GPS CoPilot Truck GPS for laptops

Has anybody used this GPS? Thoughts on it? If you don't like/use this GPS what GPS DO you use? I am in the market to get one and I am trying to figure out the best one out there. The cost isn't really an issue. I just to find the best one. thanks

You won't find a system out there that has more trucker specific features. The only drawback is that you have to use your laptop as the GPS while driving which can become a bit of a hassle and safety issue.

If I was back out OTR, I would probably have this system and a regular GPS attached to the front windshield.

If it wasnt for having to use a laptop, I'd use it.

I have a regular GPS (delphi) and I wouldn't be out here without it. It's a great help. Just dont depend on it for truck routing. I use it to verify directions.

verifying directions is basically what I used if for as well. It was a life saver sometimes at night when I was in areas where it was raining hard and you could barely see the street signs, or when the street signs simply weren't there.

I have used the
Copilot GPS for years in my truck. It operates very nice, good user interface. but: the truck routing database
SUCKS. I have heard that the new Garmin trucker GPS is absolutely the best.

I use the Garmin 2720 it works great for me because it has marinas and scales in it. When i bought it 4 years ago it cost $700.00

I'm currently using the Copilot 8 Truck. I had the Copilot 11 for years and love it. The Copilot 8 Truck has some new features but I think they cluttered it up a little bit. They updated the roads, truck stops/locations, added cat scales and truck washes. I bought it a few weeks ago and I'm just beginning to test it in my rig. I did test it on my way 4wheelin in the middle of nowhere on a onelane mountain road near the border of nevada in California. Copilot warned me that I was traveling on truck restricted roads and everything.

View attachment 9512
View attachment 9512

I use the Garmin 2720 it works great for me because it has marinas and scales in it. When i bought it 4 years ago it cost $700.00

Can you imagine what that Garmin 2720 cost now.Probably $1500.00 before taxes.

My laptop and the GPS antenna cost me just under $700. The mount for the laptop was free. The mapping software was free (gratuity for participation in a MicroSoft usability study).

And the screen is 15", so I don't need to use a magnifying glass to read the map.

Well I use the Rand McNally TND700.... I think it's great. If you want something like co pilot, you can get a pcmiler navigator all in one gps. It has the co pilot software in it if you're concerned about using a laptop while driving

Yeah, personal opinion is if you plan on using a laptop just for GPS, then just buy the standalone version. My buddy has the Rand McNally and he loves it. Of course after the little fiasco he started on some random review page. He went by the "easterbunny" and apparently got everyone on the other trucker forums panties in a wad. Rand McNally got a hold of all this controversy and immediately contacted him and worked up some updates to fix their image in front of the truckers. All is well now. Just update it and it'll be terrific.

I use my Acer laptop for GPS, TriPak scanning, trip information, financial info and all that important crap. So it's a major tool in my cab instead of a waste of laptop.

Good info everyone, I was just thinkin about looking around for the right GPS and now i have a few more options THX.

I used a laptop mounted on a stand for 2 years with PC miler running. Nice large screen maps and easy to see, but the laptop gets beat to hell with all the bouncing, and gets coffee spilled on it. I use a windshield mounted pc miler now and keep the laptop safe in a case.

I used a laptop mounted on a stand for 2 years with PC miler running. Nice large screen maps and easy to see, but the laptop gets beat to hell with all the bouncing, and gets coffee spilled on it. I use a windshield mounted pc miler now and keep the laptop safe in a case.

You need one of these: Panasonic Toughbooks

These things are tough. They can handle a 10g shock load, you can drive over it with the drivers, even dunk them in water, and they just keep on going. They are made to handle the most extreme environments.

You spilled coffee on yours? Why?

Hi there

Iam Using Snooper 7000s One of the Navi Here in Europe but also for US and Canada, you can Programme The Height the Lenght the weight and you can also give in DG and the amount you are Carrying .

When i was State side last Sommer this thing was great

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread