Child custody / support / visitation

Being in the payroll department at work, I do alot of child support garnishments for drivers.

It's hard enough for me to get to see my daughter since I'm not with her mom, and I hear alot of stories from the drivers. What's everyones' take on being a Non-custodial parent from the road?

It depends on the the situation in terms of how often you can get to see them. My ex-husband had two kids, and before he was a truck driver, his former wife moved them several hundred miles away, so visitation was rare and challenging. When we started truck driving, we were able to arrange a route going through their town every week, so suddenly, the kids were a regular part of his life again. It was a pretty neat thing, so depending how you can set things up, it can work out pretty well to be a noncustodial parent on the road.

It depends on the the situation in terms of how often you can get to see them. My ex-husband had two kids, and before he was a truck driver, his former wife moved them several hundred miles away, so visitation was rare and challenging. When we started truck driving, we were able to arrange a route going through their town every week, so suddenly, the kids were a regular part of his life again. It was a pretty neat thing, so depending how you can set things up, it can work out pretty well to be a noncustodial parent on the road.

It's wonderful that this worked out for you guys. Not everyone, including non-truckers have this kind of situation. The fact that you used your jobs to your advantage, concerning the kids, is a great indicator on how committed you were to your children. Kudos!

That's really great, I have a had time with my ex right now and she only lives three doors down. (song title huh?) anyway I cannot imagine the problems. She changes her mind at the drop of a hat on if i can see them or not. If I drove 200 miles and then got there and she said no for some reason I would want to explode.

That's really great, I have a had time with my ex right now and she only lives three doors down. (song title huh?) anyway I cannot imagine the problems. She changes her mind at the drop of a hat on if i can see them or not. If I drove 200 miles and then got there and she said no for some reason I would want to explode.

And you would have every right to be upset, it's plain mean to do this to anybody. If a person travels hundreds of miles to see their child, then they should be able to see them.

It's hard to really give an opinion on this subject because its so different from one situation to the next. All I can say is that if a parent is trying to be a part of a child's life, everyone should give a little to make it happen.

I dido Manning125. Each situation is going to be very unique. If you can even attempt to make it work then all effort should be set forth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread