Diesel Particulate Filters (DPFs) (and a new model that is way better)

DieselResearch

Hey everyone,

my name is Sean and I'm a masters student researching a new type of Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) and I was just trying to get some feedback from you guys on how this part of your truck affects you.

How do DPFs affect you right now? Are they a hassle, or do you hardly think about them? Do you have to have them regenerated often?

If I told you I was working on a new DPF that didn't have to be regenerated, required no maintenance, and could increase fuel efficiency by 50%, would you be interested?

Any general thoughts on DPFs or what my product could do for you would be awesome, thanks!

-Sean

Mike

Staff member
They are an absolute waste in productivity and have very little, of any, benefit to the environment.

They are damaging to trucks, negating any perceived environmental benefit.

Only way you can improve them is to eliminate them.

DieselResearch

They are an absolute waste in productivity and have very little, of any, benefit to the environment.

They are damaging to trucks, negating any perceived environmental benefit.

Only way you can improve them is to eliminate them.
Thanks for the response Mike. How do they damage trucks?

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
As effective at reducing actual emissions from the engine as those wonderful tailpipe vents are.

Mike

Staff member
As effective at reducing actual emissions from the engine as those wonderful tailpipe vents are.
yeah, check out all the youtube videos of people cleaning out those filters. All the crap coming out of the filter goes right down into our water system.....

DieselResearch

Thanks for the responses everyone! I need to clarify that this DPF doesn't increase MPG by 50%, it reduces the MPG loss from a DPF by 50%. So if your current DPF reduces MPG by 3mpg ours reduces by only 1.5mpg

krelithous

Supporter
I could Care less if the trees fell down as I went by I only Care how green my wallet is:D. Dpfs are more problems than there worth. If they get plugged up it will leave you stranded then sooner or later you'll have to get it baked and that cuts into ones profit along with the DEF fluid emissions trucks break down more and cost more to fix than a pre emissions truck more things to cut into your profit a pre emissions truck will give better fuel economy and be more reliable than one of these new pos
I have a friend that has an older Pete and it's registered as an r.v. and he runs it on veggie oil can't do that with an emissions truck

Last edited:

krelithous

Supporter
Let me know if you still support this crap if your truck burns down or you get stuck in a loading dock doing a regen:stare1:. Dpfs also make it harder for the engine to breath

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
It is unfortunate, But the big black smoke clouds trucks used to make where not nearly as harmful as people liked to think, But it just looks bad.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I hate being behind a truck doing a regen going down the highway. Nasty smell!
Yeah, To me it smells like charcoal bricks and lighter fluid.
I was running an Ottawa shunt truck a few years back so obviously it does not get up to speed and for long enough to regen.
So this thing was regening on its own. My eyes where burning. I just walked away and refused to do any trailer moves until it was done.

Electric Chicken

Supporter
Yeah, To me it smells like charcoal bricks and lighter fluid.
I was running an Ottawa shunt truck a few years back so obviously it does not get up to speed and for long enough to regen.
So this thing was regening on its own. My eyes where burning. I just walked away and refused to do any trailer moves until it was done.
Same. I always got hungry because it smelled like a BBQ that I wasn't invited to.

Where's my hot dog, dammit?

Copperhead

Thanks for the responses everyone! I need to clarify that this DPF doesn't increase MPG by 50%, it reduces the MPG loss from a DPF by 50%. So if your current DPF reduces MPG by 3mpg ours reduces by only 1.5mpg
Well, not really sure they reduce mpg. They did on the earlier versions, but I know several folks who are getting well into 8 mpg territory with newer emissions trucks. That's about 2 mpg better than the pre-emission truck averages we were used to years ago. Now if you could replace a DPF on one of these newer 8+ mpg average trucks working today, and get them 1.5 mpg better fuel economy, then I would be reading about this in a trucking headline article and not a forum and you would have a special invitation to every trucking fleet in the country.

Uncle Birchy

Life Coach
Really...gosh when I started trucking in 2004 truck stops were HAZY and stunk..

Still some bad trucks out there but not nearly as bad as it used to be as far as Fumes...

I am actually liking the change ..

I dont worry as much anymore about getting carbon monoxide poinsing from an oil burner that pulled in next to me.

And as Time wears on theres less and less of those old smoky trucks on the road as they fall apart beyond repair

Now if the EPA wanted to make me really HAPPY they would BAN or put a crapload of regulations on Auxillary Power Units

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
I dont worry as much anymore about getting carbon monoxide poinsing from an oil burner that pulled in next to me.
Nawp. Instead, you get the fumes of thousands of lazy asshats urinating in the parking lot.

Glad I don't have to go to truck stops very often. There's one or two I go to regularly. Little mom n pops where not a lot of trucks go because it's not a big-name chain.