Considering Trucking, need advice

AZBL

I'm looking into getting into the local trucking business. I live in AZ and am actually about to finish up my Bachelors in Criminal Justice from ASU. Was gonna go do seasonal LE work for the NPS, which requires you to do multiple seasons before you are eligible for a permanent position. So trucking was going to be my August through April job. After more research, I might look into just starting and staying in this line of work. I wanted to go local and eventually drive a fuel tanker after a year or so of experience. I read on TruckingReport.com that it could pays hourly and could even pay time and a half. Driving fuel tankers was given much praise from what I've heard. I'm looking into my local community college to get my CDL. What is a good starting job for someone who wants to stay local though? Any info/advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Keendriver

Hates all of you
Gas hauling is a great job and yes it's usually paid hourly and it's local (for the most part)

Just like any other job it can come down to the company you go with as to whether you like it or not.
Personally I would rather haul gas than peddle freight all day....just my pref.

You will need hazmat/tanker endorsement and they're not that difficult to acquire.
Hell, truck drivers get 'em every day....

You obviously will be hauling 10,000 (give or take) gals of gas so there is a bit of danger involved.
But here's the thing, a little common sense goes a long way. Pay attention and you'll be fine.
I do the job and the yellow streak down my back is a mile wide.

If you go peruse my award winning thread:
A Heavy Haulin' Grocery Hauler Goes Tanker Yankin'?!
And you should......

You'll see how I progressed from a know nothing, moments away from browning my bermuda's noob, to the hall of fame gas hauler that I am now.

One thing you will have to give up, at least for awhile is your weekends. The gas has gotta go 24/7.

Freight haulers, local anyway, get the weekend off. You will have to work up to it. Time in rate as they say.

Also you'll need to enjoy (tolerate) working out in the weather.
Cold/wet/snow/heat....whatever, you're gonna have to work in it.

My company is about middle of the road pay wise and I'll do between 76 and 80 this year.
Not too shabby for being home every night and a job that is down right easy to do.
Hey, good luck. This advice is only worth what it cost ya!

Last edited:

Bored Insane

You can try hauling fuel for big boys like TA, Love's, Flying J, but they probably have experience requirement and a union to join. Or maybe you can look for municipal water trucks for parks and golf courses. I saw one or two ads when I was taking CDL training. If I had criminal justice degree, I'd try for masters and get into local PD. It seems AZ and other states are short on police force (NM, NV, TX). Of course, you have to be WHITE, 6'3" tall, 180 lbs minimum and be able to run 1.5 miles in 10 mins and do 45 sit ups in a minute, and about 60 - 100 push ups in 2 min (or something like that).

AZBL

Gas hauling is a great job and yes it's usually paid hourly and it's local (for the most part)

Just like any other job it can come down to the company you go with as to whether you like it or not.
Personally I would rather haul gas than peddle freight all day....just my pref.

You will need hazmat/tanker endorsement and they're not that difficult to acquire.
Hell, truck drivers get 'em every day....

You obviously will be hauling 10,000 (give or take) gals of gas so there is a bit of danger involved.
But here's the thing, a little common sense goes a long way. Pay attention and you'll be fine.
I do the job and the yellow streak down my back is a mile wide.

If you go peruse my award winning thread:
A Heavy Haulin' Grocery Hauler Goes Tanker Yankin'?!
And you should......

You'll see how I progressed from a know nothing, moments away from browning my bermuda's noob, to the hall of fame gas hauler that I am now.

One thing you will have to give up, at least for awhile is your weekends. The gas has gotta go 24/7.

Freight haulers, local anyway, get the weekend off. You will have to work up to it. Time in rate as they say.

Also you'll need to enjoy (tolerate) working out in the weather.
Cold/wet/snow/heat....whatever, you're gonna have to work in it.

My company is about middle of the road pay wise and I'll do between 76 and 80 this year.
Not too shabby for being home every night and a job that is down right easy to do.
Hey, good luck. This advice is only as good as it cost ya!
Thank you for the great insight, it's greatly appreciated! Where would you recommend to start out to gain that first year of experience that would then translate over to hauling gas?

Keendriver

Hates all of you
Thank you for the great insight, it's greatly appreciated! Where would you recommend to start out to gain that first year of experience that would then translate over to hauling gas?
Literally anywhere that will take you.

I honestly don't know if any gas haulers would take a non experienced driver (right outta the box... no miles at all) so you might need to just work in the industry wherever you can.
Best bet might be to ask around in your area to see what the companies require.