container load pricing for brokers

Edgar A

Hello everyone I am new to this forum, I am looking for pricing sheets or books on how to price container loads coming out of the ports in New Jersey. I got my own Authority, and got all the insurance coverage I need to do the hauling for myself. But I dont know how to price the work without scaring the brokers off . What to include in rate, Detention time , how much to charge for Fuel Surcharge,etc. Can anybody give me some advice, point me in the right direction ??

There is no fuel surcharge unless your on a dedicated route. Forget detention time. The broker will most likely set the rate and if you don't like it he'll get someone else.

It's more important you know and understand your costs and worry about them than the broker.

If you keep getting turned down, it's likely your rate is too high.

Ok I thought the same thing but i have 8 to 10 brokers reaching out to me daily asking for rates , and I responded to one broker with a rate and he never responded back . I even called him and no call back. With no response back how do i know if rates are good or bad ??

Give us an example picking up where and delivering to and the rate you quoted.

Brokers never set rate for me they ask me to give them a rate. I even asked what they are willing to pay and get no answers.

Keep in mind. I could wait around for a $2.00 a mile long run for days and days but if I took a $1.50 and ran non stop for that I would bring in some serious money.

Ok have a load needs a rate, its picking up a 40ft container at APM terminal in elizabeth nj to be delivered to New Britain CT. 122 miles each way. I dont know what to include in rate ? This was sent to me today

I'm guessing they are going for maybe $400 at the most with most truckers doing 2 a day and maybe load up another for the morning the same day.

What sucks with port work is actually all of the wait time in these ports. There have been times i have to take load out one day deliver next day.

This is what I'm getting for now and its power-only . You wont touch it but like myself there are alot of truckers that dont do OTR . Im just trying to get started with this . Any help or advice (serious advice ) will be appreciated

It really doesn't matter what the trailer is. The work is the same.

I don't figure a per mile rate.

I know I need so much per day for fixed overhead. Plus $0.44 cpm to cover fuel and maintenance.

If you can't cover fixed costs, it's a slow death. That is why I said you need to know your expenses.

If you don't understand what those are, no amount of advice you get here will help you.

Last edited:
Its hard to pin point complete overhead when 90 % of brokers say that customers wont pay detention time . so if I get stuck in port for 3 hours or 8 hours I get same pay . but customers or companies want rock bottom rates.

Then I'd go look for a different business model.

One that succeeds on paper.

I can't tell you what a good rate is. I don't know your costs. If you have truck payments or what insurance is. What your wages are. Only you can figure that out.

Maintenance is typical for a truck at $0.14 cpm.

Fuel at $2/gal and 6 mpg is $0.33 cpm

I'm curious why you didn't already know that.

If you can haul two loads a day and you travel 200 miles to do it, those loads need to pay at least $250 each to cover fuel and expenses.

Not sure why you need help figuring that out.

What difference does the detention time make. You know your working 12 hours. It's a days wages.

Detention time is what port truckers are fighting for because if im stuck in the port for 8 hours I wont be able to do delivery till next day and get paid for 1 load that should he delivered in one day do i make any sense .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread