Motor Carrier EC's Going For It

There isn't anything in the authority process that requires you to pay someone to do, that you can't do yourself. Its easy. If you do pay someone, make sure you get the PIN codes that allow YOU to update your authority without paying more money.
Northland is insurance. But yeah I know I've already got the websites bookmarked to register/apply.

I'll probably ask you all about the various permits and such so I don't miss anything. IFTA is obvious, state by state is obvious but I'm sure there's a ton of them I don't know about as a company goober.

Obviously I haven't bought a truck, but my eyes are on a few. I'm most likely going to stick around the rail with a Class 8 and add a gooseneck for the hotshot as a filler/fair weather/market good side gig.

I know people don't usually do it but there's nothing wrong with doing each a little instead of one a lot. Or adding my brother in law as a driver if he wants to do it.

Obviously I haven't bought a truck, but my eyes are on a few. I'm most likely going to stick around the rail with a Class 8 and add a gooseneck for the hotshot as a filler/fair weather/market good side gig.

I know people don't usually do it but there's nothing wrong with doing each a little instead of one a lot. Or adding my brother in law as a driver if he wants to do it.
Probably better to not have your eggs all in one basket, regardless of what others opinions might be. I hope you have a successful adventure!

Northland is insurance. But yeah I know I've already got the websites bookmarked to register/apply.

I'll probably ask you all about the various permits and such so I don't miss anything. IFTA is obvious, state by state is obvious but I'm sure there's a ton of them I don't know about as a company goober.
States you'll have to register with.

New York. Both for weight distance and with OSCAR for a hut sticker.
Kentucky. (KYU number)
New Mexico (if you go there)
Oregon (if you go there)

For Colorado, just make sure the last 8 of your vin are on the truck next to your usdot number

Last edited:
As a motor carrier, you'll need to "hire" yourself. It sounds stupid, but these are things that the FMCSA will look for on your new entrant audit. Yes, you'll get one.

Driver employment application
Pre-employment drug screen
Motor vehicle history

This stuff needs to be dated before you actually drive a truck for yourself.

If you intend on starting anytime soon, your logs need to be squeaky clean. You should also start a file system for your paperwork... at least to pretend to them that your shit is in one sock.

my insurance lady says Northland is a good insurance company.I have them too

I am a OOIDA member and I have enrolled in their CMCI drug testing consortum
Like Ironpony said,those files need to be right when they come by to do their new entrance audit.
I had to fill out a application so I could hire myself too
copy of my driving record,etc
along with the log books
I think they are interested in 5 files

my old buddy Russell,tried that hotshot stuff but he gave it up after a year.He kept breaking down in his old duelly and he had some guy out of NY distatching him..He just didn`t like hunting up loads plus the cops liked pulling him in scalehouses and writing him tickets because he didn`t keep up to date on all the rules

good luck man

This website has all of the documents, forms and safety checklist that the new entrant audit will come in on you on to inspect

It used to be called the ETA manual but they changed it in 2016. Follow this to a tee and your new carrier audit will pass with no issues

This is the same manual that JJ Keller will charge you like $200

Last edited:
As a motor carrier, you'll need to "hire" yourself. It sounds stupid, but these are things that the FMCSA will look for on your new entrant audit. Yes, you'll get one.

Driver employment application
Pre-employment drug screen
Motor vehicle history

This stuff needs to be dated before you actually drive a truck for yourself.

If you intend on starting anytime soon, your logs need to be squeaky clean. You should also start a file system for your paperwork... at least to pretend to them that your **** is in one sock.
Just had my annual log review. Missed a couple instances of not having flags (eg On Duty time logged but doesn't actually say PreTrip or whatever else I was doing) but no violations.

Won't have any more of those since I now know we have to use this stupid slider thing even when there's only one "activity" for the time block.

Waiting on a callback from a Northland agent. Going to get the authority ball rolling.
Northland is great insurance, might be expensive starting out.

If the process looks confusing, easy to just go through OOIDA to get started, that way you are sure to do everything.

If insurance is overly expensive in the beginning, look into OOIDA for insurance the first year. If you ended up going with their insurance, they apply the authority fee to your insurance down payment.

Northland is great insurance, might be expensive starting out.

If the process looks confusing, easy to just go through OOIDA to get started, that way you are sure to do everything.

If insurance is overly expensive in the beginning, look into OOIDA for insurance the first year. If you ended up going with their insurance, they apply the authority fee to your insurance down payment.
I was going to say @Electric Chicken should shop around, and get several quotes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread