Delivery & Pickup Times

When you spend most of 47 years in a truck by yourself you tend to talk a lot when you have a chance so others can judge if you have gone insane or not, because you can no longer tell .
:rolllaugh3: But very true!

I've brought in entire truckloads of a single item, 30 minutes early at the window, & they still take 2-3 hours to unload it.

So, are you really expectin' them to break a sweat for a duck?? Maybe a chicken, but a DUCK???!

:whip:

Well, thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Admittedly, on some occasions it has been my fault I was late. For example, missing a turn or exit, or taking too long with fueling or log work / paperwork. But in response to the comment, "Sh*t happens; try not to let it happen," I have to say: Easier said than done.

A few weeks ago I was running on-time when I exited the interstate and discovered the street I was supposed to take to my delivery spot was closed due to road construction. With a river to cross, one-way streets, truck restrictions in certain neighborhoods, etc., it took quite a while to circle around and make it to the business. I was late.

And when those jokers in Alsip, IL, made me show up at 3 a.m. (I was more than an hour early), then unloaded me at 10:30 a.m., it screwed up my schedule for the remainder of that day. And worst of all was the Cincinnati detention, when I arrived at 11:30 a.m. Saturday for a 1 p.m. live load, and didn't get out of there until 8:45 p.m. I got home at about 5 p.m. Sunday, and had already asked for Monday off for a doctor's appt. So that was my "reset," then back to work early Tuesday.

Again, it irks me that companies are adamant about us being on time, but it's okay for them to take their sweet time loading or unloading us. Oh well... I am just grateful to have a job and steady income in this ****-poor economy. Truck driving has its moments, but it does have some advantages, too, including variety and the opportunity to see a lot of nice scenery. Driving a big rig ain't a bad gig!

Well, thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Admittedly, on some occasions it has been my fault I was late. For example, missing a turn or exit, or taking too long with fueling or log work / paperwork. But in response to the comment, "Sh*t happens; try not to let it happen," I have to say: Easier said than done.

A few weeks ago I was running on-time when I exited the interstate and discovered the street I was supposed to take to my delivery spot was closed due to road construction. With a river to cross, one-way streets, truck restrictions in certain neighborhoods, etc., it took quite a while to circle around and make it to the business. I was late.

And when those jokers in Alsip, IL, made me show up at 3 a.m. (I was more than an hour early), then unloaded me at 10:30 a.m., it screwed up my schedule for the remainder of that day. And worst of all was the Cincinnati detention, when I arrived at 11:30 a.m. Saturday for a 1 p.m. live load, and didn't get out of there until 8:45 p.m. I got home at about 5 p.m. Sunday, and had already asked for Monday off for a doctor's appt. So that was my "reset," then back to work early Tuesday.

Again, it irks me that companies are adamant about us being on time, but it's okay for them to take their sweet time loading or unloading us. Oh well... I am just grateful to have a job and steady income in this ****-poor economy. Truck driving has its moments, but it does have some advantages, too, including variety and the opportunity to see a lot of nice scenery. Driving a big rig ain't a bad gig!
There really is no reason for being late unless your company don't give you enough window time to begin with.Missing a turn,construction,fueling ect needs to be factored in with every load.If you take too many brks while enroute to cust then yes you'll probably be late and then you'll blame the traffic and everything else you can think of for being late.You need to start heading to your destination way ahead of time so you can account for any obsticles along the way.

There really is no reason for being late unless your company don't give you enough window time to begin with.Missing a turn,construction,fueling ect needs to be factored in with every load.If you take too many brks while enroute to cust then yes you'll probably be late and then you'll blame the traffic and everything else you can think of for being late.You need to start heading to your destination way ahead of time so you can account for any obsticles along the way.

You're a professional driver. That means you keep the left door shut, and you get down the road. Effin' off at the truck stop comes after the load is delivered.

You're a professional driver. That means you keep the left door shut, and you get down the road. Effin' off at the truck stop comes after the load is delivered.
My thoughts exactly...the only reason I'm ever late is because of companies lack of knowledge that it does in fact take longer than 11hrs to run a 1000 miles.
It's called self discipline and your entire job is to go from point a to point b when they want you to.
Once your record is tarnished with too many of these service failures you'll be looking for a new career.

Out of all the yrs ive been driving I have never been late due to it being my fault.All these lame excuses drivers come up with for not making ontime delivery is crap and their dispatchers thinks the same thing.Drivers especially the ones that hasn't been in this field long don't realize just how important on time delivery is.

Out of all the yrs ive been driving I have never been late due to it being my fault.All these lame excuses drivers come up with for not making ontime delivery is crap and their dispatchers thinks the same thing.Drivers especially the ones that hasn't been in this field long don't realize just how important on time delivery is.
Exactly. Sometimes you gotta lose sleep, sometimes you gotta force yourself to sleep, and sometimes you gotta skip that extra break. It's called truck driving and has always been...At least now they can't force you to run two days without sleep lol

Exactly. Sometimes you gotta lose sleep, sometimes you gotta force yourself to sleep, and sometimes you gotta skip that extra break. It's called truck driving and has always been...At least now they can't force you to run two days without sleep lol
True,ive lost sleep before but it wasn't because of anything on the dispatchers end,I just couldn't sleep.But I have always still made my appt ontime.If drivers can't meet the demands of this profession then they should go back to their hourly job.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread