Clearance lights on hotshot

karlsept12

How's it going everyone. Quick question. I've got a hotshot setup with a ram 3500 and 35ft gooseneck. CLASS A, GCWR over 26,001. I'm still having issues with my clearance lamps. The originals worked but they were dull bulbs with a hazy lens. So I bought led assemblies to replace the whole set. First set lasted 2 weeks. Some hot glue melted due to Texas heat. Second set lasted 30 days but they capped out too. Third set was a different brand but didn't last a week. So, seeing that I have a hotshot, is it possible to remove my clearance lamps and just use a emergency light bar? Not to flash like a tow truck or a truck with a OVERSIZE LOAD. They will be steadily on like this. Screenshot_20200105-083752_Amazon Shopping.jpgThe point of the clearance lights are to let drivers know "CAUTION I'M A TRUCK WITH A LOAD", right? I feel the bar will do that well. I'm just tired of getting these junk replacements that work when they want to. Thanks for the help

Sadly it's just the choice of hot glue used to secure these circuit boards in place. These pics show the glue. Silicone would have been a better way to go 20200105_150540.jpg20200105_150545.jpg

An LED getting that hot? I don't think so. It looks to me like extremely high resistance in the connections causing that kind of heat.

Somebody probably put a cheap 20% resistor in there to make it thick like it's an incandescent light

Hmmm. It really shouldn't be getting too hot. This was the third set of led lights. Sadly I couldn't find any "affordable" lights that didn't advertise the hot glue on the inside so I just switched brands and spent a little more money. I went ahead and returned to incandescent bulbs to see how they works for me

Most new vehicles need resistors in the light on retrofit crap like this. Otherwise the system sees it as a burnt out bulb. It's possible someone might be able to go into the ECM and change a setting for the lower resistance LED bulbs. I don't know.

If this is cheap amozon shit, it's likely made in some third world shit hole for an American company with the lowest electrical tolerance specs possible.

You get what you pay for.

Lmao yep you get what you pay for. I can only get what I can afford these days. Damn recon set costs $100 I believe. Hopefully soon the loads will pick up and I can make some money again 🤞

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread