Con-way Freight introduces Drive Safe Systems

Maria

Diet Coke
Staff member
ANN ARBOR, Mich. — Con-way Freight, a less-than-truckload (LTL) carrier and subsidiary of Con-way Inc. (NYSE: CNW), announced the full deployment of Drive Safe Systems, a suite of advanced on-board “monitor, sense and alert” technologies, which, coupled with continuous, peer-based driver training and coaching, will enhance overall safety performance and operating efficiency of the company’s 15,000 professional drivers operating its 8,600-truck fleet, officials said.

Drive Safe Systems incorporates five in-cab technologies that alert drivers to potential safety risks and help them respond, improve situational awareness, provide feedback to refine safe-driving skills and defensive-driving techniques and maximize safe, fuel-efficient operations, officials said.

“Drive Safe Systems is first and foremost about supporting our drivers in the safe operation of our fleet and equipping them with tools to continuously learn and improve,” said Tom Clark, the company’s senior vice president of operations. “These technologies provide real-time feedback and coaching that helps our drivers recognize and correct unsafe behaviors, ultimately reducing accidents and near-misses. We want to be proactive in preventing crashes from even happening, and that means investing in proven technologies that complement and enhance the driver’s professional skills.”

full story

Forward radar that jams your brakes on if it thinks there's going to be a collision. Been there, done that. It bites.

Lane stray indicator that emits a static message if it thinks you're too close to one edge or the other. Annoying, but harmless.

Roll stability that senses hard corners and aytomatically reduces power output of the engine. Most trucks have this today.

I had these three in my Prime truck.

The new stuff:

Event recorder: Video recording that saves data in the case of hard braking, hard cornering, etc. It records both the driver and the road. Intrusive and stressful. I wouldn't want a camera in my face all day.

Real time "coaching" wherein the truck basically tells you when to shift, how hard to depress the accelerator, how fast to go... This is a giant step in the outright elimination of human drivers. Also, it's a beautiful example of "dumbing down" driving. Really? I need the truck to yell at me, telling me my foot's too hard on the gasser?

...waits for the next step.

I wonder how that lane diversion technology works when you got a dog tracking trailer like I had. TRUCK IN THE PASSING LANE JUST TO KEEP THE TRAILER IN THE RIGHT LANE. lol

I wonder how that lane diversion technology works when you got a dog tracking trailer like I had. TRUCK IN THE PASSING LANE JUST TO KEEP THE TRAILER IN THE RIGHT LANE. lol
It doesn't pay any attention to what the trailer is doing. It sends a static "burp" sound to one speaker or the other, depending on which side you're getting too close to.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread