Coronavirus

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter

In many states, Restaurants have closed down their dine in areas, offering only take out and delivery. As of today, 3/16/2020, more than a dozen states have ordered this, and the rest are expected to follow. Many restaurants are electing to do this without waiting on an order from the state as well.

#coronavirus

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike

Staff member
This is beginning to concern me. People are just dropping on the streets in China and only a portion of airports are currently screening people as they enter the United States.

Duck

Quack
Supporter

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter
Corona virus has killed 26 people worldwide.

The common flu has killed 6600+ just in the USA, just this year. But nobody's panicked.

I thought it was 50 just in one city in China.

which has 11 million people in it.

can you imagine??

New York has around 8 million and you can barely move...

Fageol

Old acid hauler but not too caustic
This is beginning to concern me. People are just dropping on the streets in China and only a portion of airports are currently screening people as they enter the United States.
According to some numbers quoted by the informed and non-left-wing journalist, Suzanne Dowling, Anchorage is the fifth busiest airfreight airport on earth. In this piece, she writes that the feds are taking some research or protection steps here.

I have a friend who's a 747 captain for Atlas. He's in China at least several times per month. I know Kurt because he hangs out at American Legion Post 1. He has told me the same thing that Suzanne writes in that article, i.e. that sometimes the aircrews head for their hotels and don't leave their hotels. That was especially his recent problem because of the riots in Hong Kong. I'll ask him if the aircrews have to do anything more these days.

More by necessity (business, weddings, funerals, etc.) I've averaged several flights per year out of Anchorage. The minimum flight, to Seattle, is about 3 hours. After a minimum of 3 hours, one tends to want to get out of those kerosene queens and stretch the legs and just wiggle. So it seems that many folks can contact that virus and spread it.

Here's Suzanne's article: Port of Entry? Wuhan-Alaska cargo carriers arrive twice weekly from hot zone - Must Read Alaska

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
China is an information vacuum to an extent. The government appears worried, and doesn't want to admit the extent of the problem to the world - probably due to financial pressure. According to yesterdays reporting, they're starting to lock down the country. From today's Washington Post...

China Quarantine

Fageol

Old acid hauler but not too caustic
China is an information vacuum to an extent. The government appears worried and doesn't want to admit the extent of the problem to the world - probably due to financial pressure. According to yesterday's reporting, they're starting to lock down the country. From today's Washington Post...

China Quarantine
According to the aforementioned (by me) source, Suzanne Dowling, some evacuees from Wuhan are heading here to Anchorage but for better or worse are not staying.

I used to find that 8 miles from here to the airport was an inconvenience. Now, Not so much. But Sourdough's yard is only a couple of miles from the North Terminal of ANC.

Here's Suzanne's latest article: Flight evacuating Americans from Wuhan scheduled here - Must Read Alaska

I think one can reasonably conclude that the Chinese have not revealed the extent of their problem which is becoming Uncle Sugar's problem -- while they continue to rip us off, screw with Taiwan and Hong Kong, build islands in the S. China Sea, continue the attempt to corner strategic metals -- unless you think they're in Africa to benefit Africans, steal our technology, and stuff like that.

They got secrets in them there workers' paradises.

I'd bet that the leaders of China are figuring out how to help our/their politicians get re-elected so that, by some magic, Jane and Joe Sixpack will help pay the bill. They ain't gonna let that crisis go to waste.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
The media does this every year, Swine flu, ebola, zika, ect. Theres nothing to worry about unless you have immune problems
You might want to tell that to the 28+ people who croaked from it... so far.

BTW, corona virus is not related to the flu. It's a relative of SARS... that killed 800 in '02 during a contained outbreak. The government in Wuhan, China let half a million leave the city knowing that there was an outbreak of something deadly starting.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
The death rate from this virus is a lot higher than the flu. SARS was 10%. Common flu has been 0.1 to 2.5%.
That's called propaganda right there. Presenting facts and statistics in a manner that creates an unrealistic or irrational point of view.

Let's look at it rationally.

Just look at the overall population of the world at 7 or 8 billion. Then look at the total deaths from this Corona virus or SARS or the black plague or whatever the current terrifying pandemic apocalypse virus we're all supposed to be afraid of and buy vaccines for.

What is it? 27 dead, out of the 7 or 8 BILLION people? One BILLION people just in China alone?

I ain't scared 🙄

And no I'm not running out to Walgreens to spend money either. 🙄🙄

Shreck

That's called propaganda right there. Presenting facts and statistics in a manner that creates an unrealistic or irrational point of view.

Just look at the overall population of the world at 7 or 8 billion. Then look at the total deaths from this Corona virus or SARS or the black plague or whatever the current terrifying pandemic apocalypse virus we're all supposed to be afraid of and buy vaccines for.

What is it? 27 dead, out of the 7 or 8 BILLION people? One BILLION people just in China alone?

I ain't scared 🙄

Go to Walmart they need the money.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Insulting Member(s), Warning Only

I ain't scared 🙄

If the corona virus gets loose in a world-wide pandemic, it has the potential to kill hundreds of thousands, if not millions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike

Staff member
Ok folks, enough of the nonsense. For those that are concerned enough about this virus to want to talk about it, the thread is here. Let’s stop trashing it.

Mike

Staff member
The media does this every year, Swine flu, ebola, zika, ect. Theres nothing to worry about unless you have immune problems
a fairly large segment of the country does deal with immune problems.

It’s nothing to panic about, but it is with paying attention to. Right now, we don’t know how many it has killed. Every time a video leaks out, it gets shut down.