Diesel fuel gelling - At what temperature do you idle your truck?

around me in MN, there were about 1 in 7 or 8 that were having fuel issues. Mainly from the fuel developing ice crystals.

For the record -8 is not cold ... it's only slightly frigid. -30 or -40 plus wind chill is cold. Coldest I've personally run in was -59 plus wind at Cap Chat PQ where the wind blows past Labrador straight off the Artic ice.

In my own trucks I ran Wynn's fuel treatment (don't remember the particular name) which separated the water from the fuel and left it in the bottom of the tanks. Reasoning being that "captured" water droplets flashed to steam under the diesel's high compression ratio and tore up the injector tips. Had a little electric fuel pump thingy that I made up to suck the inch or so of water and contaminants out of my tanks every couple of weeks. Never, ever had a problem.

Of course, this was when you had #1 diesel (stove oil) for "winter fuel" and #2 diesel (furnace oil) for warm weather. Long before you had this bio-crap they're pushing these days. BTW, I suspect the "black residues" are from the sugars that are inherent in bio and alcohol separating out. Either that or the bio alcohol may be "eating" your fuel lines from the inside out.

Ain't "new hi-tech" just wunnerful?????

I don't worry about it, generally. I will start the truck every few hours when temps get below -10F. Till then, I just treat fuel and don't worry about it. I stay in upper tier of the U.S. all year round. MI, WI, MN, etc. I have used bio blends from 2% to 15% for over 5 years and have had not issues. Occasionally a more frequent filter change in the winter. My Davco filter unit has a heater in it for cold fuel.

I concern myself more with keeping batteries up, oil flow in the engine on a cold start, etc. When temps get into below 0F territory, I will run a portable generator, which is mounted on the frame rail, that is plugged into an oil pan heater and a Xantrex inverter charger. The Xantex keeps the batteries at full charge and the pan heater keeps the oil nice and warm. The heat rises out of the pan and heats the lower part of the block. have never had a cold start problem doing this. The generator uses a shade over 1 gallon in 10 hrs. Pretty cost effective.

When at home, plug in Xantrex, block heater, and pan heater.

If one wants the ultimate cold weather setup.. a Webasto or Espar diesel fired (or a dedicated tank with kerosene for EXTREME cold) coolant heater combined with Arctic Fox fuel tank heaters. The coolant heater will have the coolant in an engine up to 120F in one hour. As it cycles the coolant, it can also cycle warm coolant thru the Arctic Fox fuel tank heaters.

Last edited:
I need to get @DubbleD's preferred shop to plumb up a tee in the fuel line to the espar heater so I can use a little one gallon can to run the heater on pure kerosene for a few hours as needed.

When the espar heaters make a smoke show at startup, it's time for a cleaning. And this one's been doing it for a while now.

I need to get @DubbleD's preferred shop to plumb up a tee in the fuel line to the espar heater so I can use a little one gallon can to run the heater on pure kerosene for a few hours as needed.

When the espar heaters make a smoke show at startup, it's time for a cleaning. And this one's been doing it for a while now.
If you ever get back to driving... Your heater is scheduled for R&R with a unit that's already been serviced.

You don't need a T. Just get a few feet of rubber fuel line hose. Take the line off the pump going into the tank, connect your hose and into the kerosene. White smoke usually means not enough air and too much fuel. I know it sounds backwards. Most times it's the exhaust or air intake lines have holes in them and need to be replaced. Smoking just makes it worse sucking in the smoke through the air intake.

Just two weeks ago I was in -21 degree temp that is negative almost 6 for yous that agreed to go metric and then reneged. I had the wind blowing head on and my engine temp was dropping. I had to bump up the idle even more to keep the heat running hot over night.

One time I was in -40 temps That is -40 for those that refuse to get with the rest of the world in measurement. In -40 molecules stop holding hands. Metal snaps. Fitting don't fit. It is very common to have air leaks. Yes the air compressor works overtime. When things warm up the air leaks disappear.

I'm off the chart plus i'm coming from the cold!- Kardinal Official.

Dumb question, why do you guys have an espar heater and an apu?

I only have an electric blanket and don't run the truck above 30 unless I'm only laying down for 4 or less hours.

Gelling can happen with truck running or not. I have no idea how much fuel return these new engines have, but mine isn't that much so I watch where I fuel and how cold it gets. My classic has a fuel heater thing on it, soon worries with that one, I hope!

One more thing, was you guys asleep all last winter? Here in Ohio we had record lows iirc. Heck we went a few weeks with highs in the single digits.

Dumb question, why do you guys have an espar heater and an apu?

I only have an electric blanket and don't run the truck above 30 unless I'm only laying down for 4 or less hours.

Gelling can happen with truck running or not. I have no idea how much fuel return these new engines have, but mine isn't that much so I watch where I fuel and how cold it gets. My classic has a fuel heater thing on it, soon worries with that one, I hope!

One more thing, was you guys asleep all last winter? Here in Ohio we had record lows iirc. Heck we went a few weeks with highs in the single digits.
The APU runs an electric A/C, but does not have an integrated heater. Unless the driver packs a space heater around, he either has to idle or run a Webasto or Espar.

Last edited:
My APU does have heat. The APU uses .2 gallons per hour to run. The Espar takes .02 gallons per hour. I would launch into the benefits to having both but I don't want to.

My APU does have heat. The APU uses .2 gallons per hour to run. The Espar takes .02 gallons per hour. I would launch into the benefits to having both but I don't want to.

Ok so your apu uses more fuel than the espar but the difference is the espar just heats the truck, and takes battery power. If you don't have the deep cell/cycle(?) batteries (the style used in boats), you are just shortening battery life. I'm sure have thought of this.

Now the apu heats, keeps batteries charged, keeps motor warm and runs any electrical devices in the truck. Now I have heard the apu heaters don't keep up too good in temps under 30*, which pretty much makes them pointless.

Honestly I think the apu craze is just a phase that will end up by the wayside as time goes on. People are realizing how troublesome they are after a short time.

Honestly I think the apu craze is just a phase that will end up by the wayside as time goes on. People are realizing how troublesome they are after a short time.

You may be right. Deep cycle batteries combined with a start module can keep you pretty trouble free as far as batteries go, and cold weather starts even if you run your deep cycles completely dead overnight. Not a perfected system, but battery technology is getting better all the time.

Until the battery setup can be perfected though, there has to be an alternative, and and APU is the best there is to keep batteries charged and heat the engine in extreme cold temps. idling new engines anymore than necessary is asking for trouble.

Not sure what APU your thinking of. Mine puts out 15,000 btu of heat and that's more then the Espar. I don't use it though. My Espar keeps the truck 75 no problem even at -8 in Denver a few weeks ago. I don't have to worry about my batteries either when using the Espar, the APU starts up automatically and charges the batteries when needed. Easy squeezey

Does it monitor coolant temp as well?

No. Mine is a Rigmaster and is not plumbed into my trucks cooling system. I do have an engine block heater that's plugged into the Rigmaster generator but stopped using it many years ago. I just don't need it. My batteries are at full or close to full charge all the time and my best so far was -25 and it started up great. I remember that time because I got my truck washed earlier in the morning. Did my driving then stopped for the day and went inside. The wind was wicked. Came back out and my locks were frozen solid. Trying to heat my key up with a bic lighter. Kept having to go inside to warm up. My ears took a hit that day.

I think I am still going to play it safe and idle below 10 degrees. I might push it to 0, but not sure. not likely that I will be in those extreme temps often though, I tend to try and avoid things like that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread