• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

CENTRAL REFRIGERATED OR PRIME....??

Denali501

Need help to choose between those two to work for. Please give me an Idea what should I prepare if I choose one of them to start my driving career for at least one good solid year? I fully understand that no company is perfect. I am looking forward to start my career as a truck driver any insider thought about those company would be very helpful for me.. Thank you very much..:)

Meh.

Ok... All this talk about "Independence" and "Being the Boss" and "Living the dream My Way".. are nothing but a crock.

Company driver, Lease operator, Owner operator.. we ALL gotta live by somebody else's rules and schedules.

If you deny that.. you are lying to yourself.

Name me one... just one.. truly independent person in life.

What one must look for is a company that provides for the needs and wants of the individual. Some prefer the "company driver" route while others want just a little bit more.

The latter is my ilk. In addition to clearing 3X what a company driver earns... I also have a vehicle that has value. I still deliver the same loads to the same receivers, fuel at the same locations, earn points and shower using the same card as the rest. The difference is ... I ... have a personal responsibility towards the liability of a bad decision.

I will slather yer arse with German Chocolate Cake.. should you attempt to delete my posts.:)

Ok... All this talk about "Independence" and "Being the Boss" and "Living the dream My Way".. are nothing but a crock.

Company driver, Lease operator, Owner operator.. we ALL gotta live by somebody else's rules and schedules.

If you deny that.. you are lying to yourself.

Name me one... just one.. truly independent person in life.

What one must look for is a company that provides for the needs and wants of the individual. Some prefer the "company driver" route while others want just a little bit more.

The latter is my ilk. In addition to clearing 3X what a company driver earns... I also have a vehicle that has value. I still deliver the same loads to the same receivers, fuel at the same locations, earn points and shower using the same card as the rest. The difference is ... I ... have a personal responsibility towards the liability of a bad decision.

I will slather yer arse with German Chocolate Cake.. should you attempt to delete my posts.:)

Are you going to go into that whole "you didn't build that" thing? o_O

Yes, I do. I think drivers are tired of having to live by other people's decisions, and being told "no" in an industry that promises "freedom", but lack the means to start a trucking company independently, and that's where lease deals become attractive.

I don't think Obamacare has anything to do with it at all. PRIME has had lease deals for as long as I can remember, long before Obama. Probably as far back as when he was being schooled be radicals and terrorists.

Truthfully, I think lease programs are attractive to two types of people:

1- Experienced drivers who are tired to living by other peoples uncaring decisions and policies

2- Inexperienced drivers who are promised pie in the sky returns, and a huge pot of gold at the end of it all, with the reality being otherwise far too often.

Yes, by and large lease programs are not the best way to become an independent owner operator.

But this is not the 1970's @Fageol . Start up costs are high. Failure rates are high. Competition is high.

I was telling the wife just tonight that if I were to get outside financing on say, a $55,000 truck, I'd need at least 20% down with good credit, money set back for a breakdown or two in the first few months (because a used truck that's been sitting IS going to have an issue or two), money to buy fuel on (provided the company you're leased to has no fuel card), money to run the house until the settlements come in, momey to eat on while on the road etc. etc.

I estimate (in a slightly inebriated state) that on that 55k truck, a guy would need maybe 20,000 startup capital at least. Of course, more is better.

That's where lease programs become attractive. Especially the Sammons program. You walk in for nothing, call your own shots, and starve for a while, and if you're smart, you can make it.

Hows that different from example A really? Especially given the chances of failure in these lease programs? It's well over 60%.

I bet it's the same or worse doing it "the right way".

From one angle, these programs are totally criminal, and a scam. From another perspective, they're an opportunity towards a goal for which even the starting point has become unreachable for most.

Don't get me wrong. I HATED life in the ATS program. BUT...I did pay my bills the whole time at home (while losing LOTS of weight on the road and spending far too much time gone) and walked away with a "successful" lease completion, and I left clean, with money in the bank.

These programs are not the ideal way to start a trucking business, but they are an avenue for the little people, if they're played right.

There is a third type of person who enters into a lease with his or her dispatching company:

The driver who wants to be somewhere between company driver and straight owner-operator and has no intention of ever owning a truck outright.

There is a large number of drivers who like leasing their equipment because they are relieved of the hassle of what to do with an old, worn-out truck with well over a million miles on it. They lease a brand new one, run it for a half million, turn it in and lease another one. They may never own that truck, which they are perfectly happy with. They may never make quite as much as an owner-operator...but they make more than the company driver and always have newer equipment that carries a warranty.

I have every intention of buying Girly-Truck out at the end of my lease. Right now. I am in a good place to be able to do that. Right now. However, my situation could change between now and then. Or I could just change my mind altogether and decide to be a company driver again. Maybe for ....Walmart? Those guys...company guys...make more than most owner-operators-plus benefits. Without the hassle of what the hell to do when the truck is worn out. Without the hassle of buying used and not knowing the history of the equipment, how well it was maintained or what inherent bugs it has.

I think I've got a pretty good piece of equipment. Somebody else could get in this same truck that I've been quite successful with and think it's the biggest POS they've ever had the misfortune to be plagued with. With trucks, it boils down to what bugs are you willing to live with. Apparently, Girly's bugs really don't bug me much. They might be a major issue for someone else.

I won't buy used from the open market because I'm afraid of getting something I can't live with. Most of us know how easy it is to get a used truck dealer to back up that 30-day warranty. They'll put you off until day 31 and then they won't cover squat. The risk is too high, in my opinion, of winding up with a lemon.

You're offering to slather another mans ass in chocolate.

Then you posted a happy face.

I think he was about to offer you cake...
hence the happy face. :)

:D

th

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread