Freightliner Cascadia DD15 with DEF... hmmm?

What do you guys think of the Cascadias with a DD15 in it and DEF. I have been reading a lot of negative comments about them. Any of you with experience have a say in this? Because we are debating on getting a International Prostar with a Cummins engine or this Cascadia.

Titan is doing well with the DD 13's backed by the Freightliner autoshifts. I used about 12 gallons a week of DEF in avg 2700-3100 miles.

What do you guys think of the Cascadias with a DD15 in it and DEF. I have been reading a lot of negative comments about them. Any of you with experience have a say in this? Because we are debating on getting a International Prostar with a Cummins engine or this Cascadia.
I would go 2012 or newer or expect problems from any of the engines.

My trainer's truck was a 2014 Cascadia Evolution with a Detroit (not sure on the model, but it used DEF).

It was a beast pulling hills, even running heavy. (Swift company truck.)

Last I saw was still $2.70-2.80 range. Not sure bulk. I'll check next time I go by the fuel desk.

To those that use it, when I have been looking at purchasing a 2012 or newer truck, I've been planning on a 2.5% fuel ratio of DEF to Fuel. Is that about right?
For every 100 gal of fuel, about 2.5 gal DEF.

Probably pretty close on the DEF. I have never crunched the numbers on it to be exact though.

I still wonder about the guy who came up with the idea of using what is basically urine to inject into the exhaust? Takes a special kind of mind to think of that. Someone like maybe........... Duck??????? :biglaugh:

if you take an older rig into Cal with an aftermarket DPF,do you make an appt. with Cal Trans to get certified??
Do they care what kind of SCR or EGR as long as it passes nox etc??

I still wonder about the guy who came up with the idea of using what is basically urine to inject into the exhaust? Takes a special kind of mind to think of that. Someone like maybe........... Duck??????? :biglaugh:

Realizing that the scr is a version of a catalytic converter it's totally understandable why they did what they did.

Trying to control NOx, they are tying to make water and free nitrogen. NOx is short oxygen to complete it's conversion and too high of a temp. So to convert it to water it needs hydrogen. You get hydrogen from ammonia or NH3. Urea is like 80% ammonia which is what def is. Liquid urea.

Yeah. You can use def as a fertilizer or really **** off the neighbor and burn their grass with it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread