CSA 2010 - DOT PHYSICALS

Sherrig

On this CSA 2010 stuff - has anybody been able to find out what the changes are going to be when the implement the CSA 2010 this Fall? I heard weight is one big issue. I also heard if you EVER had a heart attack you would be out, and that if you have ANY kind of diabetes, even treatable by medicine, not shots - you will be out. Have any of you heard anything about this?

Well being a big guy myself I did a lot of research regarding the weight thing. There is NOTHING at all in CSA that relates to weight. There is a category called "driver fitness" and people just took it upon themselves to assume that meant weight, but it doesn't.

The only thing involving weight is a recommendation from FMCSA that drivers with a bmi over 30 or larger that a 16" neck be referred for sleep apnea testing. Even that was only a recommendation. No requirement!

As for the heart and diabetes, I don't have either so I didn't pay any attention to that part...

I wonder how they will conduct the driver's fitness test? If you can out run the fat ass scale house attendant around the truck, you pass?

i heard in another thread someone saying that high blood pressure, even medicated, could cost you a job. if this is true, the right lawyer could have hbp classified as a disability. maybe? hell i dont know.

I had to do a "PHYSICAL" for a part time gig with Ruan. I had to climb up and down stairs, and they checked my blood pressure/heart rate before and after the 3 min test. I also had to do a hand strength test. and a couple of other minor stress test's. I think it was more designed to see if i could get in and out of the truck several times without falling!! I am not "obese" but am 25 lbs overweight. (maybe a little more since breakfast) but borderline on blood pressure.

.....The only thing involving weight is a recommendation from FMCSA that drivers with a bmi over 30 or larger than a 16" neck be referred for sleep apnea testing....

16" neck? In circumference? Or diameter?

If it is diameter I guess that will eliminate all the bubba no necks! :p

CSA2010 DOT Physicals

CSA2010 does not have anything to do with physicals or driver health. CSA2010 is only about roadside inspection violations. The only way a driver can increase their driver score is to have a roadside inspection with yeilds violations. MVR related offenses does not affect your CSA2010 score.

HOwever there are a couple issues on the table with the FMCSA. One has to do with BFI ( Body Fat Index) however, this has not been publishied in the Federal register and is probabaly, without rulemaking, out another 18 months yet. The Physical issues have made it past the rule making and has been published in the Federal Register, but only that by 2012 all Physicals will be tied directly to your CDL. In other words if your physical expires your CDL will be suspended. This is already in affect in Indiana, New Mexico and a few other states.

Another change is that the doctor who conducts the physical must be DOT qualified and have a DOT issued license number. The physical will then be registered online at the time the driverhas the physical. This is to prevent drivers who fail a Physical from just going to another doctor who may pass them.

To stay abreast of DOT changes you can join LINKEDIN.com for free andthen join Motor Carrier Safety Group. This will keep you informed of all the changes from the FMCSA or DOT directly and without the misleading rumors....

Another change is that the doctor who conducts the physical must be DOT qualified and have a DOT issued license number. The physical will then be registered online at the time the driverhas the physical. This is to prevent drivers who fail a Physical from just going to another doctor who may pass them.

To stay abreast of DOT changes you can join LINKEDIN.com for free andthen join Motor Carrier Safety Group. This will keep you informed of all the changes from the FMCSA or DOT directly and without the misleading rumors....

talk about misleading rumors!

CSA2010 does affect anyone who holds a CDL license and who may be subject to roadside inspections or has interactions with Federal or State level DOT offiicers. Keep inmind though School Bus drivers and the inspection of school buses do not fall under FMCSA regulations. Although, I believe that the equipment and drivers who transport or children should have even more regulations, currently they are exempt.

Driver Fitness (one of the 7 basics) has nothing to do with health fitness per se. The violations which affect driver fitness are: 1. Not having a medical card in your possession, of not having a long form physical. Not having a valid CDL. etc. The carrier also could have violations in this area. For Instance if they do not conduct three years previous employment verificatin, or do not do a road test etc. The FMCSA has specific things a carrier must do to qualify a driver and failure to do those thing will result in a violation of driver fitness.

I have to disagree with the statement about school bus drivers being exempt. They are under the same scrutiny as any other driver that holds a CDL. They are subject to the Federal drug testing, and also the schools that employ them run background checks (even though pedophiles and other vermin often get past them) and if they are involved in an accident the investigators run a very thorough rectal probe to be sure they have been good girls and boys. Even if the accident was the fault of others.

You couldn't pay me enough to drive any bus, let alone a school bus.

Also the CSA 2010 rules are more comprehensive than just roadside inspections. Also included are inspections at scales, any "truck inspection" activity set up by local DOT officers, and audits conducted at the employers place of business which can turn up inconsistencies with driver's logs and company records such as bills of lading, fuel and repair receipts, etc. This can ultimately lead to citations and points after the fact.

Now more than ever we need to be sure that all of our paperwork is as perfect as possible.

You seem to know alot about this,why is it we have to carry a long form physical?Is'nt the medical card proof enough?
Driver Fitness (one of the 7 basics) has nothing to do with health fitness per se. The violations which affect driver fitness are: 1. Not having a medical card in your possession, of not having a long form physical. Not having a valid CDL. etc. The carrier also could have violations in this area. For Instance if they do not conduct three years previous employment verificatin, or do not do a road test etc. The FMCSA has specific things a carrier must do to qualify a driver and failure to do those thing will result in a violation of driver fitness.

Patty, you don't have to carry the long form. It just has to be available for inspection at your company headquarters. If you/they can't produce it during an in-house audit your in violation.

oh I didnt know that.Guess I better get another longform.I lost mine and my company doesnt have a copy they lost it as well,LOL.So with that in mind will I have to take another physical and how much is it?
Patty, you don't have to carry the long form. It just has to be available for inspection at your company headquarters. If you/they can't produce it during an in-house audit your in violation.

oh I didnt know that.Guess I better get another longform.I lost mine and my company doesnt have a copy they lost it as well,LOL.So with that in mind will I have to take another physical and how much is it?
Prices for the physicall's vary from one place to another so you might want to check around....We've had prices from $50.00 to $135.00..

If your a company driver, it's there problem not yours as long as you have the wallet card!

As for cost, you can get them from those cdl physical trailers you see in the truckstops for about $100 or so.

Isnt that crazy?Probably cost them less then 5 bucks and overcharge the people.Thats why doctors live in 100k plus homes and drive the best money can buy.And now force insurance on us I dont think so im not getting insurance just for that reason.Oh thats on the politiccs thread isnt it,LOL
Prices for the physicall's vary from one place to another so you might want to check around....We've had prices from $50.00 to $135.00..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread