Considering truck purchase, need advice.

kenny44

Got a question. I am purchasing a 2003 Freightliner with a Detroit motor; it has 926,000 miles. Do you think this is a good motor with such high mileage? Also the truck is on $11,000.

You should have it put on a dyno. That will give you a lot of info. Also an oil test and have an independent mechanic check it over totally to find potential problems.

Good advice.

The only thing I can add is that 1,000,000 miles is okay for a good Series 60. I've heard of 'em going 2,000,000 without the head or pan coming off.

A lot depends on takin' care of 'er.

If the truck checks out alright $11,000 ain't a bad price.

a freightliner is by far the best truck of all and i own a small fleet of freightliner classic and thay will have problems like any truck but if u keep after them you will now bee let dawn never buy a peter built thay are buy far the worst truck out there and it aint the truck as much as it is the company that makes and sells them ive purchest a few peter builts about 1 month ago yester day and thay are bsing me about why i caint comw pick them up thay waiting on titles and all this and that sp if you get a freightliner your doing your self and wallet a good thing my family all own peter builts and all thay do is breake down left and right

The Bull gear in the engine would be of concern to me with that kind of mileage. True, many Detroits go a long ways without a problem, but if that bull gear goes, you might as well consider an inframe or full rebuild. You will really chew up that engine. It is recommended by the OEM to replace the bull gear at 800,000 miles. About a $1400 job. And as good measure, replacing the crankshaft damper at the same time would be a good idea. Many that specialize in performance diesel engines are now recommending the damper be replaced at 500,000 miles. Yes, they do wear out, and there is no way you would know it until damage occurs. Even Detroit now is recommending the same thing for all of their engines. As was mentioned, a dyno run would give you a good idea about the condition of the engine. I would add that having an oil sample analysis run would be the icing on the cake. Paying for an hour of two of a good mechanic's time to go thru the truck with a fine tooth comb would be money well spent.

If it was taken well care of, and proper maintenance done when it was needed, there is no reason that truck should not have a lot of useful life left in it. And the price is not bad.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread