ELD provider KeepTruckin lets go of almost one-fifth its work force

Mike

KeepTruckin, the maker of electronic logging devices, has laid off 18% of its global workforce.

Employees who received the termination notice on March 31 in a letter signed by CEO Shoaib Makani were told that the layoffs were effective that day. In an email to FreightWaves, he said the company now has 1,550 employees.

The layoffs affected 349 employees out of a team of 1,900 employees, Makani said in the letter.

Reasons for the layoffs should bring pause to anybody in the freight industry who has been comforted by the strong volumes and rising rates of the past few weeks. Those volumes and rates have been fueled by demand to resupply store shelves that have been emptied of supplies by concerned buyers. Keep Truckin is seeing some other worrying signs.

Hmmm...vdo roadlog?

The idea of needing to change ELD providers is definitely one to think about. I'm not as concerned about losing use of the ELD as I am losing access to backed up logs and trip reports. As a matter of fact, it will now become a priority to back this stuff up myself from their system. Last thing we need is to wake up one morning to find out they went belly up, and we have no access to any of this data anymore.

Just as important, this appeared to be one of the more secure upstarts to hit the trucking industry in quite some time. If they are bleeding income this badly, what does this say in regards to the rest of the industry? Who else is quietly struggling toward bankruptcy? Think about the truck stop chains that have been in a race to outgrow each other for the last few years.

If keeptruckin has a 15-20% market share of the eld market, that's gonna leave a big hole to have to fill in.

It was said they had 500,000 drivers in 2017. Out of an industry of 3,500,000.

What is it 3 years later

If keeptruckin has a 15-20% market share of the eld market, that's gonna leave a big hole to have to fill in.

It was said they had 500,000 drivers in 2017. Out of an industry of 3,500,000.

What is it 3 years later
Virtually every facebook group and every forum promoted them. Most got referrals, I promoted them for free as I just felt they were the best option.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread