DEF Does Def get used up faster.....

quillcom

In hot weather. What driving situation uses more def: high rpm/ downshifting/ etc ???

The idling builds up soot and makes the engine think it is working hard. But yeah idling is horrible for these newer trucks

The difference being that during a regen there is a diesel injector placing fuel in a burn chamber burning off the soot. Not real sure how you burn soot but :dunno:
You burn soot by using a hotter flame than what deposited the soot.

Take an acetylene torch. Light only the acetylene. Wave the flame over a piece of scrap metal til it's black. Then turn on the oxygen, adjust to neutral flame and it'll burn off the soot.

Good analogy. Never looked at it that way.
Take a 55 gallon drum & cut a little door near the bottom but leave one side uncut & bend it like a hinge. Get a fire going inside it. Black stuff will build up on the inside of the drum.

Then take a squirrel cage blower fan and lie it on its side so it blows into that little door at the bottom.

It creates a fire tornado that's so hot the drum will glow red, and there won't be any smoke at all. The black stuff will burn off too.

During a regen, that's sort of what's happening. It bumps the RPMs up in neutral with no load, not much fuel burn in the engine to increase the airflow through the filter and fan the fire that's burning in there because of the doser valve injecting fuel.

The extreme heat burns off the soot.

And it's why trucks catch on fire during regens.

Take a 55 gallon drum & cut a little door near the bottom but leave one side uncut & bend it like a hinge. Get a fire going inside it. Black stuff will build up on the inside of the drum.

Then take a squirrel cage blower fan and lie it on its side so it blows into that little door at the bottom.

It creates a fire tornado that's so hot the drum will glow red, and there won't be any smoke at all. The black stuff will burn off too.

During a regen, that's sort of what's happening. It bumps the RPMs up in neutral with no load, not much fuel burn in the engine to increase the airflow through the filter and fan the fire that's burning in there because of the doser valve injecting fuel.

The extreme heat burns off the soot.

And it's why trucks catch on fire during regens.

Rocket stove.
Buddy of mine heats his [bigger than my 12x24] greenhouse in winter with an armload of sticks daily and a re-purposed 20 gallon propane bottle.

Pretty much what you described except that the airflow is all draw from the 6" square feed tube.

Rocket stove.
Buddy of mine heats his [bigger than my 12x24] greenhouse in winter with an armload of sticks daily and a re-purposed 20 gallon propane bottle.

Pretty much what you described except that the airflow is all draw from the 6" square feed tube.
I carry a small camp stove works on the same principal.

Tracy and her husband heat the barn at the compound with a big one they made. Pretty cool with natural adobe type insulation.

Wood gasification can be used to run a gas vehicle as well.

Same with idling for air conditioning. It'll eat up more DEF & also plug up the DPF faster.

That's why APUs should be standard equipment on emissions trucks.
Well my company didn't provide one so anything over 70 or Below 40... I idle mine NON-STOP...

Well my company didn't provide one so anything over 70 or Below 40... I idle mine NON-STOP...
That's why I say an APU should be standard equipment on emissions trucks.

In an older truck, the by the time an APU is WORN OUT, it'll pay for itself in fuel savings.

In an emissions turd, an APU will pay for itself in reduced down time and repair costs long before it's worn out.

Unless the APU has its own retarded little emissions system. :mad:

This is my area of expertise....being a Chemguru. DEF is like synthetic cow urine.
Ureic acid in mammalian urine converts to amines or ammonia. The nitrosomas bacteria convert the ammonia to nitrite (NO2) Then, nitrobacter convert the NO2 to nitrate (NO3).

With DEF, the urea when heated in the after burner, is reduced to O2 and NO (oxygen and nitrous oxide)

Nitrous oxide is what they use in funny cars. It burns at slightly more than 3000 degrees. (White hot). This temperature takes the not totally burnt carbon deposits to CO2 and/or elemental carbon... Basically ash.

Very cool stuff! When you are re-gening going down the road and all that white smoke happens out the stack, that is mostly ash and extra CO2.

It burns at slightly more than 3000 degrees. (White hot). This temperature takes the not totally burnt carbon deposits to CO2 and/or elemental carbon... Basically ash.

Very cool stuff!

Well, I can see why you changed careers.
:stare1:

;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread