Driver training ideas? Weigh in at FMCSA's listening session

Mike

Have thoughts on what training new drivers to the industry should have? Horror stories from your own training experience that FMCSA should know about? You can share your thoughts, ideas and experiences with FMCSA in January.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration will hold a public listening session from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. EST on Jan. 7, 2013, at the Charlotte Convention Center in Charlotte, NC. The sessions will be held in rooms 207 A and B.
Truck parking is available at the intersection of Caldwell Street and E. Stonewall Street, as well as in the CCC Marshalling Yard, which is just more than 1 mile away from the Convention Center. The Convention Center staff has yet to confirm whether shuttle service will be offered from the CCC Marshalling Yard.

Full Story

I don't think there is any training for new people other then to survive learning. Going around a right hand corner and slamming on the brakes when you realize your going to rip this guys bumper off. You say, holy crap!!!! That will be burned into my mind. Braking into the exit ramp corner when there's snow on the ground. Holy crap!!!! Hitting the brakes during a rain storm and not much happens. Holy crap!!!! Blocking a lane when making a tight right turn. This one you learn the hard way saying to yourself, now what do I do. One good scare loaded heavy bombing down a hill in Wyoming then seeing smoke coming out of your trailer brakes.

You can tell a child not to touch something because it's hot but it won't sink in until they do.

I sure do. You can not be a trainer until you have at least 2 years of stick time... you must be able to recite this and comprehend this... in a truck restricted area (trucks right two lanes only) the left lane is not the place for your 50 mph truck in a 70 mph speed zone....

I don't think there is any training for new people other then to survive learning. Going around a right hand corner and slamming on the brakes when you realize your going to rip this guys bumper off. You say, holy crap!!!! That will be burned into my mind. Braking into the exit ramp corner when there's snow on the ground. Holy crap!!!! Hitting the brakes during a rain storm and not much happens. Holy crap!!!! Blocking a lane when making a tight right turn. This one you learn the hard way saying to yourself, now what do I do. One good scare loaded heavy bombing down a hill in Wyoming then seeing smoke coming out of your trailer brakes.

You can tell a child not to touch something because it's hot but it won't sink in until they do.

Early Friday morning, for the first time in 8 years of driving trucks, while driving on solid ice in Iowa, I got to experience a complete & total brake failure due to ice in the lines. That was rather interesting. Good thing I was the only one stupid enough to be out on the road at the time.

I don't think there's any way to "train" people for that.

Early Friday morning, for the first time in 8 years of driving trucks, while driving on solid ice in Iowa, I got to experience a complete & total brake failure due to ice in the lines. That was rather interesting. Good thing I was the only one stupid enough to be out on the road at the time.

I don't think there's any way to "train" people for that.

Sure there is. You set them on a skid pad with equipment designed to replicate failure on low traction surfaces. A rc servo to regulate brake efficiency, and a trainer with a mean streak whose sole purpose is to wash out the inept. Shock collars for equipment contact on the scrotum and we have some trainees that are going to know exactly why you get the F out if your not sure and look!

And as someone says minimum of two years to be a trainer on the road. Graduated licenses which require 30 days of supervised operation where the trainer must be logged as traing(on duty), and a further 1 year as a provisional CSL holder where infractions such as speeding, failure to maintain lane, tailgating, and any at fault accident involving property damage, injury, or death earn a lifetime restriction from holding a CSL.

Way to easy to get one, far to many with one have no business with one.

Thanks for post Mike. Might try and make it there.

Puleese people! All of you out here with 10 yrs more got your ticket and hit the road with no company training. You learned how to act by drivers that had some experience. True enough the new generation don't even have c.b.'s or have them turned on so you can chastise them for their actions but, Don't try to pretend that you didn't come out of the gate the same way.

I love when I hear old timers say they never had any training or schooling, So you just jumped out here with zero training? Thats impressive! No wonder you are still making the same mistakes.

We have a culture, That we must retain, It gets passed down from generation to generation. If you do not try to correct a new driver YOU are the problem.

Puleese people! All of you out here with 10 yrs more got your ticket and hit the road with no company training. You learned how to act by drivers that had some experience. True enough the new generation don't even have c.b.'s or have them turned on so you can chastise them for their actions but, Don't try to pretend that you didn't come out of the gate the same way.

I love when I hear old timers say they never had any training or schooling, So you just jumped out here with zero training? Thats impressive! No wonder you are still making the same mistakes.

We have a culture, That we must retain, It gets passed down from generation to generation. If you do not try to correct a new driver YOU are the problem.
There's a line between ridiculing and educating. Some don't care which side they're on.

I don't think the problem is training, rather the culture of learning as much as possible with minimal effort. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't stop him from swimming.

There's a line between ridiculing and educating. Some don't care which side they're on.
What side of the fence are you on? A like would differentiate whether you are being sincere or sarcastic. just passing it down on how we have been doing it for years on the forum.

What side of the fence are you on? A like would differentiate whether you are being sincere or sarcastic. just passing it down on how we have been doing it for years on the forum.
I like to pass on a bit of information when I can, scales locked up, bear report, over sized blocking the right lane so on so forth. Most of the stuff I say, on this forum, is with much sarcasm... I treat other driver as I would like to be treated... If it wasn't for this forum, I would be another asshole with Swift painted on the side of my triailer. Indeed it is the responsibility of those with more knowledge to pass it on, as is those in need of it to search it out.

There is much to be learned about trucking, and much of it is shared right here. I feel I have an advantage over those who only learn the job as their company wants it done.

Lol....I did!! Been driving since 2006. Never drove a truck. Went to a school that got me my CDL. Went out bought a truck, flatbed, authority and a book on how to secure a load and took off.

What I find surprising is that I was taught the bare minimum to pass the test. My road test consisted of driving down the highway from the scale house to the next exit and turning around. There ya go, your qualified. Soon after I hauled my first load from Mass to Vernal, UT. Crane beams chained and tarped and at max weight.

I couldn't pull into a fuel island unless I had 3 football fields to straighten my truck out. Down shifting took 6 months without grinding the gears.

I tried to hire a few drivers to ride with me. I was willing to pay them $1,000 per week plus hotels and all expenses but no takers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread