Politics "Factory" towns.

Electric Chicken

Premium
The only thing I ever order online is things I can't find locally. But I sure as **** won't order it from Jeff Bezos.
I don't like calling around or driving all over the place to try to locate things that aren't urgently needed. Especially if they're small items that cost more in gas to fetch than have sent to my porch for "free."

I also don't cope with crowds very well and as part of that have limited ability to "shop."

Duck

Sarcastic remark goes here
I don't like calling around or driving all over the place to try to locate things that aren't urgently needed. Especially if they're small items that cost more in gas to fetch than have sent to my porch for "free."

I also don't cope with crowds very well and as part of that have limited ability to "shop."
When I need a part for something I'm working on, I don't want it a week from now, I want it today.

Sinister

pari animositate
Premium
When I need a part for something I'm working on, I don't want it a week from now, I want it today.
Amazon will have it delivered in 45 minutes via drone. This is already happening in large cities via courier.

Many third party sellers move their stuff through Amazon which is why they don't need to lay exorbitant amounts for a storefront. They're still small business just running though Amazon. It says that in many product pages.

Amazon is also not the only online service through which to order things.

People continuing to rip other people off will not stop online ordering.

Electric Chicken

Premium
I can usually plan my projects out so there aren't any surprises. That whole emergency run to town hasn't happened in ages. It's far more convenient to order things, let them arrive through the week while I'm working and stack everything up to tackle on the weekend.

Duck

Amazon will have it delivered in 45 minutes via drone. This is already happening in large cities via courier.
I ordered this book on Amazon last year.

20211011_011305.jpg

It took almost two weeks to get here.

Even though it was printed 12 miles from my house, the day before it was delivered. It's out of print, they had to print it for my order. Still took them almost two weeks.

20211011_011337.jpg

I think they delayed it on purpose because I'm not a Prime member.

Duck

I can usually plan my projects out so there aren't any surprises. That whole emergency run to town hasn't happened in ages. It's far more convenient to order things, let them arrive through the week while I'm working and stack everything up to tackle on the weekend.
Until you find out the imbeciles sent the wrong part. That's happened to me when I ordered a digital ammeter for my 12 volt generator and another time this place up north of Seattle sent me the wrong rim for my tractor.

Then there was the time it took me 3 weeks to do an oil change on an ancient Harley Davidson golf cart because the imbeciles sent me the wrong filter and wouldn't send me the right one until they received the wrong one back, and it took FedEx a week to get it back & forth between here and Texas each time. Yeah f*k that parts by mail stuff.

Electric Chicken

Premium
Until you find out the imbeciles sent the wrong part. That's happened to me when I ordered a digital ammeter for my 12 volt generator and another time this place up north of Seattle sent me the wrong rim for my tractor.

Then there was the time it took me 3 weeks to do an oil change on an ancient Harley Davidson golf cart because the imbeciles sent me the wrong filter and wouldn't send me the right one until they received the wrong one back, and it took FedEx a week to get it back & forth between here and Texas each time. Yeah f*k that parts by mail stuff.
Yeah I'm going through it with my hood mirrors. The one arrived scuffed so I returned it. They sent another but it's not here yet.

Again not urgent. My mirrors are usable.

So like I said...it all depends what it is.

Sinister

pari animositate
Premium
I ordered this book on Amazon last year.

View attachment 85574

It took almost two weeks to get here.

Even though it was printed 12 miles from my house, the day before it was delivered. It's out of print, they had to print it for my order. Still took them almost two weeks.

View attachment 85575

I think they delayed it on purpose because I'm not a Prime member.
That's called Amazon POD. Print On Demand.

If it didn't exist you'd still be looking for that book.

Duck

That's called Amazon POD. Print On Demand.

If it didn't exist you'd still be looking for that book.
No I'd have said **** it & not bothered.

It's a fascinating story actually. The book seems unnecessarily long and rambling but I've read the story from other sources.

A Boeing 314 Clipper flying boat flying between California and New Zealand was on its last leg from New Caledonia to Auckland when Pearl Harbor was attacked. Pan Am "donated" the aircraft to the US Navy and the crew was ordered to deliver the aircraft to LaGuardia in NYC but since Japan had control of the pacific at the time, they were ordered to fly west, the long way around the world. They had no charts for those parts of the world and had to wing it.

True story. I have no idea why it's never been made into a movie.

Duck

Noble sentiment, but what if ya cant find what your lookin for local?
Absolute last resort, order it online. Otherwise drive a little further.

I live 50 miles outside of the third biggest city in the USA.

When I needed a length of pure silicone hose to connect with the super hot drain on the condensation trap on my shop furnace, I could have ordered it online and interrupted my project for a week. Instead I went up to a place that supplies the home "craft beer" brewing people because they had some. I don't know what it's used for in beer brewing but I needed it for it's heat tolerance.

Electric Chicken

Premium
Absolute last resort, order it online. Otherwise drive a little further.

I live 50 miles outside of the third biggest city in the USA.

When I needed a length of pure silicone hose to connect with the super hot drain on the condensation trap on my shop furnace, I could have ordered it online and interrupted my project for a week. Instead I went up to a place that supplies the home "craft beer" brewing people because they had some. I don't know what it's used for in beer brewing but I needed it for it's heat tolerance.
The idea of driving 50 miles for silicone perplexes me. I'd rather drop the project for a week and do something else in the meantime.

Semi truck parts are a different story though. Downtime is expensive.

389 Hood

Premium
I've been trying for a week to source front brake calipers for a '69 Cadillac. I always try the local places first. They all tell me not to be found, a month out at best. I order from some untried place in Oregon and I wait a week for them to be shipped and they are still wrong. Now I have to fight them for my money back or file a grievance with the credit card.

I ended up sourcing a set of rebuild kits and doing it myself for $1.63 per kit. They work perfectly.

After the 'mustard' that I found in the rear wheel cylinders, I figured the calipers were just as bad. They were, but I managed to make them as new. The brake fluid has never been flushed since new, 52 years ago. Lot of honing and cleaning.

Duck

The idea of driving 50 miles for silicone perplexes me. I'd rather drop the project for a week and do something else in the meantime.

Semi truck parts are a different story though. Downtime is expensive.
I hate having to stop and wait for shit during a project. I even hate it when I have to stop for an hour to go to Menards or the parts store.

But yeah, when I was driving trucks 5-6 days a week I hated driving anywhere when I was home.

Electric Chicken

Premium
I hate having to stop and wait for shit during a project. I even hate it when I have to stop for an hour to go to Menards or the parts store.

But yeah, when I was driving trucks 5-6 days a week I hated driving anywhere when I was home.
Understandable. I don't like driving around and I also don't like the act of shopping. But I'll do it if I have to.

Duck

Understandable. I don't like driving around and I also don't like the act of shopping. But I'll do it if I have to.
I like being able to see what I'm getting prior to dropping cash on the counter. Even if it means talking to stupid people in person.
I ended up sourcing a set of rebuild kits and doing it myself for $1.63 per kit. They work perfectly.
That's what you shoulda done in the first place. Derp. 😜

Users who are viewing this thread