Truckers Health CDL Class A & Nardil (Phenelzine)

LGLDSR

Hi,

Great forum here!

I have recently retired at age 62 and would like to obtain my CDL Class A. Is Nardil (Phenelzine) a disqualifer? I have been on this medication since 1985 and if necessary under the supervision of my Doctor I will get off it. Dosage is 15mg/3X Day.

I had a single Panic Attack in 1985 and the Doctor put me on it. I really see no reason to stay on it.

Thank you!

Skip

Hi,

Great forum here!

I have recently retired at age 62 and would like to obtain my CDL Class A. Is Nardil (Phenelzine) a disqualifer? I have been on this medication since 1985 and if necessary under the supervision of my Doctor I will get off it. Dosage is 15mg/3X Day.

I had a single Panic Attack in 1985 and the Doctor put me on it. I really see no reason to stay on it.

Thank you!

Skip
i was trying to find that drug on the list, i cannot right now, but there can be more than one list.

what might not be a narcotic can still be not allowed by DOT..

i have no other list right now to check any further.

Dosage is 15mg/3X Day.
"Medications Requiring Limited Certification (one year or less):
 Lithium  Byetta  Provigil  Warfarin (cardiovascular disease)
 Antidepressants
Pristiq, Cymbalta, Effexor, Effexor XR, Celexa, Lexapro, Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Sarafem, Paxil, Paxil CR, Zoloft
 Antipsychotics
Abilify, Abilify Discmelt, Saphris, Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis, Seroquel, Seroquel XR, Risperdal, Risperdal M-Tabs,
Geodon, Symbyax, Nardil, ESAM, Parnate

"Note: The medications listed above require a safety letter from the driver’s Primary Medical Provider
indicating the prescribed medication is tolerated and no side effects interfere with driving a commercial
motor vehicle."

https://www.unitypoint.org/desmoines/.../PreparingForDOTExamJul2014.pdf

Source: Eastern Medical Support, LLC. • Amsterdam, NY • EasternMedicalSupport.com • 518-843-6860"

That pdf. is from 2014, just so you know things may be different now.

i cannot right now,

I did not see it on a Disqualifying list either, but they will most likely want him to get a letter from
his doc saying he's good to go.

Last edited:
"Medications Requiring Limited Certification (one year or less):
 Lithium  Byetta  Provigil  Warfarin (cardiovascular disease)
 Antidepressants
Pristiq, Cymbalta, Effexor, Effexor XR, Celexa, Lexapro, Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Sarafem, Paxil, Paxil CR, Zoloft
 Antipsychotics
Abilify, Abilify Discmelt, Saphris, Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis, Seroquel, Seroquel XR, Risperdal, Risperdal M-Tabs,
Geodon, Symbyax, Nardil, ESAM, Parnate

"Note: The medications listed above require a safety letter from the driver’s Primary Medical Provider
indicating the prescribed medication is tolerated and no side effects interfere with driving a commercial
motor vehicle."

https://www.unitypoint.org/desmoines/.../PreparingForDOTExamJul2014.pdf

Source: Eastern Medical Support, LLC. • Amsterdam, NY • EasternMedicalSupport.com • 518-843-6860"

That pdf. is from 2014, just so you know things may be different now.

I did not see it on a Disqualifying list either, but they will most likely want him to get a letter from
his doc saying he's good to go.
i know, and some companies may deny him a job as well...

can't (or should not) hide the fact he is on them, SHOULD NOT come off them, in time he may have to go back on them, and the usual "what if's" come up if he comes off them, and starts getting depressed..????

a few variables, the companies may not want to get involved with.

Because if you are still taking them its understandable that you'd see no reason to stay on them.

Thats a common thing for people to think, but talking with your doc he will explain why and if
you should stay on them.

There are countless stories of people having sudden medical emergencies behind the wheel and some
no doubt probably stopped their meds.

And employers will certainly take that into consideration. gl

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for your input, really appreciated. Since Nardil is on the list that has to go. It's ridiculous anyway, one panic attack in 1985 and I'm still on them 34 years later?

Quillcom, thanks for locating Nardil, really appreciated.

Best,

Skip

It doesnt have to go, just needs to be verified that you are ok to drive while taking it. As for the letter? I dunno if Schneider got one direct that I didnt see, but I never got one. I am on effexor and seroquel. I had to cut my seroquel dose a bit, but that was it. I DID have to change my migraine meds. But I cant remember what it was.
And quillcom is right, talk to your dr before stopping it. The meds are supposed to make you feel like you dont need them. I know this pretty well! Lol

i know, and some companies may deny him a job as well...

can't (or should not) hide the fact he is on them, SHOULD NOT come off them, in time he may have to go back on them, and the usual "what if's" come up if he comes off them, and starts getting depressed..????

a few variables, the companies may not want to get involved with.

In that case he would be better off to just quit taking it alltogether and not mention a word about it

In that case he would be better off to just quit taking it alltogether and not mention a word about it
i may only partially agree with you. however, he stated he was on the meds for 34 years.

the doctor put him on those meds, the doctor should be the only one taking hm off, he should not just stop taking them, with out the doctors advice about that.

those pills have been helping him all these past years, could he, would he have an another attack in the future?

who knows, but if he does, and he does not have his meds, what then..????

i may only partially agree with you. however, he stated he was on the meds for 34 years.

the doctor put him on those meds, the doctor should be the only one taking hm off, he should not just stop taking them, with out the doctors advice about that.

those pills have been helping him all these past years, could he, would he have an another attack in the future?

who knows, but if he does, and he does not have his meds, what then..????

I understand but he needs a JOB..

When your "funds" get really low and the collection notices overflow your mailbox

Ya dont willingly "offer" any reason for disqualification whatsoever

Some medications, it's not a good idea to just stop. In this case, our new friend should do so only under a physician's supervision.

Skip: I take a minimalist view of chemicals. The fewer, the better. If your doctor deems it safe for you to discontinue Nardil, do so.

First of all, my apologies for the very late reply to all who responded. I appreciate you taking the time.

I've tried on my own to get off the Nardil...BIG mistake. At times I think I'm a Doctor but this time it backfired. The first time I just stopped the 3X/Day (45mg) and within four days was nauseous to the point where I couldn't hold down water. Called the Doctor who went through the roof. Asked me if I was sure I wanted off, I said yes, and he said to cut back to 2X/Day for a month, then to 1X a day for a month. Apparently my method likely - and he was surprised it didn't - throw me a Stroke.

I could get down to 1X/Day and then right back to the nauseousness but this time with a twist: my sense of balance was off. Now back to 3X/Day all is normal but he's to the point that he is talking to the manufacturer on how to get someone off of this after 34 years.

It's an interesting drug. Developed in 1956 (not a typo) it has a list of side effects that are mind boggling and most either end in death or you become a Turnip. A partial list includes:

aged or smoked meats, fermented meats, dry sausage (including salami, pepperoni, Lebanon bologna), liver, pickled herring;
any spoiled or improperly stored meats, fish, or dairy products;
beer and wine (including non-alcoholic beer or wine);
cheese (other than cottage cheese or cream cheese);
sauerkraut;
over-the-counter supplements or cough and cold medicines that contain dextromethorphan or tyramine;
large amounts of chocolate or caffeine;
yogurt;
fava beans;
meat extracts; or
yeast extracts (including Brewer's yeast).

You should become very familiar with the list of foods and medicines you must avoid while you are taking phenelzine. Eating tyramine while you are taking phenelzine can raise your blood pressure to dangerous levels which could cause life-threatening side effects.

>over-the-counter supplements or cough and cold medicines that contain dextromethorphan or tyramine;

I took Sudafed or NyQuil for years if I had a bad cold without side effects until about five years ago. I took one and my blood pressure went through the roof, wound up in hospital for several hours until it dropped. They kept waiting for a Stroke. It did move me to the front of the ER line, though.

>large amounts of chocolate or caffeine;

I drink two pots of black coffee a day and have a sweet tooth. No problems thus far. They'll have to pry the coffee from my cold, dead hands.

Anyway, hopefully the Doctor can find out from the manufacturer how one gets off this after so many years. In retrospect it was not necessary to stay on it for all these years for a panic attack. Gotta love hindsight.

Will update when I find out. Have physical on 7/24/19.

Again, many thanks!

Skip

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread