Ex-Priest Defrocked For Sex Abuse Found Dead In Nevada Home

Thunder Road

A defrocked Roman Catholic priest who was among nearly 200 New Jersey priests facing accusations of sexual abuse was shot and killed in a Las Vegas suburb, officials said Tuesday.
John Capparelli, 70, was found dead Saturday inside the kitchen of his Henderson home with a gunshot wound to his neck, said Nicole Charlton, the Clark County Coroner’s Office medical examiner. Capparelli had moved into the $319,000 home in August 2016, according to property records.
Police believe Capparelli died amid “suspicious circumstances,” but authorities haven’t divulged details as to whether there’s a suspect in his death or if the killing had anything to do with the abuse allegations.
“Preliminary investigation indicates the victim died of suspicious circumstances, and the incident is being investigated as a homicide,” police said in a statement, according to NJ.com. “A suspect has not been identified at this time and police are following up on developed leads.”
Capparelli, who was included last month on a list of 180 priests facing abuse allegations as named by five New Jersey dioceses, was a math tutor for high school and college students.
Joann D’Angelo, a neighbor, told the Associated Press that Capparelli lived alone.
“He was a very quiet man,” she said. “He minded his own business.”
Capparelli was among the priests accused of groping and brutalizing teen boys in the 1970s and 1980s and was defrocked in 1992, according to an NJ.com report last month. He later worked as a public school math teacher in the Newark, N.J., School District but agreed to have his teaching licenses revoked in 2011 when the allegations first emerged.
Capparelli was also accused of running a website featuring young men wrestling in revealing bathing suits.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Last edited:

A defrocked Roman Catholic priest who was among nearly 200 New Jersey priests facing accusations of sexual abuse was shot and killed in a Las Vegas suburb, officials said Tuesday.
John Capparelli, 70, was found dead Saturday inside the kitchen of his Henderson home with a gunshot wound to his neck, said Nicole Charlton, the Clark County Coroner’s Office medical examiner. Capparelli had moved into the $319,000 home in August 2016, according to property records.
Police believe Capparelli died amid “suspicious circumstances,” but authorities haven’t divulged details as to whether there’s a suspect in his death or if the killing had anything to do with the abuse allegations.
“Preliminary investigation indicates the victim died of suspicious circumstances, and the incident is being investigated as a homicide,” police said in a statement, according to NJ.com. “A suspect has not been identified at this time and police are following up on developed leads.”
Capparelli, who was included last month on a list of 180 priests facing abuse allegations as named by five New Jersey dioceses, was a math tutor for high school and college students.
Joann D’Angelo, a neighbor, told the Associated Press that Capparelli lived alone.
“He was a very quiet man,” she said. “He minded his own business.”
Capparelli was among the priests accused of groping and brutalizing teen boys in the 1970s and 1980s and was defrocked in 1992, according to an NJ.com report last month. He later worked as a public school math teacher in the Newark, N.J., School District but agreed to have his teaching licenses revoked in 2011 when the allegations first emerged.
Capparelli was also accused of running a website featuring young men wrestling in revealing bathing suits.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
geez, where does a priest even come up with money for a home that pricey..??

also, according to my religion (catholic), it's against the bible (or church by-laws) to commit suicide....he'll go to hell now.

I wouldn't spend much time looking into his death. He is gone!

I was raised Catholic. The school and the whole deal. Yes they were always asking for money and guilt tripping.
The Catholic church is one of the richest in the world and the sad part is, It is the people that can least afford to give that give the most. Like those of south American countries.

I gave up organised religion a long time ago! I would consider myself spiritual.

I wouldn't spend much time looking into his death. He is gone!

I was raised Catholic. The school and the whole deal. Yes they were always asking for money and guilt tripping.
The Catholic church is one of the richest in the world and the sad part is, It is the people that can least afford to give that give the most. Like those of south American countries.

I gave up organised religion a long time ago! I would consider myself spiritual.
I might have been 13 when I saw the ruse of everyone sacrificing until it hurt except the preacher.

Stopped going as soon as I was old enough to not be forced.

also, according to my religion (catholic), it's against the bible (or church by-laws) to commit suicide....he'll go to hell now.
If you don't even know what parts of your religion are from the Bible and what was totally made up by some church leaders somewhere along the way, maybe it's time to ask yourself if it's a religion or a cult you belong to.
I went to a Baptist Church as a kid and they never stopped asking for money and laying guilt trips if they thought you didn’t give enough.

They are also tax exempt.
The Baptist church I went to never whined about being broke.

They held themselves to high standards. They had zero tolerance for liars or thieves among their leadership. They even fired a pastor because he used the church's credit card to get an alternator belt for his car. It was an emergency situation and they would've overlooked it if he had paid it back, but he didn't. My grandpa caught it during an audit several months later. He was one of the founders.

It's funny, we hear about all these cults that molest little girls. The Branch Davidians, Mormon offshoots like that Warren Jeff's guy, Tony Alamo, the Rajneeshis, the Jim Jones Kool aid cult in Guyana, scientology,..

There's tons of child molestation in the catholic cult but the majority of their members just ignore it and keep giving them money and access to their adolescent boys. 😡

Probably a hit and not suicide.
Yeah he might have had dirt on other catholic cult leaders.

Let’s not go down the road to bashing any religions.

As for tithing, a churches books should be open, not that you should have to examine them. If you feel something isn’t right, there are other churches.

With my church, the yearly tithes and offerings are up in the millions. The pastor lives well, and I have no problem with that. I’m not his judge.

I think it is sad that the church has to constantly beg for the money. In just about any church, you can probably do some easy math. Simply take the average yearly salary for people in the area, multiply that by 10% and quickly see that the majority aren’t paying their tithes to begin with.

Let’s not go down the road to bashing any religions.

As for tithing, a churches books should be open, not that you should have to examine them. If you feel something isn’t right, there are other churches.

With my church, the yearly tithes and offerings are up in the millions. The pastor lives well, and I have no problem with that. I’m not his judge.

I think it is sad that the church has to constantly beg for the money. In just about any church, you can probably do some easy math. Simply take the average yearly salary for people in the area, multiply that by 10% and quickly see that the majority aren’t paying their tithes to begin with.
You're not gonna judge a preacher who lives will but you're sure quick to judge people who can't or won't tithe.

My church's congregation was largely poor and it was very small. People gave more than they could to "push through" big expenses. First it was heat then roof then whatever. Eg there was always something huge to struggle through to pay for quickly.

And still the preacher had his house on a hill nicer than anyone in the congregation, and two brand new cars to boot.

I have no issue with organized religion as a concept but the implementation of it often leaves me wanting.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're not gonna judge a preacher who lives will but you're sure quick to judge people who can't or won't tithe.

Who’s judging? I’m stating fact. Whether somebody tithes or not, is between them and God.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread