Cheaper to buy fuel in USA or Canada?

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Leave IFTA out of this.

Who’s good at math?

Fuel at the Peelot today was $2.96 for a US gallon.

A US gallon is 3.78 liters

Fuel at the J across the river was $1.19 per Canadian litre.

A Canadian gallon is 4.5 litres

One Canadian gallon is roughly 1.2 US gallons

2.96 (USD) x 1.33 (rough exchange rate) is 3.94 Canadian, roughly.

4.5 x 1.19 is 5.35

But I’d need to buy another 3/4s of a litre of US fuel to make up the difference in volume.....

Right?

3.94 (Canadian cost to purchase one US gallon) divided by four, for easy math would be one dollar

Right? One dollar per litre?

So 3/4s of a litre is 75 cents?

So then add that to 3.94 and we’re up to $4.70 per Canadian gallon?

Right?

Can't leave IFTA out of it because it determines what you have actually paid in your bottom line.

But if you want to leave IFTA out of it, Then buying in the U.S. is cheaper all day, everyday, 24/7, 365. 👍

Can't leave IFTA out of it because it determines what you have actually paid in your bottom line.

But if you want to leave IFTA out of it, Then buying in the U.S. is cheaper all day, everyday, 24/7, 365. 👍
Ifta usually is $100 one way or the other per quarter, but I do understand you should pay attention to it

Are you sure? Does the math look right so far?

Well, I noticed you did some rounding of figures, You can't round out money and expect to have factual numbers.
Just take a look how much tax is placed on fuel in Canada, Gas or diesel it don't matter. You are paying 30% tax on a liter of diesel.
I would post a link but it is only in PDF form The the Canadian taxpayers federation.
You can Google it

Well, I noticed you did some rounding of figures, You can't round out money and expect to have factual numbers.
Just take a look how much tax is placed on fuel in Canada, Gas or diesel it don't matter. You are paying 30% tax on a liter of diesel.
I would post a link but it is only in PDF form The the Canadian taxpayers federation.
You can Google it
I tried not to round too much, 3.94 to 4.00 isn’t a great stretch

The next step is I get 13% HST rebate on fuel back, but I was trying to establish a baseline CDN price per US pricing per gallon vs a CDN price per CDN pricing per gallon

There is no such thing as a Canadian gallon. There is an imperial gallon they use in Britain and so forth but it really hasn't got much use on this continent even though we have that whole "Commonwealth" nonsense.

A buck a litre is $3.79 a gallon. $1.19/litre x 3.79 = $4.51/gallon Fudge your maths accordingly and don't nuke it out so much......if you're figuring this without IFTA.

Do that first THEN figure out your IFTA and kickbacks.

My wife God bless her used to try and make the argument Canadian gas was cheaper because of the pump prices. At that time WRONG as the money was almost on par but now you figure in exchange rate that changes daily as well and who knows.....

I buy at mom n pops for around $2.50 to $2.60 US per gallon, base price (IFTA not included.

At 3.8 liters per gallon, that's about $0.67 per liter (average $2.55 per gallon US price)

At today's (2/8/19) exchange rate, that's 0.89 Canadian per liter.

You're welcome.

Back to the usual state of affairs...

:thefinger:

There is no such thing as a Canadian gallon. There is an imperial gallon they use in Britain and so forth but it really hasn't got much use on this continent even though we have that whole "Commonwealth" nonsense.

A buck a litre is $3.79 a gallon. $1.19/litre x 3.79 = $4.51/gallon Fudge your maths accordingly and don't nuke it out so much......if you're figuring this without IFTA.

Do that first THEN figure out your IFTA and kickbacks.

My wife God bless her used to try and make the argument Canadian gas was cheaper because of the pump prices. At that time WRONG as the money was almost on par but now you figure in exchange rate that changes daily as well and who knows.....
Is a US liter the same size as a Canuck litre? I was always under the impression we used the larger imperial gallon over here, because buddies said our mpg was different than Yankees mpg

Is a US liter the same size as a Canuck litre? I was always under the impression we used the larger imperial gallon over here, because buddies said our mpg was different than Yankees mpg
Well, yeah. You drive like a total jackass. Jackass fuel economy is always in the toilet loo.

I buy at mom n pops for around $2.50 to $2.60 US per gallon, base price (IFTA not included.

At 3.8 liters per gallon, that's about $0.67 per liter (average $2.55 per gallon US price)

At today's (2/8/19) exchange rate, that's 0.89 Canadian per liter.

You're welcome.

Back to the usual state of affairs...

:thefinger:
Still cheaper than the $1.07 Canadian a liter at the pump, Even with the exchange rate.

Litre is a liter. They just spell it differently. If you look at vehicles here that have the digital readout it won't even say MPG but l/100km....i.e. a measure of how many litres of fuel your vehicle needs to go 100kilometres. Weird as hell.

I just got mine back from a week in our shop. Between that and the hellacious winds today. It crapped out to this from the mid 40s it typically is.

We were always told buy as much as you can in Ontario. Avoid MI NY KY and I think OR as much as you possibly can.
It varies a lot - states do change their tax rates. Many times fuel stops will adjust their prices on either side of a state line to be close in price. If there's a big difference in tax rates, you can score a deal on cheap base price fuel - if you pay your own IFTA tax bill.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread