Class a cdl...lookin for a trainer

nightwolf

I have class A cdls but havent had any otr driving experience, just was wondering if anyone could tell me if they know of a company that would train me and put me on the road? ive done contruction for many years and desided that i needed to make a lil more money and figured this was the way to go but didnt have the extra money to go to school, so i got mine from the local dmv and took the drivers test in my bosses truck, ive tryed alot of different companys and they all want 1 -2 years otr, and im not sure how to get started.
Nightwolf!!

I have class A cdls but havent had any otr driving experience, just was wondering if anyone could tell me if they know of a company that would train me and put me on the road? ive done contruction for many years and desided that i needed to make a lil more money and figured this was the way to go but didnt have the extra money to go to school, so i got mine from the local dmv and took the drivers test in my bosses truck, ive tryed alot of different companys and they all want 1 -2 years otr, and im not sure how to get started.
Nightwolf!!

With no experience you will need to contact a company who hires student drivers, and then since you didn't go to school to get your CDL license it might be difficult to find a job.
You might have to check company's who offer schooling, or a refresher course and then they might hire you.
Good luck, and be safe!

My partner had his CDL but hadn't driven otr since 2003, he went to central refrigerated out of Salt Lake City. He had three days orientation, 8 days practicing and tested out on Friday morning and left with his trainer Friday night.
He is now out with his trainer for 28 days and then he gets his own truck, he has to stay with them for a year or pay back the money for the training.
His only out of pocket expenses was for food. They will pay for your bus ticket there. (he flew)

Check with Swift Transportation in Phoenix people put them down but I am telling you from experience they are a good company and a good place to start.

Considering their training is under investigation right now, I think I might hold off from them right now.

Bullwinkle, please give me some suggestions of who you would suggest as a starter company for zero recent experience student drivers? I have hazmat and tanker endorsements, last drove for Overnite in 1983, nothing since except for school. Graduated Dec15, 2007. Been holding out for a regional job or something that gets me home weekly. My holding out is not working very well for me!

Bullwinkle, please give me some suggestions of who you would suggest as a starter company for zero recent experience student drivers? I have hazmat and tanker endorsements, last drove for Overnite in 1983, nothing since except for school. Graduated Dec15, 2007. Been holding out for a regional job or something that gets me home weekly. My holding out is not working very well for me!

Do you want to go tanker pulling hazmat? If so Schneider is probably the best, and they regional runs all over.

Since you live in Georgia, I would first check with Crete. They have a Southeast regional program. Shaffer is part of Crete, it is their reefer division, and I think you may be able to get into the Southeast Regional dispatch.

Another company I would look into is KLLM. You can run in their reefer division, plus they own Vernon Sawyer, which is dry freight. Not sure if they have a regional setup, but from the drivers I talk to, you can get home pretty often.

And as Wornouttrucker mentioned, if you are interested in yanking a tank around, see what Schneider has to offer in your area. They will train you for this, and if they offer a regional position, you can't go wrong there. You get training in something that will make it easy for you to get whatever job you want later if you go this route. What really makes this a good idea is that once you get experience, many companies that pull tanks offer jobs that are "out and back" jobs (you leave the terminal with a loaded tank, make your delivery, then deadhead back to the home terminal)

What really makes this a good idea is that once you get experience, many companies that pull tanks offer jobs that are "out and back" jobs (you leave the terminal with a loaded tank, make your delivery, then deadhead back to the home terminal)

This was the best part I liked, when I was pulling hazmat. But I was on a dedicated account also. Very seldom did I ever have to "grab" a load out in the system, but it was nice every once in while.

I would say though now unless you were on a dedicated account, you would probably be pulling loads all over.
Since fuel is so high, companies now want the trucks to stay loaded. Which is better for you, because a lot of companies pay less to dead head. I don't think Schneider does but I know a few food grade companies do in tanker.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread