disable EGR

trk771

if you remove the EGR on an older rig and replace it with an SCR cat converter and DPF you would be ok for
Cal.,no????

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Its illegal to tamper with the emissions systems on any vehicle, and if you get caught out in California the fines are quite stiff.

Merely removing the EGR may not result in any performance improvement since the ECM expects it to be there. Bolting on a DPF will probably result in a performance decrease, and if you're blowing a lot of soot into it, it will clog in record time.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
you can go forward, but you can't go backwards in emissions. That's how I've always understood it.

krelithous

Supporter
don't get caught without a CARB cert attached to your registration or you will be put out of service and you'll be able to treat the revenue rangers out to lunch with all of them hefty fines that you'll be paying as well as the truck will be impounded:eek:

trk771

mn is correct. If you remove the egr and somehow recode and then install the 2 stage SCR module with the DEF nozzle in the middle and a DPF you are way cleaner than the EGR. I think this would be ok with carb. They would probably charge you 200 bucks to have them do a test on the exhaust.
What sucks is the old organized ripoff prices for the Owner op. That SCR module should cost about 2000$. Its a little bigger than a CAT conv. for a pick up.
But the slime that sells to truckers would want 10,000. Its NOT worth that but they know that most truckers are no smart enough to understand they are being ripped off and
wont say anything. From what I have seen 80% of truckers are simpletons.I hate to say it but its true. They havent a clue how to organize and not be taken advantage of.
The 20,000 bucks Owner ops are paying for aftermarket DPFs is a good example. That aftermarket system is not worth a dime more than 5000. But guys line up and pay whatever they are told to. They dont understand they are being had.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
mn is correct. If you remove the egr and somehow recode and then install the 2 stage SCR module with the DEF nozzle in the middle and a DPF you are way cleaner than the EGR. I think this would be ok with carb. They would probably charge you 200 bucks to have them do a test on the exhaust.
What sucks is the old organized ripoff prices for the Owner op. That SCR module should cost about 2000$. Its a little bigger than a CAT conv. for a pick up.
But the slime that sells to truckers would want 10,000. Its NOT worth that but they know that most truckers are no smart enough to understand they are being ripped off and
wont say anything. From what I have seen 80% of truckers are simpletons.I hate to say it but its true. They havent a clue how to organize and not be taken advantage of.
The 20,000 bucks Owner ops are paying for aftermarket DPFs is a good example. That aftermarket system is not worth a dime more than 5000. But guys line up and pay whatever they are told to. They dont understand they are being had.
No it won't be "OK" with CARB... they will look for the EGR valve, and fine you for modifying the emissions. Further, you will lock yourself out of both the truck and engine manufacturer's shops... the EPA is now requiring them to impound trucks with emission systems that have been modified from manufacturer's spec (unless you've added a DPF) - and not release those trucks until the emission system has been brought back to original spec.

The outfits that I know of that are adding DPFs to older trucks are screening them for excessive blow-by. There's no point in putting one on if all its going to do is immediately clog.