Dieting

When I began trucking, I realized exercise was no longer a viable option - there's no time and I can't always shower.

So I went stark-raving vegetarian and the weight just dropped off. I have more energy, my body feels cleaner, and I'm in good health. Just remember to eat some beans to keep up your protein, and one meal a week eat literally whatever you want so you don't go nuts.

i don't "diet", instead, i eat real foods instead of say high calorie, high salt, high fat foods.

if we eat in moderation and don't over do that too, we can easily control our weight, along with our blood pressure and blood sugars. the real problem i very often see is the "average" truck driver parking so close to the truckstop that he (or she) doesn't have to walk too far to get inside. then too, very often, truck drivers eat a big meal, then go straight to bed. how many calories do you think you burn off by sleeping...??

diets, schmiets..............eat sensibly and take walks, and don't over do it at the buffet tables.:banana1:

And don't forget, fast foot chains, which are now taking over the restaurants in truck stops, do sell salads. You don't have to get a baconator at Wendy's, or a Big Mac from McDonalds. There are generally some healthy options at most fast food places these days.

just stop by wally world or the like and stock up. this way you can eat healthier and not spend all that money in truck stops. i munch on granola bars and peanuts and the occassional beef jerky.

Meals don't have to be unhealthy at truck stops either....at each meal, have about 5 oz of protein (lean steak, chicken, fish - ask for grilled), 1-1/2 cups of healthy "green" vegetables, use the starchy ones in moderation and make sure to drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated :) Have some fruit for a snack and a slice of whole wheat toast - It's really all about choices and making healthy ones :)

Meals don't have to be unhealthy at truck stops either....at each meal, have about 5 oz of protein (lean steak, chicken, fish - ask for grilled), 1-1/2 cups of healthy "green" vegetables, use the starchy ones in moderation and make sure to drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated :) Have some fruit for a snack and a slice of whole wheat toast - It's really all about choices and making healthy ones :)

this is what i try to do each time i go to a McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King. i get the grilled chicken sandwiches, or the fish sandwiches, or just the salads.

yep, healty choices indeed, but we all know way too many times drivers "carb up" or "pig out" for the sake of eating anything when they are hungry.

yep, healty choices indeed, but we all know way too many times drivers "carb up" or "pig out" for the sake of eating anything when they are hungry.

I agree or some drivers think that they will NEVER have another meal so they want to "stock up" to feel full so that they won't feel hungry later.....WHEN in reality, the next meal is coming in a few hours :dunno:

I understand hectic schedules and one can't always eat "regularly", but MOST everyone eats more than once a day :)

When I began trucking, I realized exercise was no longer a viable option - there's no time and I can't always shower.

So I went stark-raving vegetarian and the weight just dropped off. I have more energy, my body feels cleaner, and I'm in good health. Just remember to eat some beans to keep up your protein, and one meal a week eat literally whatever you want so you don't go nuts.
I am glad it worked for you and more power to you for losing weight by eating healthy.

But honestly if i don't eat meat at least once a day i will go stark raving mad. you hear about suicide by truck it would be murder by truck if i don't get my meat, lol.

Drivers..did you know that if you drink while you eat you can eat more. Basically the fluid pushes the food out of your stomach. Try it one time. Get no fluids with your meal. You will find that you wont be able to eat as much. Oh, try not to drink for about 30 min after. Same thing happens and you end up hungry quicker.
whitedove40

i don't "diet", instead, i eat real foods instead of say high calorie, high salt, high fat foods.

if we eat in moderation and don't over do that too, we can easily control our weight, along with our blood pressure and blood sugars. the real problem i very often see is the "average" truck driver parking so close to the truckstop that he (or she) doesn't have to walk too far to get inside. then too, very often, truck drivers eat a big meal, then go straight to bed. how many calories do you think you burn off by sleeping...??

diets, schmiets..............eat sensibly and take walks, and don't over do it at the buffet tables.:banana1:

Yes, and those Flying J's have a good buffet. I'm vegetarian too, but I do like cookies and ice cream and I could lose 30lbs.

I agree or some drivers think that they will NEVER have another meal so they want to "stock up" to feel full so that they won't feel hungry later.....WHEN in reality, the next meal is coming in a few hours :dunno:

I understand hectic schedules and one can't always eat "regularly", but MOST everyone eats more than once a day :)

According to the "Eat Right for your Type" book, the 0 blood types need to eat a lot of proteins and fats, and usually it is feast or famine for them. The "A" blood groups like macro dieting and can eat more carbohydrates, especially the beans. According to the book, all blood types should stay away from wheat and corn. "O" blood types do real well on raw pumpkin seeds if they don't want to eat meat. I purchase them in the bulk bin at a health food store and bring them with me.

Drivers..did you know that if you drink while you eat you can eat more. Basically the fluid pushes the food out of your stomach. Try it one time. Get no fluids with your meal. You will find that you wont be able to eat as much. Oh, try not to drink for about 30 min after. Same thing happens and you end up hungry quicker.
whitedove40

Thanks. I find if I don't drink enough water I get stronger food cravings.

Most "O" blood types do fine on beef or cold water fish and dark leafy greens, and the beef should have some fat on it too because they are not eating the carbs as much. Stay away from the wheat and corn -- try rice instead.

Smoke or Eat? Please repeat the question...

I stopped smoking about six years ago. Although I no longer crave nicotine, I still have the impulse (or habit) of using my hand to place something in my mouth. I have found food to be a pleasing alternative.

Driving can become boring, and, boredom leads to stuffing my face (as opposed to chain smoking). I eat pounds of grapes, and apples. I eat boxes of Cheez Its, and gnaw on jerky until my jaw is aching. A container of Planter's mixed nuts is only around for a 100 miles, or so. Munch, munch, munch. :popcorn:

At 6' 2" I weigh about 240lbs. I guess that a little overweight, but, my doctor says it won't kill me nearly as quickly as the smoking would've and not to worry about it.

2xR, longing for the lean, mean days of 185lbs.... :bounce:

Diet

Well I started to diet after the Dr said i needed to cut down.

I now have half of everything twice

:popcorn: :popcorn::popcorn:

I tried to follow what Dr. Oz said on Oprah. I cannot stomach noni berries. I have a bad digestive reaction to soy products. Tumeric doesn't sit well with me. So I just went back to eating the way I normally do. Oatmeal for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and a frozen lean dinner for supper. I have lost 13 lbs. I do a lot of walking, ride my bicycle, and started the Rockin Body exercise program.

An Alternative...

I've always enjoyed the "see-food diet". If I see food, I eat it. :popcorn:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread