Eating Healthy on the road

jmulcahy

Any tips? Any good appliances that are a must to help with this? Thanks!

Better have your pen and paper handy,you're going to get alot of advice.I drive but don't eat healthy.I see something I like i'll buy it.Many have microwaves and fridges,I do not.I would suggest doing all your grocery shopping at Walmart or your nearby grocery.Stay away from eating and buying food from truckstops.They're WAYYYYYYY OVERPRICED and many have stale food.Many truckstops have fast foods but you eat too much of that you'll go broke and gain weight.Get yourself tupperware containers and buy meats fruits and vegetables.
Any tips? Any good appliances that are a must to help with this? Thanks!

Eat raw fruits and veggies, plenty of water, stay away from the caffeine and the truckstop buffets and fast food places, at least that was what my doctor told me,,, let me know if it works,.

i cook in my truck as much as possiable......friuts and veggies and lots of water I have a fridge a toaster oven and easy bake oven a micowave and an elec skillet

I used to carry a small propane stove and a hibachi, then I realized I was spending way to much time in the truck, still carry the stove in the winter time though, get snowed in, it is nice to be able cook something now that I quit carrying the microwave with me

Easy bake oven???????Is'nt that sold in the toy store?LOLKidding.When I was a kid I got that one yr for xmas,but I know thats not the easy bake oven u mean,LOL.
i cook in my truck as much as possiable......friuts and veggies and lots of water I have a fridge a toaster oven and easy bake oven a micowave and an elec skillet

Grapes, carrots, apples, trail mix, and, water are my travel foods. They're all easy to munch while driving. Sometimes, during a weak moment, I'll buy a bag of cookies, usually chocolate, and, try to make them last for the week.

I'm not too sure how healthy they are, but, I like to pick up a dozen hot wings from the fuel counter deli (Petro) and have something substantial to munch, again while driving. Chicken is suppose to be better for us, right?

I will eat restaurant food, at least once a day. Sometimes, it's a traditional breakfast, sometimes it's lunch or dinner. Gotta' have a little grease and oil to keep the pipes from rusting.

Grapes, carrots, apples, trail mix, and, water are my travel foods. They're all easy to munch while driving. Sometimes, during a weak moment, I'll buy a bag of cookies, usually chocolate, and, try to make them last for the week.

I'm not too sure how healthy they are, but, I like to pick up a dozen hot wings from the fuel counter deli (Petro) and have something substantial to munch, again while driving. Chicken is suppose to be better for us, right?

I will eat restaurant food, at least once a day. Sometimes, it's a traditional breakfast, sometimes it's lunch or dinner. Gotta' have a little grease and oil to keep the pipes from rusting.

The chicken is o.k., it is the stuff you put on them that is not healthy

OK guys. Stand up, drop your pants. Look down. If you can’t see your pecker, you may be too fat. If you sleep on your stomach and keep waking up because you think you are going to tip over, you may be too fat. If you are looking at a new driver's seat that has more sitting room than back support, you may be too fat. If you think sugar and oil are the keystones of a good diet, you may be too fat. If you didn't think his was funny. You are too fat!

The hard part about healthy food is the prep time. Fast and cheap food is a lot of carbs and oil. I have traveled a lot and have one icebox for dry food and one for cold food. I buy before I travel. I know that when I get tired I start to crave carbs. It is a real battle. How long does it really take to cut up an apple or eat some fruit or veggies? Often I will eat some apple and drink a glass of water before I go in to eat. Then I only eat what I need and stop before I over eat. My wife makes cookies for me with natural sweeteners, like honey. They are about the size of a quarter. I can have two a day, after each main meal. I have poached eggs, no bacon, etc. Sounds bland but I have lost over 40 lbs, I am no longer pre-diabetic, and my cholesterol is in the very healthy range. My resting heart rate has dropped 15 beats per minute. I also quit drinking all soda, sugar or diet. The best part, I look good and feel great. I eat everything I did before. I just eat smarter.

Easy bake oven? Do you "bake" tiny little bite sized pies and cakes with it? :p

. . . . . . Sometimes, during a weak moment, I'll buy a bag of cookies, usually chocolate, and, try to make them last for the week . . . . . . .

Did someone mention CHOCOLATE?

When I drove truck, I lived on peanut m&m's and coffee. Now that I drive the big bus I eat grilled chicken salads and yogurt. I still drink my coffee but not as much as I used to. 3 cups a day is pretty much my limit. Soda pop always did make me sick.

Hay, has anyone tried wrapping meat in layers of foil with vegies and then resting it in the engine compartment to cook until the next stop? I hear it works great. But when you stop the other drivers may look a little funny at you as they pass the truck and wonder, "Did I really smell pot roast coming from that guy's engine?"

Or it could just be to short

It ain't the size of the ship that gets ya seasick, it's the motion of the ocean!

Hay, has anyone tried wrapping meat in layers of foil with vegies and then resting it in the engine compartment to cook until the next stop? I hear it works great. But when you stop the other drivers may look a little funny at you as they pass the truck and wonder, "Did I really smell pot roast coming from that guy's engine?"

When I was a kid we traveled across the states in a car, and my mom made Hobo Stew that way. Some ground chuck, chopped up carrots, potatoes and onions, a little beef bullion and a splash of water. A few hundred miles down the road and we were having a hearty meal.

Mmmmmmmm . . . . . .tasty!!

A gym at truck stops?

Really, wow. That sure beats another happy meal. But how do you wash the dishes? Sadly, it all boils down, no pun intended, to time, and time is money. How do you prepare healthy, good tasting, and easy to fix food while on the road?

For exercise I'm trying to set up a program with three different days of 20 minute exercises to keep fit while on the road. I wonder how it would go if truck stops started installing a small gym with a few pieces of equipment? Is truckin' ready for the next generation of healthy drivers. :monkeydance:

LOL

Really, wow. That sure beats another happy meal. But how do you wash the dishes? Sadly, it all boils down, no pun intended, to time, and time is money. How do you prepare healthy, good tasting, and easy to fix food while on the road?

For exercise I'm trying to set up a program with three different days of 20 minute exercises to keep fit while on the road. I wonder how it would go if truck stops started installing a small gym with a few pieces of equipment? Is truckin' ready for the next generation of healthy drivers. :monkeydance:
Knowing those cheap ass truckstops they'll charge u so much an hr.I seen a driver not too long working outside right next to his trk.Nosey me had to get my binoculars out.He looked mighty fine,LOL

Knowing those cheap ass truckstops they'll charge u so much an hr.I seen a driver not too long working outside right next to his trk.Nosey me had to get my binoculars out.He looked mighty fine,LOL

PATTY! olh my why I never!...........so where did ya get yer binoculars from I have no clue about buying a good pair......gigle not that I would look I may need to be able to read the street signs and such........

This is'nt exactly healthy but they're SOOOOOO GOOOD,Jalapeno poppers with ranch dressing.They're expensive.Some trk stops do sell em like 50 cents to a buck a piece.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread