Even Deep Ocean Vessels looking at LNG

Tazz

Infidel
About 97 ships worldwide are powered by LNG with an additional 91 on order, according to DNV GL. By 2020, the number may rise to around 250, excluding LNG carriers and inland waterway vessels, DNV reports. Most LNG-fueled ships now in use travel shorter routes, such as in the Baltics or between Florida and Puerto Rico. In most of these cases, LNG is delivered onto vessels by truck, slowing refueling and limiting its use to smaller vessels. Heftier infrastructure that ports will need to supply LNG to deep-sea ships is just starting to emerge. In 2014, Rotterdam became the first port where ship-to-ship LNG fueling was allowed. The first onshore fueling station with LNG opened in 2015 at Norway’s Stavanger port, equipped with a loading arm designed for the fuel.

Read more at: Ports Turn to Natural Gas in Quest for Cleaner Marine Fuel | Transport Topics Online

I saw Raven has started with LNG daycabs on a couple of their local dedicated guys here. Seeing more and more of them. We are even getting an LNG and CNG station down in Fayettevile. I heard a rumor Venture Express is going to buy 20 LNG trucks next to use on the Calsonic Account.

They were saying here that if an LNG tanker were to start on fire in Boston harbor it would burn for weeks and melt most of Boston. I may not have the facts straight but it was shocking.

with all the new uses they are doing with natural gas watch the price skyrocket in the next year or so I am all ready spending a few hundred bucks a month in the cold part of winter I can easily see it going up to 4-6 hundred in the near future.

with all the new uses they are doing with natural gas watch the price skyrocket in the next year or so I am all ready spending a few hundred bucks a month in the cold part of winter I can easily see it going up to 4-6 hundred in the near future.
then if that happens, i'll have to "re-convert" my home back to oil......

I saw Raven has started with LNG daycabs on a couple of their local dedicated guys here. Seeing more and more of them. We are even getting an LNG and CNG station down in Fayettevile. I heard a rumor Venture Express is going to buy 20 LNG trucks next to use on the Calsonic Account.

I still don't get the NG craze.
2/3's of the LPG in this country is manufactured from NG and the retail price for a [relatively] small quantity was $1.04 including residential delivery. They topped me off in January at $1.36.
That's per gallon so at $1.04 a DGE would cost about $1.56...
Since LPG has a about 2/3 the energy of diesel the cost for a DGE would be about $2.34
Add in state & federal fuel tax would bring the cost for highway use [here in MO] up to about $2.76.
The pump price here is currently about $2.19.

CNG requires over 3,000 psi, LNG requires chilling to minus 260 F.
CNG/LNG tanks cost up to ten grand and have a life of ten years.

I realize that the cost will be somewhat lower as scale increases but I don't see anyway for CNG/LNG to be cost effective except for the tax credits that exist right now. Once the credits cease it looks to me like a giant money pit.

Beside that where are the carriers that buy these white elephants going to unload them?

The equipment will be pretty much worthless IMO.

I have not done any numbers on them, but I hear rumblings some of our day cab guys may start a trial on these.

The Raven guys I bs'ed with on the radio were saying their company said $.23 a mile cheaper to run. No idea if that is total, fuel, maintenance, truck cost????

But if it is true I could, and do, see a lot of local drivers in LNG/CNG trucks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread