Disqualifying dot meds

I am on some meds and I am thinking about going back on the road in a few months. My questions is this, will these meds disqualify me from getting a dot medical card?
1. Tramadol
2. Meloxicam
3. Gabapentin
4. Doxazosin
5. Pramipexole
I am currently employed by state government and not required to have a dot medical card. I have driven with all of these meds for over 7 years or so with absolutely no side effects. I've heard pramipexole will disqualify me because it's for restless leg syndrome. I just need an answer from anyone that knows and can give it to me straight. If anything I can try and find out what alternative meds I can take to be able to pass a dot physical. Thanks for and help from my fellow drivers.

I have contacted several fmcsa dot certified examiners and none have given me an answer. I'm just trying to find someone that can tell me for sure before I leave my current job and take a bus somewhere just for them to tell me no, now find your way back home. Just don't want to be embarrassed like that if I can find out before I leave. Thanks for your honesty though, it's greatly appreciated

I have contacted several fmcsa dot certified examiners and none have given me an answer. I'm just trying to find someone that can tell me for sure before I leave my current job and take a bus somewhere just for them to tell me no, now find your way back home. Just don't want to be embarrassed like that if I can find out before I leave. Thanks for your honesty though, it's greatly appreciated

What medications disqualify a CMV driver?

I know Gabapentin if used for siezures is not allowed. My wife uses it for hot flashes and had to get a letter from her Dr. Stating so. With the letter she was good to go.

Tramadol is questionable. I took that stuff exactly once. It knocked me for a loop for three days. Never again.

Meloxicam is good to go, although it might raise an eyebrow just because it's a maintenance anti-inflamatory. It'd give a sharp sawbones reason to check you over a little closer for arthritis or other motion limiting inflamations. Been on that before myself. It's great in the wintertime for my psoriatic arthritis. It has never prevented me from getting a two-year medical.

The Neurontin might get you a second look...and a third.

I'm not super familiar with the others, but looking at the combination, it appears you have some kind of chronic neural inflamation that causes you a lot of trouble. Any doctor worth his or her salt will recognize this and dig a little deeper to determine what the issue is and whether the condition will be disqualifying or not. RLS does not normally require a Skittles bag worth of medications. If it does, it may be too debilitating to pass a DOT medical. Last thing you need while driving down the road in a fully loaded 18-wheeler is for your leg to choose that as the perfect time to become restless. My experience with my arthritis has been that the worst possible time is usually when it's going to flare up. You can't just stand up out of the driver seat to stretch when you're going 60 mph.

This is not commentary on your personal abilities. It is commentary on the condition in specific and its limitations in general. You are welcome to value this for exactly what you paid for it and I won't be offended.

Regardless of everything allowed or not-allowed, you would do well to get your prescribing physician to give you an MRO (Medical Release Opinion) along with this there should be paperwork stating the rigors and expectations of your job description.

You can sign off on release of your medical records as HIPPA will stop anyone from obtaining them unless you say so.

As far as those medications are concerned, none of them are on the disqualifying list from the FMCSA.

Here's the rub though: There may be contraindications to taking/having all of those meds in your system at one time. The MRO would be your only salvation in a "no fault" accident. Even if involved in an "at fault" the MRO will get shredded by a good attorney.

All an MRO really does is put the responsibility on someone else to allow you to do your job in what they will state as a "Safe manner"... be careful of the wording though, as there might be stipulations to the "mixing" of medications, or the amount ingested at one time.

IMHO, Gapapentin and Tramadol together could get you in a little hot water. Tramadol is not a narcotic, nor is it an Opiate or Opioid, but ... it is VERY similar to an opioid. It just doesn't follow the exact same pathway for a narcotic painkiller but has the same effects... also, it is very addicting. Just as much or moreso than Vicodin or Oxycodone.

Again, it depends on the person. I've seen Tramadol get people wired up real good and the Gaba take them down a few notches, which is never good when mixing meds that have two differing effects on the body. That would be like taking speed and a barbituate at the same time.

Another rub: If you are involved in an accident, even if "no fault" you will still be drug-tested. Any hot ass attorney will do his damndest to make YOU the criminal, no question there.

You have to ask yourself: "Can I start eliminating some of these medications?"

Tramadol is a narcotic-like pain reliever.

Tramadol is used to treat moderate to severe pain.

The extended-release form of tramadol is for around-the-clock treatment of pain. This form of tramadol is not for use on an as-needed basis for pain.

You should not take tramadol if you have severe breathing problems, a blockage in your stomach or intestines, or if you have recently used alcohol, sedatives, tranquilizers, narcotic medication, or an MAO inhibitor (isocarboxazid, linezolid, methylene blue injection, phenelzine, rasagiline, selegiline, tranylcypromine, and others).

Tramadol most certainly can cause addiction.

Meloxicam is just basically an NSAID a bit stronger than Ibuprofen... well, quite a bit, but mixing it with Tramadol isn't an issue.

The Gabapentin High: Why Has Recreational Use Exploded?

Gabapentin is an anti-epileptic medication, also called an anticonvulsant. It affects chemicals and nerves in the body that are involved in the cause of seizures and some types of pain.

Also, in higher doses, Gabapentin can make people high, groggy, off balance.. and have trouble seeing (as in seeing double)

Doxazosin may cause dizziness or fainting, especially when you first start taking it or when you start taking it again. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert. Avoid standing for long periods of time or becoming overheated during exercise and in hot weather. Avoid getting up too fast from a sitting or lying position, or you may feel dizzy.

MIRAPEX tablets contain pramipexole, a nonergot dopamine agonist.Low levels of dopamine in the brain are associated with Parkinson's disease. Pramipexole is used to treat symptoms of Parkinson's disease, such as stiffness, tremors, muscle spasms, and poor muscle control. Pramipexole is also used to treat restless legs syndrome (RLS).

What medications disqualify a CMV driver?

There are so many contraindications when it comes to mixing medications that nobody can really come up with a solid 'yes or no' answer. I've seen OTC supplements cause huge interactions with prescription meds, and since many supplements are NOT regulated by the FDA, it can be pretty difficult to tell what the outcome might be.

A lot of the meds you are taking have some serious side effects in certain folks. One of the most common in all of them is slowed heart rate and just being plain tired.

You gotta ask yourself: " Would you want your family driving alongside a trucker who was taking all of these meds?" Add in some supplements, lack of sleep... and maybe a few cups of coffee....

I dunno. Err on the side of safety. Only YOU know how you feel when you are taking these meds. Do you feel safe to drive even if a doctor gave you an MRO?

I drive a dump truck in the winter for 24 to 36 hours straight to clear snow because that's what we do for state government.
As far as gabapentin, I take it for nerve pain in my lower back. Not for seizures or anything else.
Tramadol is for arthritis pain.
Mirapex is for rls, nothing more.
I have taken each one of the meds I said up top for a few years now with no side effects from any. I do get the lawyer and safety issue that may come up if something was to happen on the road, god forbid that it ever did, but I get that. As far as an MRO, I will see if my PCP will sign one, or help me fix my back issue, that's why I take these in the first place. I know it's a case by case basis as to whether or not a company dot Dr will except these or not. I just don't want to waste anyone's time and money to go to them to be told NO, now find your way home. I just want to be able to get back on the road provide for my wife and I and be safe about it as well. Thanks so much on your response, I guess I have something's to check up on and do before I come back out. Thanks again, stay safe

I would suggest you go into a doctor's office that does a dot physical and talk with the physician.

There's too much at stake here from truck stop counter talk

The company DOT physician will only speak with you and your prescribing physician in regards to your MRO. For example, if you supply the MRO and your **** test shows you positive for Opiates (which most doctors won't prescribe for a driver, they will choose the synthetic version "Opioids" which DO NOT come up in drug tests) ... but let's just say that you came up positive with an MRO for opiates.

The Medical Examiner will contact you, ask for the MRO and make the decision based on that. The company itself has no legal right to your information. Doesn't mean they won't smell a rat or that they might get some kickback-"inside' information.

If your prescribing physician say's you are O.K to drive, the ME will let you drive.... UNLESS, the company has a policy about that particular medication. He will then have to share a failure, not the details.

BTW, there are medications that are banned, if you want that question answered.

DOT Drug Testing FAQ - List of Prohibited Drugs

anyone involved in the MATs program will have an extremely difficult time getting qualified. MAT's is Medical Assistment Treatment... the reasoning is that this kind of treatment is most often used for folks who have become addicted to Opiates and now have to take another drug to get off of opiates. The "catch 22" is that opiates are used to get off opiates. They are just longer lasting... stay in your system longer, and have to be filled at clinics to receive your daily dosage lest you get "addicted" to them... or take too much, which is life-threatening.

I know, this is getting way out there, but I was once told years ago that if you need these types of meds to get through the day, you probably shouldn't drive a truck. Our Hours are too random and there is too much at stake. If we had 9 to 5 jobs... maybe, but jobs where we don't put the public at risk.

Much like Type 1 Diabetes, the ME will give you a restricted Med Cert. ... meaning, you don't get the whole two year certification.

Thanks for the insight. I guess I will go to my PCP or make an appointment to a dot Dr. and see what I need to do to be able to drive again, most importantly being safe about it. That is why I asked everyone for information about it. Tks stay safe

Thanks for the insight. I guess I will go to my PCP or make an appointment to a dot Dr. and see what I need to do to be able to drive again, most importantly being safe about it. That is why I asked everyone for information about it. Tks stay safe
PCP is definitely banned. :eek:

:D

You mean, I have to get rid of my Angel Dust? WTH?

Oh well, they don't test for Ecstasy.....

Why would I need it anyway? The job is so pleasant just as it is.

You mean, I have to get rid of my Angel Dust? WTH?

Oh well, they don't test for Ecstasy.....

Why would I need it anyway? The job is so pleasant just as it is.
Ecstasy and a large gear shift protruding out of the floor. I think I saw that show in Juarez o_O

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread