

Diet Coke
Staff member
By Greg Grisolano, Land Line associate editor

A provision in the new highway bill mandates that the nation’s top safety enforcement agency issue a report to Congress within six months to clarify among other things how its proposed wireless roadside inspection system will differ from existing state systems, and how they will protect truckers’ private data.

Section 5513 of the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation Act directs the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to submit to the congressional committees on transportation a report regarding the design, development, testing and implementation of wireless roadside inspection systems. The report is required to include a determination as to whether federal wireless roadside inspection systems “conflict with existing electronic screening systems, or create capabilities already available; require additional statutory authority to incorporate generated inspection data into the safety measurement system or the safety fitness determinations program; and provide appropriate restrictions to specifically address privacy concerns of affected motor carriers and operators.”

- See more at: FAST Act: Congress seeks update Wireless Roadside Inspection pilot program

And we wonder why we went to eld's, elogs or whatever they want to call them now.

The reality is about to catch up to people.

Guilty until proven innocent.

Since I started planning my authority and business, I've been aware of this intent having started and reading articles about this going back to 2006 and 2007. Ten years ago.

They have high speed super coop now with thermal imaging, smart cameras to check authority and IFTA registration, weigh pads, and seat belt use. Kind of cool to actually watch them in action. They can check ten times the trucks a human observation can and better with the thermal cameras and stuff. Low hot tires, cool brakes, bad tags caught within seconds.

seen them in action in TN and also WI, ID and WA. PNW states like to use IR camera's at the bottom of a nice grade as you pull into a coop.

Yah buddy, your day just got better....;)

Had Level 3 and Level 1 inspections and learned just how much they track us on the road. Cameras capable of high speed pictures as you drive by on the interstate. Capture your picture of the driver, License plate, company name, unit number, DOT number. And then can pick it out of the image and record it.

Scale in Madison WI east bound 90/94/39 shows you that when you go inside and get chummy with the DOT officer.

I had the opportunity at Titan to work with the TTA for a couple brake check and CVSA programs. It was horrifying some of the stuff they found, and pretty cool how they found it.

The only thing that's horrifying is some people's attitudes toward this kind of high tech Big Brother crap.

"If you have nothing to hide.... " is the mantra of the sheep.

:rolleyes:

They do nothing that a normal inspection would not. It is just quicker with automation.

:rolleyes:

They do nothing that a normal inspection would not. It is just quicker with automation.
Wrong... quicker means more "inspektions". More houses getting raided to make sure they're not hiding any Jews in the attic.

I am for every Commercial Motor Vehicle being inspected daily. However the budget does not allow for that. But I applaud any effort to catch people with bad tires, brqkes, plates and the like which is exactly what those systems are designed to do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread