Eating Healthy on the road

That's what gave me the idea to get binoculars.I was close to my exit but could'nt see it because it was pouring out that day.I got my pair at shields for$200.00.You can buy a small pair at Walmart for under$100.00.I'm sure Cabelas has some really good ones.Any place that sells hunting equipment sells binoculars.
PATTY! olh my why I never!...........so where did ya get yer binoculars from I have no clue about buying a good pair......gigle not that I would look I may need to be able to read the street signs and such........

50 Fattest Foods? I thought it said 50 Fastest Foods at Helath.com. Now you have me raiding the frig. I know there is a piece of that peach pie we had last month. Now where is it? Just scrape off the green, that's OK.

Some of the biggest trouble with truck stop food is that it is all processed, frozen, with lots of salt and sugar, not to mention the grease from frying. I have to force myself to remove the skin from chicken or the batter covering. That cuts back on the grease and you still get the goodies inside.

Too bad there is not more fresh prepared and healthy cooking alternatives out there. But, with what they pay cooks, good luck finding someone that can really cook and not just microwave powered gravey.

I think the biggest battle for truckers is the same for anyone else; snacking between meals and lack of exercise.

Note: I am working with a professional trainer to come up with exercise that uses only a few weights (dumb bells) and elastic stretch bands for a three day rotation for about 20 minutes-per-day. To be healthy we also need to look at something aerobic with a heart beat of at least 120 for 20 minutes. That makes a big difference in burning off calories, getting a good rest, and a good resting heart beat. Cholesterol, diabetes and all the other sedimentary diseases also decrease or just disappear all together with a good aerobic exercise.

I want to learn to do Tai Chi as a daily routine and reward for myself. It promotes circulation, a centered calmness, relives and reduces stress, and improves coordination and balance.

I plan to take my bathing suit with me on the road. If I stay somewhere with a pool, I can go for a swim. It’s easy on the joints, improves range of motion, and circulation.

After resting I want to remember to do some stretching along with my safety walk around the truck. That helps with circulation and reduces on-the-job injuries such as back strain.

I know all this takes time, but how much time does it take? Why not take off the steel-toe shoes and put on a pair of tennis shoes. While waiting for a load I can do a little stretching and walking or a short jog for 5-15 minutes? I am not sure, but I think a lot of driver tiredness comes from just sitting for long periods of time. It can also lead to poor rest cycles.

I am a health nut, far from it. I am 58, over weight, balding, and pre-diabetic. Oh, I may have sleep apnea too. I want to motivate myself and hopefully, someone else might want to live a longer life like I do.

Why u ask flatlander,because we're LAZY,LOL.Only I have a couple things going for me,i'm not heavy and I am toned considering I do no exercises.But when I park it I park it way in the back and many times take tiny for a walk around the lot a couple times or a restarea.But I don't physically get out and exercise. like jumping jacks that sort of thing.I'm not calorie conscious.I see something I like i'll buy it.But many times I don't eat either because i'm just not hungry or i'd rather starve literally then eat truckstop food.But alot of times i'll drop the trailer and head to a real nice restraurant where the staff is as attractive as the restraurant itself.To me the staff says alot as to what the food is like.All these exercise programs u have planned when u go on the road,you'll be the fittest trk driver out here flat,LOL

Tiny, who is Tiny? I bet "Tiny" is a 125 lb Rot. As my threads say, I plan to, as in I hope to. I figure that if I can do something at least every day, such as in just walk and stretch I will be doing well. And hopefully, that is HOPEfully, I will be able to do something more at least three days per week. I have always wanted to learn Tai Chi. I have to work hard about the eating part. My wife says that no piece of chocolate is safe within an arm's reach of me. That's what seems safe about a cab. If there is no garbage into the cab, then it is hard to eat garbage. At my age I just want to level the playing field with the young guys and do some good miles. My youngest is just 13. I still have another five years of school, plus college. Retire? What's that?

LOL,Tiny is my 25 lb dog.She's a cockerspaniel and collie mix.Your wife is right,no chocolate is safe.You wanna lose weight,eat subway which I only eat if im really hungry.It's easy to gain weight out here.Guess the majority of the drivers like that greasy undercoooked truckstop crap.Me on the other hand very rarely eat truckstop food unless its some off the wall truckstop.You can keep shape out here,u just have to get your lazy ass out of the drivers seat.Theres plenty of time to keep fit as well as getting the miles.Alot of times while im parked waiting to get loaded or unloaded,i'll take my dog for a walk around the building and some of the places I go to are like a good couple miles around.
Tiny, who is Tiny? I bet "Tiny" is a 125 lb Rot. As my threads say, I plan to, as in I hope to. I figure that if I can do something at least every day, such as in just walk and stretch I will be doing well. And hopefully, that is HOPEfully, I will be able to do something more at least three days per week. I have always wanted to learn Tai Chi. I have to work hard about the eating part. My wife says that no piece of chocolate is safe within an arm's reach of me. That's what seems safe about a cab. If there is no garbage into the cab, then it is hard to eat garbage. At my age I just want to level the playing field with the young guys and do some good miles. My youngest is just 13. I still have another five years of school, plus college. Retire? What's that?

I get so many free meals that I have to be careful what I choose. I do a lot of walking just because I know it is good for me, plus I want to see these new places I take all the ppl to. (I love taking pictures). With the hours I work and the time that I am away from home, I find more of my groceries end up spoiling in the fridge than gets eaten. Then I find myself running out to fast food joints to pick up a quick meal. The stuff that wouldn't spoil have too many calories and sodium, just not a healthy choice. And thank goodness that McDonalds now has salads and yogurt parfaits.

I get so many free meals that I have to be careful what I choose. I do a lot of walking just because I know it is good for me, plus I want to see these new places I take all the ppl to. (I love taking pictures). With the hours I work and the time that I am away from home, I find more of my groceries end up spoiling in the fridge than gets eaten. Then I find myself running out to fast food joints to pick up a quick meal. The stuff that wouldn't spoil have too many calories and sodium, just not a healthy choice. And thank goodness that McDonalds now has salads and yogurt parfaits.

Too bad you couldn't rig up a small fridge in the bus, and take along a Foreman Grill.

I can relate about the fast food choices. You would think with as many different ones that the menus would never get old, but anymore just the thought of stopping at one of those joints takes my hungryspot away!

Speaking of McDonald's... their banana/strawberry smoothie taste great and will give you brain freeze in about 10 seconds. It's gotta' be the coldest thing I've ever consumed.

Now, if they would add about 3 ounces of Bacardi to the blend they'd get all the fast food business they could handle.

I have never tried that.Next time im at a mc donalds i'm going to get a banana strawberry smoothie.
Speaking of McDonald's... their banana/strawberry smoothie taste great and will give you brain freeze in about 10 seconds. It's gotta' be the coldest thing I've ever consumed.

Now, if they would add about 3 ounces of Bacardi to the blend they'd get all the fast food business they could handle.

LOL,just the smoothie.Although adding a little Bacardi might not taste too bad,LOL.

How about Margarita shooters made with Jell-O? A few of these and you will jiggle as you walk. lol

By the way, went to the state fair a few weeks ago. How about a Muddy Pig? A strip of deep-fried bacon on a stick, dipped in chocolate, with a cherry on top. How do you spell relief? R-O-L-A-I-D-S

How about Margarita shooters made with Jell-O? A few of these and you will jiggle as you walk. lol

By the way, went to the state fair a few weeks ago. How about a Muddy Pig? A strip of deep-fried bacon on a stick, dipped in chocolate, with a cherry on top. How do you spell relief? R-O-L-A-I-D-S

OMG that just sounds awful. You can keep your muddy pig.

I know we all whine about truckstops and how bad they are but I have a partial solution. Lets not forget the deli's at Walmart and Meiier. You can park at most of them (at the ones that ban parking, i just go around back and park near the docks, like I am going in to make a delivery. Im gone before they figure it out...) and run in and get what you need.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread