Cheaper to buy fuel in USA or Canada?

It varies a lot - states do change their tax rates. Many times fuel stops will adjust their prices on either side of a state line to be close in price. If there's a big difference in tax rates, you can score a deal on cheap base price fuel - if you pay your own IFTA tax bill.
I think Effingham does that a lot being as it is the north/south, East /west route close to other states.

does anyone know of an Algorithm that exists that takes all the parameters into account that go into deciding where to fuel?
Converting US gallons to litres is easy .
What we need to know is the lowest pre tax price and that is not easy.
As a quebec based carrier her is what I need to do:

1)determine the GST & PST and remove it from the price as we run USA and we get all that back , so this price is included in the pump price.
2) convert the IFTA fuel tax from Dollars /mile into Dollars/gallon for each jurisdiction , as that number is based on your fleets fuel efficiency (kms run /litre of fuel_
3) take into account the exchange rate.

i have not seen anything on the WEB that does this.

Need a webcrawler to search all that data out daily. Not difficult, but not free either.

Beyond my capabilities but I’d always task one of my employees to do that stuff.

“Simplest” form would be a spreadsheet with a Visual Basic pop up that would have you enter the daily numbers in from a US or Canadian source and have it look up the various state/provincial tax rates that you’d have to down load weekly or daily.

At one time it would’ve taken me a week or so to do something like that. Not anymore. Too out of practice or have the desire to program.

Maybe you got a Microsoft office guru in the office that knows Visual Basic and MS office.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread