Debate over eating placentas postbirth

RACEFAN

Space Truckin
Premium
Most mammals eat their own placenta after giving birth and according to "Mad Men's" January Jones, more women should try ingesting their offspring's afterbirth as well.
Speaking at a press junket before the show's season premiere, the actress told People magazine that she pops a dehydrated placenta capsule when she's feeling tired or blue. "Its not witch-crafty or anything, I suggest it to all moms!" Jones enthused. Since the 34 year-old single mom was able to return to the set about seven weeks after her son Xander was born, her controversial elixir may be working.
There is little scientific evidence to show any benefits to eating placenta, but advocates say that it helps increase milk flow and ease post-partum depression. Speaking with the BBC, obstetrician Maggie Blott explained, "Animals eat their placenta to get nutrition--but when people are already well-nourished, there is no benefit, there is no reason to do it."

More Here

YEEUUUCCCKKKK!!!!!!:yuck::coocoo::puke:

You know, I've seen dogs eat their own poop and billy goats pee in their mouths and haven't yet had the urge to try it or ask why.

Yeah...............I'm all for taking advice from someone named January, who by chance is an actress and that named her kid Xander.

81475724.jpg

Yeah...............I'm all for taking advice from someone named January, who by chance is an actress and that named her kid Xander.

Funny. I happen to know an actress named January. She and her twin sister Marissa went to Hollywood about 10 years ago to become famous movie stars but I think the only thing I've ever heard of them getting were small roles in commercials or playing a corpse in one of those cop shows.

I don't think they're ugly, but they're certainly not Hollywood material.

January Jones is on T.V. series Mad Men. It's about the 1960's advertising world. I like it because it shows things that were O.K. in the '60's but are taboo now. Like, smoking in a car while the kids jump around like little monkeys, or slapping you 10 year old daughter's face because she sassed you.

Maybe the lady should learn about proper nutrition.
The reason animals eat after-birth is to reduce the likelyhood a predator will smell the fresh birth and to recover some nutrients.
We don't have to worry about either in today's world, she's just a strange woman.

Let me shed a little light on this. A very good friend of mine is a Doula (sorta like a midwife/baby counselor) and has been known to send me pictures of the lovely afterbirth. Thanks, Pam. Anyways, it is becoming a very common practice, and it is for reasons from the nutritional value (bleugh) to the spiritual "connection" between you and your baby. You would think having it INSIDE you for 9 months would be connected enough.

Growing up on a farm, you get to see the "miracle" of birth up close and personal on a regular basis. Just thinking of that $#!* being ingested makes me want to puke, but at least its a "dehydrated capsule" so just think of taking a pill and its all better

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread