Does your air dryer purge every 15 seonds?

r3gulator3

IMA KEEP IT REDNECK
Parked here and noticed more and more trucks experiencing this problem. Purging or "sneezing" every 15 seconds. Especially noticable now that it's winter and folks idle all night. Not only can it be annoying to you but for someone like me...it's like raking nails down a chalk board all night. You need to get this fixed.

Possible likely causes is a bad purge valve or a pin hole in the sense line to the governor. Either are relatively cheap to fix and will save you from more expensive repairs like replacing the air dryer and air compressor.

Yes if you let this problem go on long enough you will need to replace the air compressor as it will over work it.

This has been a regulator3 public service announcement.:soapbox:

Icing up.

When my truck does it, I just put a new dessicant cartridge on the truck.

Or go south where it's warmer.

But I still put a dessicant cartridge on.

I had a guy tell me "It is programmed to do it more in the cold to keep water out"

Yeah that is driving down the street. He was in one of those rent to own trucks I see popping up around Duckville]

Just where I see them at. Either at the Petro or Loves coming out of Elwood.
How often are you up here?
Hopefully they always stick a pallet of Cocoa Puffs in your trailer so it's always available wherever you're going. ;)
What's it doing if it rattles/hisses before it pops off?
Or which part needs to be looked at?
I always assumed that's a toy they put on it.

I'd like to cut up a Whoopi cushion and rig it up with duct tape so it farts.

Depends. It is usually over to Elwood IDC/FLO for my EWW way home from the frozen tundra. I do not get those fun weeks like @Sinister running up there consistently.

I did do a store load to 1307 last time I ended up at 6092.

Icing up.

When my truck does it, I just put a new dessicant cartridge on the truck.

Or go south where it's warmer.

But I still put a dessicant cartridge on.

It's not frozen when it's 50 degrees outside. But good point they can also freeze.

I just read that those were supposed to be replaced as maintenance via a certain mileage. First I had ever heard that.
as far as I am concerned, it's seasonal. If it's been REALLY rainy or high humidity, that desiccant cartridge has been working overtime. Been running north/south, same thing. Been running the coastal, same thing. Been running the desert or high plains, eh, not so much.

I just read that those were supposed to be replaced as maintenance via a certain mileage. First I had ever heard that.
It's actually recommend by Freightliner to replace the cartridge annually. Your oem may have different guidelines.

was not evident in the original post. But yes, the people that have that are just as annoying as the wonderboys who's fans are kicking on and off every 20-45 seconds.
Yes sorry I should of put it in there. There were 2 trucks parked to my left that we're constantly purging and I counted another four on my way into the truckstop yesterday evening. Just gets me how overlooked air systems are on trucks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread