DOT Physical

Allyxon

Saw that there's a few things you have to list when you get your physical (heart issues, breathing issues, drug abuse, mental issues, chronic pain, etc.). Is that mostly for medication and keeping track of drivers who may be a danger to themselves or the public while driving?

I do have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, a connective tissue disorder, and I'm not bothered by it too much since I'm not working with livestock anymore, but I DO get slight pain from it sometimes out of the blue. Not taking anything for it at all. No meds. No "natural" remedies. Not even Aleve or anything over the counter.

Also have depression... saw 2 drs for it both who refused to give me any meds or treatment *at all* so I'm dealing without. But I do know that once I get my license and get a decent job a LOT of my stress will go away so I should be fine in a few months.
Would I have to list these?

Allyxon

Also: will any of the above DISQUALIFY me from getting the dot card???

(Unrelated: Mötley Crüe's "Shout at the Devil" - prefer original or 1997 version?)

patriciajnsn

Steering Wheel Holder
Saw that there's a few things you have to list when you get your physical (heart issues, breathing issues, drug abuse, mental issues, chronic pain, etc.). Is that mostly for medication and keeping track of drivers who may be a danger to themselves or the public while driving?

I do have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, a connective tissue disorder, and I'm not bothered by it too much since I'm not working with livestock anymore, but I DO get slight pain from it sometimes out of the blue. Not taking anything for it at all. No meds. No "natural" remedies. Not even Aleve or anything over the counter.

Also have depression... saw 2 drs for it both who refused to give me any meds or treatment *at all* so I'm dealing without. But I do know that once I get my license and get a decent job a LOT of my stress will go away so I should be fine in a few months.
As long as you're not on any medication and your disorder won't interfere with the physical like the blood pressure maybe a few exercises I won't list anything.

** Commie Express **
Supporter
I have high blood pressure and take medication. I never put anything down on my DOT physical about it and get a 2 year certificate every time.

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
I have high blood pressure and take medication. I never put anything down on my DOT physical about it and get a 2 year certificate every time.
Then LaLa fell down and we all laughed...
except LaLa...
LaLa was pissed off.
:D

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
But I do know that once I get my license and get a decent job a LOT of my stress will go away so I should be fine in a few months.
uh....no...once you start driving...the stress goes up, up, up......

this IS NOT a stress free job.

don't fool yourself.

as for that skin condition you have..??

and ANY PAINS.....?????.

shut up about it/them/whatever........

DrDaliah

Supporter

That's a good question. I know you're supposed to give your full medical history to the examiner, but I don't think mild depression or EDS prevents you from being certified.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
That's a good question. I know you're supposed to give your full medical history to the examiner, but I don't think mild depression or EDS prevents you from being certified.
but doc, i wonder if she discloses the mild depression, if they deny her a medical card till she has some sort of clearance from her personal doctor.

with the sleep apnea BS of many clinics saying YOU MUST HAVE a sleep test, even though not mandated by the DOT, who's to say she doesn't go through the ringer for her "mild depression"..????

if a person answers (i think) just one question wrong about sleeping habits...BAM..he's sent for a sleep test.

i know, i was at my regular DOT clinic, and the guy in the next stall was told he HAD TO take a sleep test, cuz he answered that he naps during the day......

like WTF is wrong with a nap..???

uh..haa...i'd not mention too much stuff......

DrDaliah

Supporter
You're right, the sleep test will be mandated if someone has sleep apnea. Mild depression or using antidepressants I don't believe disqualifies you unless the meds make one sleepy

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
You're right, the sleep test will be mandated if someone has sleep apnea. Mild depression or using antidepressants I don't believe disqualifies you unless the meds make one sleepy
true, but i have read on some other message boards, a company will put a driver thru the ringer for any mention of meds for depression, anxiety, etc,etc.

i know from the company stand point, it can be a liability in any crash. but i also wonder how many other professions are as BS about meds as trucking is.

Tazz

Infidel
It is a catch 22. Tell them and they may twist you through the wringer. Lie and be caught later, maybe at a trial for an accident, and your done.

You can have your card denied, revoked, and could face fines.
What happens if a driver is not truthful about his/her health history on the medical examination for

The FMCSA medical certification process is designed to ensure drivers are physically qualified to operate commercial vehicles safely. Each driver is required to complete the Health History section on the first page of the examination report and certify that the responses are complete and true. The driver must also certify that he/she understands that inaccurate, false or misleading information may invalidate the examination and medical examiner's certificate.
FMCSA relies on the medical examiner's clinical judgment to decide whether additional information should be obtained from the driver's treating physician. Deliberate omission or falsification of information may invalidate the examination and any certificate issued based on it. A civil penalty may also be levied against the driver under 49 U.S.C. 521(b)(2)(b), either for making a false statement of for concealing a disqualifying condition.

Allyxon

uh....no...once you start driving...the stress goes up, up, up......

this IS NOT a stress free job.

don't fool yourself.

as for that skin condition you have..??

and ANY PAINS.....?????.

shut up about it/them/whatever........
Have a lot of stress now because my job doesn't pay anything and I hate it. Plus all I want to do is drive... I can handle road stress and being alone, what I can't handle is what I have right now.
Customer service.
:mad:
Hate. I am not good with people and catering to their special feelings or having to tiptoe around specific wording of things. Would much rather get pissed off on the road than at my current job.

And my condition... (education time) EDS is a connective tissue disorder. Not just skin, but joints, internal organs, tissue... it gets really bad. I have very, *very* mild eds. I'm really lucky. I used to work & ride horses but I stopped this year so as to not hurt myself any more. Personal decision, didn't want to have another fall & really kill my back. But my joints used to "sublux" or come out of place slightly. I just pushed them back in. But I haven't had subluxations in months!! I'm happy about that!!
It does cause pain, just an annoyance if I've been standing for hours at a time doing nothing. Like at my job. That I hate very much.:thumbsup:

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
Have a lot of stress now because my job doesn't pay anything and I hate it. Plus all I want to do is drive... I can handle road stress and being alone, what I can't handle is what I have right now.
Customer service.
:mad:
i hate customer service as well, but from a customers point of view..lol

Hate. I am not good with people and catering to their special feelings or having to tiptoe around specific wording of things. Would much rather get pissed off on the road than at my current job.
i hate people too, can't stand them...but you could end up in a world of hurt if you let your pissed off feelings cause a crash. even backing up (say) and you are pissed off about something, your mind may not be fully on the job at hand....you think you will be...but you had better think again. many accidents happen when someone is not fully concentrating on the road.....

And my condition... (education time) EDS is a connective tissue disorder. Not just skin, but joints, internal organs, tissue... it gets really bad. I have very, *very* mild eds. I'm really lucky. I used to work & ride horses but I stopped this year so as to not hurt myself any more. Personal decision, didn't want to have another fall & really kill my back. But my joints used to "sublux" or come out of place slightly. I just pushed them back in. But I haven't had subluxations in months!! I'm happy about that!!
It does cause pain, just an annoyance if I've been standing for hours at a time doing nothing. Like at my job. That I hate very much.:thumbsup:
i could have looked up your condition, but didn't think it was pertinent to your worried mind about the meds you are (or are not taking right now). if you think your joints won't get out of place as a driver, again, you are fooling yourself. there may be a time when you are in the parking lot of a customer, and you may have to climb up into the trailer to adjust something, before you hit the dock. or you may be in a truck stop, or on the side of the road, again, having to climb up into the trailer...that climbing, then the getting down from that height, can make your joints go out of whack.

if you think it's all peaches and cream being a driver, cuz your current job sucks lemons, you are in for a rude awakening.

i know you will still pursue a driving career, but you are blind to all the facts, by what you see.....in your minds eye.

i wish you well......but don't think for a moment, you will not have your health issues crop up, doing this type of work..you think riding a horse was painful..???

wait till you get out there on some of these roads......you ain't seen nothing yet.

there will be days, you'll think you're riding a bucking bronco......

by your BIO, you are only 18 years old.>???

you ain't lived long enough to work, let alone complain about it. i got work boots older than you. (seriously, i do).

is this customer service job your first job ever..????

if so, get another job, suck it up and actually apply yourself to learn the job and be good at it. just cuz customer service sucks, doesn't mean all jobs suck. i think you're way too young to know what really sucks in life. become a trucker, and by the powers of god, you will find out.

at your age, continue your education, even if college is not an option, there are medical schools, for med techs, x-ray, MRI etc, that WILL PAY MORE and the workload is not like the day to day job of a trucker. plus you'd be in a MUCH cleaner environment....

and you WILL NOT have to put up with all sorts of the old crap, and the new crap coming to this industry.

GOOOOOOD....LUUUUCK..............

Last edited:

Electric Chicken

Supporter
BTW you gotta go into customer service mode every time you pickup or deliver at a...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

...customer. Every warehouse, store, railyard, etc is our customer. Your good or bad attitude can make or break getting in and out smoothly and quickly. I've seen drivers be forced so sit and wait just because they were assholes why my pleases and thank yous got me in and out before they even got in.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
BTW you gotta go into customer service mode every time you pickup or deliver at a...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

...customer. Every warehouse, store, railyard, etc is our customer. Your good or bad attitude can make or break getting in and out smoothly and quickly. I've seen drivers be forced so sit and wait just because they were assholes why my pleases and thank yous got me in and out before they even got in.
that carry's over at the scale houses too.

i pulled into the CT scales, northbound on I-95, and i had to go inside, with all my paperwork......ok.

there was a driver in there, giving them a mouthful.

i walked in, said, "hi guys"....

the one officer who was listening to the big mouth yapping at the other officer, asked me.."did you bring the popcorn"...??

i said, "uh...i forgot".....

he said..."get outta here, we're gonna be REAL BUSY in a minute or two"....

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
i pulled into the scales somewhere in Indiana.

an older lady DOT was at the counter, as i was told to come inside.

i had all my usual paperwork ready. she said i had a missing mud flap on my trailer, and i'ts a $25 (or whatever) fine. i said, oh, i'm sorry, it really was there on my pre-trip.

in a room towards the back, the room was full of troopers.

she said, i'll just give you a warning, not a fine/ticket.

then she offered me some candy from the counter.

off i went.

i always enter a scalehouse with a good attitude, many times, got away with stuff, others get tickets for.

pays to be nice.