Trucking News: CBD oil companies may face RICO charges in trucker's lawsuit

Mike

In February 2012, Horn, an over-the-road hazmat trucker at the time, suffered injuries from a vehicle crash. Several months after the crash, Horn looked into natural medicine as alternatives to the prescription medication he was taking because of the crash.

Approximately six months later, Horn responded to a High Times magazine ad in from Dixie Botanicals regarding an industrial hemp product called Dixie X. The ad stated the product contained “0.00 THC.” THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, is the main psychoactive property in marijuana.

Rather, the product contained CBD, formally known as cannabidiol. Along with THC, CBD is one of 113 cannabinoids found in marijuana. Dixie claimed that the product treats inflammation and pain.

In October 2012, Horn submitted a random drug screening as required by the U.S. Department of Transportation. A few days later, he was told that he had tested positive for a high level of THC. Horn was subsequently fired. He had worked for the company for 10 years and had driven professionally for nearly 30 years.

Following his termination, Horn bought some more of the Dixie X CBD oil to have a laboratory independently test the product for THC. The laboratory explained to Horn that they could not return the product to him after discovering it contained levels of THC well over the federal limit per U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration regulations and therefore illegal.

In August 2015, Horn filed a lawsuit against Medical Marijuana Inc., Dixie Holdings, Red Dice Holdings and Dixie Botanicals claiming the following:

• Deceptive business practices/false advertising.
  • RICO violation.
  • Fraudulent inducement.
  • Violations of products liability statutes.
  • Breach of contract.
  • Breach of express warranty.
  • Unjust enrichment.
  • Negligence.
  • Negligent infliction of emotional harm.
CBD oil companies may face RICO charges in trucker's lawsuit

Something to think about given the popularity of CBD at this point.
CBD has come a long way and has become more regulated in more recent years. So, what you typically get as advertised CBD percentages these days is legit.

However, doing some of my own extensive google research over the past few years, as I would like to use it as a natural for of treatment for PTSD and depression. I have found out this one tidbit, there are two different drug tests an employer can give you, one that tests specifically for THC which a 0.00% would give a negative result and a different test the checks for caniboids. In which case you would get a positive result. Food for thought for anyone looking to use CBD.

I have found out this one tidbit, there are two different drug tests an employer can give you, one that tests specifically for THC which a 0.00% would give a negative result and a different test the checks for caniboids. In which case you would get a positive result. Food for thought for anyone looking to use CBD.

That is interesting. Supposedly, the CBD is supposed to be really good for pain relief as well, which has me interested in it.

We had a guy post on the forum here a while back about taking CBD and then testing positive for THC. He was quickly ran off due to one of our know it all members bashing him for taking drugs. Looked for the thread, I guess the entire thing got deleted. Turns out, maybe the guy was telling the truth.

That is interesting. Supposedly, the CBD is supposed to be really good for pain relief as well, which has me interested in it.

We had a guy post on the forum here a while back about taking CBD and then testing positive for THC. He was quickly ran off due to one of our know it all members bashing him for taking drugs. Looked for the thread, I guess the entire thing got deleted. Turns out, maybe the guy was telling the truth.
Yeah when this guys was buying it in 2012, it was quite a different product than it is today. It can be used for lots of things. I think though even if it becomes federally legal, people in our industry would be prohibited from using it. Just like opioids. Not that I’m for folks taking opioids to begin with. I like natural remedies. And go that route when I can. I don’t even like to take Tylenol. But it is what it is at this point.

It is too bad that CBD can't be trusted for sure. With my knees I'd love to be using it. My sister has been using CBD for her hands she has arthritis and it has made a big difference. Not sure of it is just a placebo effect or not, but I'd sure like to give it a try.

I wonder, how did this story end. Because - damn! - that's an awful story. I hope he sued the shit out of these ****ers. Because this really is a revolting story. The guy lost his job because someone lied to him.

Last edited:
Back home on the news was a woman who drove school bus and was taking CBD for arthritis or something and she got random drug tested n fired

On the other hand, maybe this guy got what he deserved. Because he could just buy this stuff from more reliable manufacturer. I use CBD too. But I buy CBD gummies Europe produced only. The European manufacturers don't have the habit of deceiving people. When I bought this stuff I took it in the lab too. And they told me that the gummies I've brought don't have much CBD in it. And that was good. Any CBD product contain some THC, but when it's good stuff, it doesn't contain too much of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the other hand, maybe this guy got what he deserved. Because he could just buy this stuff from more reliable manufacturer. The European manufacturers don't have the habit of deceiving people. When I bought this stuff I took it in the lab too. And they told me that the gummies I've brought don't have much CBD in it. And that was good. Any CBD product contain some THC, but when it's good stuff, it doesn't contain too much of it.
You're a professional driver, and you're using that crap? That a bad batch of that stuff may contain enough THC to blow a drug screen should inform you where any of those products belong. Flushed down the toilet.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the other hand, maybe this guy got what he deserved. Because he could just buy this stuff from more reliable manufacturer. I use CBD too. But I buy CBD gummies Europe produced only. The European manufacturers don't have the habit of deceiving people. When I bought this stuff I took it in the lab too. And they told me that the gummies I've brought don't have much CBD in it. And that was good. Any CBD product contain some THC, but when it's good stuff, it doesn't contain too much of it.
I can find the "REAL DEAL" stuff on the street for Half The Price of "CBD" Gummies

Hey there! I know this post is a bit old, but I stumbled upon it and thought I'd chime in. It's definitely unfortunate what happened to the trucker, but I think people need to learn a bit more about CBD before making announcements like this.

really what more is their to know it was advertised as having no THC and I would be willing to bet the lawsuit got thrown out now you would think law enforcement would have charged the the company criminally but with the left wing DA's we have today they wouldn't bother prosecuting.

Eh when I'm home not involved in the industry why I've been known to visit the "Dispensary" a few times..

On the Road I don't mess around with that stuff "period" ..

I just stick to my Natty Ice Tall boys in the sleeper bunk 😅

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread