Cummins Experts

Wildhog

1995 N14 Celect Black Motor

Tag says:

370 HP @ 1600 RPM
1400 Torque @ 1200 RPM

I pulled a load this morning and my total weight was 75000lbs and the truck was a dog. Read: Dragon Fly
The truck has a 4.33 Gear(I have 3.70's to put in it) and it's in really good shape with no blowby or oil leaks (knock wood).
The Pyro never went above 650 degree's and for the most part I drove 55 and 60mph. I'm a 65mph max kind of guy anyway and most of the driving I do will be on two lane or 4 lane non interstate type roads. I cannot stand the low gears as the truck seems to be wound up tight to me. It averaged 5.8 miles to the gallon on the 300 mile trip. Half loaded and half unloaded.

What HP can I turn this truck up to. Who can do it? I own the truck.

Looking at a Cummins torque Chart the motor matches a n14 12 cec and n14 12 ced. I do not know what that means.

I'm not an expert, but with those power numbers you can't expect it to pull very well.

Ask around at the local Cummins shop if they know someone in your area that can set you up with a bigger turbo and injectors, and can tune the ecm for you. That should go a long ways towards giving you the power you need to roll along.

I worked at a cummins shop about 12 years ago and I learned quite a bit about the engines. Unfortunately though, it was that I learned I had no interest in being a mechanic. I was just the janitor!!! I'm definitely not fond of their injectors because the mechanics thought it was a great time to take the plastic covers off the new injectors and somehow attach them to an air hose, light them on fire and shoot them at me.:2guns:

Get me the engine s/n# and I will run it past my guy, or you can try calling Bruce at Pittsburgh Power: (724) 360-4080

This is the only number I have right now. 1fuybcyb1sl621584
In the bill of Materials (I don't have all the manuals yet) it says Engine S01-22881-049 Cummins N14 049 370@2100FLB . Module 101 Bill-of-Material 101-c47999. Cummins-N14,1994 ELEC ENG,FLB,1200
I got the 370 @ 1600 off the engine tag itself.
The transmission number is FUL-RTLO-14610B,176,AL,CLR

What is a cpl number?
I will look on the tag tomorrow and post the engine number.
Thanks for the help.

every thing you need is on the engine plate. the type, the ser.# & cpl. its on the front gear cover on the drivers side .

He hasn't got back to me with any info yet, but I will see him live and in person on Wednesday, and will press him on it then for sure. He has been on the road and hasn't read the email I sent him, so he hasn't been able to look it up is what he told me by phone.

My wrench figures you can turn the HP up to 435 without changing the pistons. Anything above that you will need to change them. I believe he said1650 is the max torque setting. He is going to run the CPL# and let me know for sure.

Here is a quote from my mechanic's reply to my email query regarding your engine:

The max on a old celect n14 would be around 435hp 1650 torque. Ecms that old I'm very leary on upgrading hp's cause they have the tendency too bbq themselves and are $3500 to replace

So it looks like you can up-rate your HP at your own risk to 435. Pulling gross weights of 80k or less, that should be sufficient in most parts of the country I think.

One thing to remember with the older engines, is that peak torque is made around 1400 rpm, and you should probably be running around 1400-1550 at your regular highway speed. getting faster drive gears installed may drop you out of the sweet spot for the motor, and make it feel like more of a dog than it really is.

Hey, I appreciate you going to the trouble to find out. That would be perfect for this truck. I don't really need more.
I was trying to find what I could on the subject and I had already figured it would at least go 400@1550 or so. Even that would be fine. I drive on mostly two and non interstate 4 lane roads although I do get out there with the big boys too. I have a good line on a ECM guy and he seems to know his stuff. I would guess that the extra heat comes from the pulse width modualted injector driver circuit. That ecm is diesel cooled. That's weird huh. Now all I need to find is someone that can do it. I'll bet the freightliner place may be able to do it. I've had them do parameter adjustments on Detroits.

Any Cummins certified shop should be able to hook you up. That would be pretty much every dealer out there, as well as the stand-alone Cummins stores.

If you are ever looking for engine parts for it yourself, you will save money by going direct to the nearest Cummins store, as dealers generally won't stock anything for an engine that old, and will be making the same call you do. Keep your engine S/N# and CPL# handy for when you call them, and ask for the best price. For gasket sets, check out your local area and find out if there are any shops that rebuild the heads, as many of them will sell you the gaskets for a fraction of the price that even Cummins will. I just paid $225 for a head gasket set from a rebuilder that Cummins wanted $750 for. Exact same gaskets.

Is this a file change or just a parmeter change in the ecm?
Not sure what you mean by file change but they simply enter a new ECM number for the required parameters. I had that done on my old 370 and it was great, even 20 HP is a big improvement on the hills. I paid 100.00 about 10 years ago to have mine set but it is probably more now, they just hook up a laptop to it and it takes about five minutes. That motor does not get great fuel milage but it will be better with more horsepower especially on the hills.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread