Driverless truck on NBC news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Komainu

Just saw this. May our jobs be going away ?

I'm doing specs on a new Freightliner. At this point, holding off for another year or two most likely, but getting updated regularly on the new stuff.

IP5 seems just about ready to drive itself, without all of these crazy cameras hung all over the truck. The cascadia that will be available to order later this year will stop and start on its own with the cruise set and will guide itself down the highway without you steering it. The system requires your hand to touch the steering wheel every minute or so as a precaution, but it needs no input from you to maintain it's lane.

The technology is here, I just don't know if it would ever be "bug free" enough to go mainstream.

The newest Boeing 737 has killed close to 400 people in the last 5 months due to crashes. That is an autonomous system that can be backed up by human interaction. Seems the two aren't coexisting very well together.

I mention the 737 because you know truck drivers likely won't be able to just let the truck make decisions. I can't sit in the passenger seat of a vehicle without 2nd guessing the drivers decisions and trying to apply my imaginary brake pedal all the time.

The Boeing is a good case against automation. Apparently many pilots have complained about the automation pitching the nose down.

The Boeing is a good case against automation. Apparently many pilots have complained about the automation pitching the nose down.

And in the end, you will likely see that Boeing will blame this all on a lack of training ,stating that the pilots need to let the automation just do it's thing.

Trump ordered them all grounded yesterday or the day before.

I wish he would do the same with all the robot cars and trucks, but make it permanent.

And in the end, you will likely see that Boeing will blame this all on a lack of training ,stating that the pilots need to let the automation just do it's thing.

If the software eggheads won’t listen to Pilots I’m thinking they won’t listen to Truck Drivers.

If the software eggheads won’t listen to Pilots I’m thinking they won’t listen to Truck Drivers.
between the software eggheads and the only internet right now is 4G LTE wich is not enough for all of these data hogs!!!

We have a number of long threads discussing this. Yes, a lot of driving jobs will go away, but it will take many years for it to happen, IMO. Other job opportunities will be created.

Current estimates are that 40 million jobs will be lost to AI by 2030, and not just in trucking.

In the 1970s if you wanted money from your paycheck, you went to a bank, and did the transaction with a person. Today? How often do you talk to a bank teller, vs use an ATM?

It's happening. Don't be afraid of change - embrace it, and scheme a way to profit from change. Or be run over by it.

As our Marine friends would say, adapt and overcome!

We have a number of long threads discussing this. Yes, a lot of driving jobs will go away, but it will take many years for it to happen, IMO. Other job opportunities will be created.

Current estimates are that 40 million jobs will be lost to AI by 2030, and not just in trucking.

In the 1970s if you wanted money from your paycheck, you went to a bank, and did the transaction with a person. Today? How often do you talk to a bank teller, vs use an ATM?

It's happening. Don't be afraid of change - embrace it, and scheme a way to profit from change. Or be run over by it.

As our Marine friends would say, adapt and overcome!
Your right, but don’t have to like it

let me put it to you in a few different scenarios....

the CDL Mills are churning out students that are morons, idiots, criminals, drug and alcohol addicts

in effect, steering wheel holders. the turn over rate for newbies is incredibly high.

companies insurance rates are thru the roof, thanks in part to the above mention jerks behind the wheel.

PROFESSIONAL drivers have good jobs, and will not leave them, many will just retire from them.

steering wheel holders want lots of time off, only wanna drive, and only the best of the best of all equipment.

it WILL BE cheaper, to have a PROFESSIONAL driver sitting in the drivers seat, to take over when needed.

yes, this will IN TIME, eliminate MANY (if not all) steering wheel holders, thank god almighty.

would i give a flying frick if this happens...??

hell no, i did my time, i could care less....

but tell you what, i can "see", many new trades schools, opening up soon..........

dear god, inept carpenters, plumbers, electricians.......soon to hit the work force.

Wait what's wrong with desiring to work less for more money in good equipment and not deal with the BS of handling freight yourself?
Because the "for more money" part is actually quite the opposite.

Because the "for more money" part is actually quite the opposite.
Every once in a blue moon you actually get it.

...except what the carriers really want is to promote the vast majority of drivers to no money. Zip, zilch, nada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread