Considerations when buying a Glider as opposed to a new emissions compliant truck

Copperhead

It was a no-brainer for me to get a glider. I had already limited my operating area to roughly a 600 mile radius of the house, with only occasional forays outside of that limit. I can stay pretty busy, by the house a couple of times a week, off on weekends and holidays. The risk of the upper midwest pulling off some nonsense the coastal states do is pretty remote. Many of the states I operate do not even have emission testing of autos yet.

You have to take into account what your business model is. And don't overthink it. The CARB thing has so many folks worked up that they see CARB like stuff being a possibility everywhere. They use the "as goes California, so goes the rest of the country" mindset, with no real evidence that it is true. Air quality standards are not as big of an issue for many locations, so they have no real reason to inflict harsh CARB style rules. Yes, the Federal EPA gradually implemented many things that were first used in California, but unlike CA, they have never disallowed vehicle from grandfathering in. The EPA has never disallowed any vehicle from operating that met the standard for the year it was made. Only CA has ever done this with a vengeance. Sure, various places have implemented testing, and maybe banned a vehicle from operating that didn't pass, but that is about as far as it has gone.

Now all that, I now have 248,000 on my 2013 glider I bought in August of 2012. It has been pretty much the best truck I have ever owned or driven. It has done the job for me as well and anything I had planned for. For the remanned engine? I have the best used oil sample results when I change oil, of any engine I have ever been around. It sounds goofy, but it is common knowledge among engine builders that fully remanned Detroit Series 60 engines are usually better than new engines. I got 210,000 miles on the original steer tires, and they still had almost 10/32 tread left. I got $150 casing credit for each and a good deal on replacements, so I put new ones on. I got wide based rubber on the drives. I just measured the tread a couple of days ago and still have 18/32 tread on the original tires. The only real complaint was the stock, built in fridge. Pretty lame. The replacement one I got has been much better. Mine is spec'd well enough that I can put 48,000 lb in the 53' dry box I pull and still not go over 80,000 lb, and do it with full fuel tanks.

As for resale in the future? That will be easier as well. I have mine spec'd so that it is also a desirable truck for agriculture use like hauling grain, feed, etc. Which do you think a farmer, grain hauler, etc in the upper midwest will jump on first? Some emission laden piece of California compliant junk, or a pre-emission, lighter weight, well maintained glider? Yet, it would still be a good tractor for someone pulling anything OTR. I have a much broader base of potential truck buyers than someone with one of the new emission trucks. But that is purely academic anyway, as my plan is to hold onto this truck for long, long time. When you got something good, it is stupid to let it go.

But to each his own. Everyone has different needs and wants.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread