Checking in... this is my new career.

Timecook

5th day of training at I.T.S. in southwest Michigan. Hoping the CVTA certification they have helps as much as they say it will... though I was a bit disappointed in not finding it on CRETE's list of approved schools.

Either way, I plan to be in the industry for as long as it's willing to have me. Long term goal is to "make it to the top," but we'll see.

I know the new guys gotta get through the first year at pretty much any company, but do you think it makes sense to stick to a smaller, regional company that's willing to take me? Means smaller per mile, but I just get a feeling that a smaller company would treat me better. Is that accurate?

Welcome to the community. Stuck around, more to learn here than you will ever learn in school :)

Time will tell ... personalities play a role in acceptance.

Don't lose too much sleep over the Crete thing.

I'm kind of a transplant personality wise. I've always had a lean toward mechanical, vehicular stuff... but drifted to study English for a few years. Being alone and mostly in charge of myself while also being part of a bigger picture has always been more of my style (which, ironically, correlates well with English majors), so switching to trucking seems like a good fit.

As far as having a more "mainstream" trucker persona, that's not really me. I'm an assertive person, but not outlandish and zany like the general public views truckers. I see myself being in this industry because I think it, professionally, fits me, and me fits it... for the "long haul," to get n00b with the puns.

Basically, I'll be good at trucking, maybe not being a "trucker."

I'm kind of a transplant personality wise. I've always had a lean toward mechanical, vehicular stuff... but drifted to study English for a few years. Being alone and mostly in charge of myself while also being part of a bigger picture has always been more of my style (which, ironically, correlates well with English majors), so switching to trucking seems like a good fit.

As far as having a more "mainstream" trucker persona, that's not really me. I'm an assertive person, but not outlandish and zany like the general public views truckers. I see myself being in this industry because I think it, professionally, fits me, and me fits it... for the "long haul," to get n00b with the puns.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That's what it takes.

The rest I've found to be basically untrue.

You WILL be shocked at just how many drivers are avid readers and intellects, Obviously, I am neither. Trucking offers an abundance of time to think,Too much time to reflect and take in mounds of information.

Some drivers are zany but, they have been gone for a long time. ( see what I did there?). lol

You WILL be shocked at just how many drivers are avid readers and intellects, Obviously, I am neither. Trucking offers an abundance of time to think,Too much time to reflect and take in mounds of information.

Some drivers are zany but, they have been gone for a long time. ( se what I did there?). lol

:thumbsup:

I figure the way trucking is perceived by the general public is mostly out of ignorance. I worked as a package handler for FedEx Ground for a while and the rule of thumb as one of those guys is to not exist. Any evidence of them having been there is bad. Same deal goes for the haulers and delivery drivers... people just want their crap delivered early and in pristine condition for as little as possible... with mostly zero consideration of the mountains that needed to be moved to make it happen. The profession of moving things, when properly executed, should be as close to a magic trick as possible. I both love and hate that ideology... and personally, I think love/hate relationships are the best kind.

Yeah...
Don't ever say that again. :rubeyes:

It's worse than when my cousin went around telling people he was a junk hauler. :shocked:
Really? I spent the last year or so as a switcher... not trying to sell that experience as if it were a trucker, but just as seeing that side of the business. I think it's valuable... especially when it comes to knowing how to secure a load... we did lots and lots of double 28 footers with hazmats. Also learned how to back like a champ (albeit without a cab).

Really? I spent the last year or so as a switcher... not trying to sell that experience as if it were a trucker, but just as seeing that side of the business. I think it's valuable... especially when it comes to knowing how to secure a load... and with doubles and foremost backing in a restrictive area.

Man did you miss that joke by a mile, or what????????

Really? I spent the last year or so as a switcher... not trying to sell that experience as if it were a trucker, but just as seeing that side of the business. I think it's valuable... especially when it comes to knowing how to secure a load... we did lots and lots of double 28 footers with hazmats. Also learned how to back like a champ (albeit without a cab).

It's great experience, Timecook.
I was just being an ass.
No offense intended.

If you ever see a guy backing into a really tight spot at a truck stop and they're obviously new, and the driver begins to play Funky Chicken over the CB, go ahead and assume it's me.

It'll be our song.
:jiggy:

[video=youtube;8lCI63H1neY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lCI63H1neY[/video]

I'm not offended. Just trying to feel out this groove you guys have. You know?

Groove-Playlist.jpg

Some drivers are zany but, they have been gone for a long time. ( see what I did there?). lol

Very true, I've met some really smart, well read, very articulate drivers who would put a Harvard English Professor to shame.

I've also questioned the screening process of many companies and their drivers.

I always liked Styx, 'Too much time on my hands'. Describes the ups and downs of a guy like me.

Good luck with that....We're all over the place here!

Isn't that the truth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread