Do You Prefer Solo Or Team Driving?

Mike

As always, vote in the poll, and expand on your choice in the thread.

A solo driver has the truck to themselves, and privacy is at a maximum. All the space in the truck is yours, and everything about the truck is done the way you want it. When you are sleeping, the truck is stopped (or you hope it is :)).

In trucking today, it is getting tougher for a solo driver to truly be successful. More and more companies are putting an emphasis on team driving operations, and higher dispatch priority is often offered to team drivers over solo drivers.

In a nutshell, the opportunity for more money is there for team drivers as opposed to solo drivers (in most cases), but this comes at the expense of less privacy. Who knows, some of you may not want that privacy and actually prefer to have someone else in the truck with you.

With all things considered, which is your preference, and why?

Dunno. Is she cute and is she easy? :biglaugh:

Honestly? I prefer solo for many of the reasons you list. Especially since space is at a premium, and it's hard enough to find space for MY stuff, let alone share it with someone else. However, I'd be willing to share with the right person. :D

I have done both, and with a good team driver, I found that to actually be a good experience. That said, I have also been in team situations (long ago with trainers) that were near disaster and almost ended up in big fights, LOL.

Overall, 4 team situations, two were good, two were bad. It all came down to the person I was teaming with.

I am very likely going to be going back out on the road very soon, and once again it will be a team situation, because that seems to be where the money is. We have narrowed it down to about 3 potential companies.

definitly solo. I like having my privacy and being able to be alone if i wanted to be. i like to do what i wanna do when i wanna do it. i always just liked to do my job and then enjoy my free time afterwards. and there just isn't enough space, IMO, for two people in these things.

I have to say Team. But then again, it is all I know.
My husband and I have been a team for almost seven years (married almost 26).

We enjoy each other's company. I enjoy the solitude when I drive at night and he is sleeping. I like my alone time. But it is nice sharing the job with him.

I like it either way.

With that said I like being solo since I don't have to listen to my only partner b**** and complain about something on the radio or something I do to annoy him...

On the other side I love to team cause being solo I miss the b****** and companing my partner does.. Theres so many experiences out there and I like to share them with someone. But then again its nice to turn up the radio and sing as loud as i want to without having the worry of waking someone up!! Im just so confused.. What was the question again?? lol.

I have done both also..and it will defiantly be solo from now on..I don't trust anyone else's driving..so I can't sleep while the vehicle is in motion..

I've done both. Solo is better as a lifestyle, but the money is in teams. I like doing what I want, when I want, within reason and just so I get the job done.

But it is going the way of the dodo bird, I'm afraid. Except for regional hauls.

The push go put teams in trucks has been going on for quite some time now, and the great economic situation we are currently in has kicked that push into overdrive.

The big trucking companies that are surviving the best through this slowdown are the ones who were pushing teams before the recession.

For a company that is running 48 states, it just makes sense. You can move freight faster, and move it much more inexpensively. In turn, drivers can also make a little more money (in most cases).

There will always be jobs out there for solo drivers though, but the shift in the industry has been slowly taking away the long haul aspect of trucking from the solo driver for quite a while now, and that will only continue.

The push go put teams in trucks has been going on for quite some time now, and the great economic situation we are currently in has kicked that push into overdrive.

The big trucking companies that are surviving the best through this slowdown are the ones who were pushing teams before the recession.

For a company that is running 48 states, it just makes sense. You can move freight faster, and move it much more inexpensively. In turn, drivers can also make a little more money (in most cases).

There will always be jobs out there for solo drivers though, but the shift in the industry has been slowly taking away the long haul aspect of trucking from the solo driver for quite a while now, and that will only continue.
Ya i'm going to have to find some sucker to team with if I don't find a job pretty soon.LOL

Yeah solo all the way. I actually like to be alone and lying in the bunk with that big engine rocking you to sleep is relaxing to me. No way could I drive team.

For the newbies fortunate enough to be hired...

The trick in team driving is living in close quarters with someone. You must get along with them under all circumstances. It's probably worse than being married because of the lack of space. Each persons space must be respected.

If the other driver needs a hand, you get up and help, and no bitching about it. Just dont take advantage of it. You need to be friends with them.

Another one is trust. His life is in your hands, and vice versa. Waking up dead would suck greatly.

I was lucky, or I was just a really great person and a peach of a guy, because I only had 3 long term partners in 7 years, and one of them was for about 5 years.

Solo... Ran team for a while during the early years, and, truly hated it. I had a few partners, all were nice enough, but, I hated it.

I eat, sleep, and break when and where I want. I'm just selfish like that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread