Can someone set the record straight? May 2010

SirDude

A guy who was once here
Hi Y'all,

I've been reading this forum for sometime now and so as the saying goes "I think, there for I am confused!"

I would like someone to please set the record straight on the trucking industry for Newbies going OTR. I'm pretty good at reading past all the wining and complaining that some people do and can see that there's some people who are truly happy driving, but from an out-sider's point of view, most drivers who post on here seem to hate the industry.

Is it really worth getting into trucking?

Are the entry level employers THAT BAD?

What questions should a Newbie ask themselves or the Recruiters before getting into trucking?

The last thing I need right now is to spend 4000-5000 on schooling only to be pushed out the back door after my employer gets their money from the Fed for hiring me.

As for training, schools, and newbie pay. I always take any info a school or trainer gives me with a grain of salt. Like the $40,k in your first year. I did the math last night and it came to something like an average speed of 50- 63 MPH every day I would drive, at 8 hours per day, (backed out two hours per day for fuel, traffic, etc) and for 52 weeks per year.

The numbers are not realistic, so what is the real deal?

And does everyone pretty much start with Swift, Warner, Stevens or JB Hunt? Don't take that as "I'm too good to start at the bottom" kind of comment. I just hear so much crap about all these companies and it amazes me that anyone works if those companies play as many games as everyone says or lead us to believe. I also understand that even though there are a large number of people on the forum, we are a very small percent of the total number of drivers out on the road.

I also understand that times have and are always changing. The rules of the road / industry are always changing and so companies need to adjust to the change. I take this into account when I hear about the high turnover rates at these entry level jobs. I look at them as doing something of a service to the industry by "weeding out" some of the people who aren't cut out for trucking. Me???

And as more then one person has posted on here, it's kind of something like a right of passage or paying your dues as a newbie. You need to shovel a lot of crap before you get to ride the horse!

Sorry for the long-winded post, I hope some of you will take the time to comment on the state of the trucking industry as of May 2010.

Hope y'all have a great day!

SirDude

"If you can't laugh at me, who can you laugh at?"
- Me

I can't speak for Swift or Stevens but I drove for Werner for 3 yrs.JBHunt u need 3 months OTR.I dont think they have a starter program.Now Werner is like any starter company they're not the best but not the worst either otherwise I would'nt have stayed with them as long as I did.You won't be pushed out the back door once u get your schooling finished.But one thing trucking companies dont like is whiners and ppl that complain about every little thing.Companies are always looking for good drivers and are more then happy to get u qualified and give u a chance but u the new driver have to make an effort as well.Trucking does have a huge turnover rate but thats the drivers fault.When things dont go their way,they up and quit without giving the company a chance.Many think the companies should change the rules just for them but that just isnt going to happen.If u just do your job and not complain about the lds,the miles the hrs ect youll do just fine.

Hi Y'all,

I've been reading this forum for sometime now and so as the saying goes "I think, there for I am confused!"

I would like someone to please set the record straight on the trucking industry for Newbies going OTR. I'm pretty good at reading past all the wining and complaining that some people do and can see that there's some people who are truly happy driving, but from an out-sider's point of view, most drivers who post on here seem to hate the industry.

Is it really worth getting into trucking?

Are the entry level employers THAT BAD?

What questions should a Newbie ask themselves or the Recruiters before getting into trucking?

The last thing I need right now is to spend 4000-5000 on schooling only to be pushed out the back door after my employer gets their money from the Fed for hiring me.

As for training, schools, and newbie pay. I always take any info a school or trainer gives me with a grain of salt. Like the $40,k in your first year. I did the math last night and it came to something like an average speed of 50- 63 MPH every day I would drive, at 8 hours per day, (backed out two hours per day for fuel, traffic, etc) and for 52 weeks per year.

The numbers are not realistic, so what is the real deal?

And does everyone pretty much start with Swift, Warner, Stevens or JB Hunt? Don't take that as "I'm too good to start at the bottom" kind of comment. I just hear so much crap about all these companies and it amazes me that anyone works if those companies play as many games as everyone says or lead us to believe. I also understand that even though there are a large number of people on the forum, we are a very small percent of the total number of drivers out on the road.

I also understand that times have and are always changing. The rules of the road / industry are always changing and so companies need to adjust to the change. I take this into account when I hear about the high turnover rates at these entry level jobs. I look at them as doing something of a service to the industry by "weeding out" some of the people who aren't cut out for trucking. Me???

And as more then one person has posted on here, it's kind of something like a right of passage or paying your dues as a newbie. You need to shovel a lot of crap before you get to ride the horse!

Sorry for the long-winded post, I hope some of you will take the time to comment on the state of the trucking industry as of May 2010.

Hope y'all have a great day!

SirDude

"If you can't laugh at me, who can you laugh at?"
- Me

sounds like you pretty much have a grasp on it already. the previous two posts are pretty accurate.

I am sure a certain member of our forum will be along, shortly (prolly the wrong word to use), to fill in ALL the blanks for you. You have just opened the door for further, in depth, discussions on the state of nOOb trucking in America.

Welcome to TruckersForum. Enjoy your stay.

If you need me, I'll be napping.... just buzz the buzzer. :nod:

You have just opened the door for further, in depth, discussions on the state of nOOb trucking in America

In the famous words of Urkel, "Did I do that?!" :foreheadslap:

If the truckers know that the companies / recruiters lie, why do it? But more importantly to me, what can I do about it?

The feeling I get about this whole entry level job is to shake my head yes to everything these people say, take the job if they offer it, and then suck it up. In the end call it an "experience." I think I know why that one member listed to pack a jar of KY in your bag.:rolleyes2:

I have to say, the lady I spoke with at SAGE (driving school) laid it out pretty well. The only thing I am questioning with them is, why do I need a "pre-hire letter" if they offer life-time job placement? Other then that their training course seems worth it, but now I am wondering if I should just take the on-the-job training through someone like Stevens and save the cash. If I need to suck it up for a year or two anyway, then it doesn't matter so much if I need to sign a contact with them. If they push me out the door before I get my CDL I would really just be where I am right now.

Flip a coin, roll the dice, or, ask a bunch of truckers what they think. The outcome will be about the same.

Trucking is so different now than when I entered the field I can only imagine the hardships endured by you nOObs. I can honestly only give you one piece of advice. It is universally true, and, will always be, even a century from now. If a person has a financial stake in the actions of another, they will lie their ass off to influence those actions.

Do the math, crunch the numbers, then, do what's in your best interest.

Well, well, well.

I am relatively new to driving for a living. I have worked on trucks for about 30 years, and been around them since I was big enough to climb into one. I have several relatives who earned a living as truck drivers.

When I decided last year that since I had a CDL, and had one since before it was called a CDL, and had driven big trucks a few times I could probably take a pretty good shot at it and see if it would work.

Well none of the "starter" companies would even give me a chance without going through their "entry" programs. I even asked for them to give me a check ride and was turned away.

So I just started applying at every company around the region where I live. One day I walked into the place where I work now with the intention of dropping off another job application and was immediately directed to the driver manager.I was honest with him about my experience and qualifications. The next day I did a check ride and they hired me. I ran a couple of weeks with a local driver, then a team run from our yard to Oklahoma and back and they put me into a truck on my own.

I suppose my self confidence helped some, and demonstrated skills helped. I have learned a lot in the past year, and since the first of this year I have logged over 53,000 miles. I would probably have 3,000 more if my truck had not spent a week in the shop getting some repairs done to the turbo and EGR cooler.

I am very happy. They give me all the work I can handle, if I ask to be home at a certain time they do their best to get me there, they got me home for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I suspect part of my satisfaction with this company is that it is small, about 120 trucks, of which about 25 or 30 are owner operators.

I have heard a lot of stories about the "starter" companies. And I have made my own observations of the trucks I see with the names of these companies on the road and in truck stops and rest areas.

Here is one of them:

View attachment 2009

In my opinion, the driver of this truck should be fired for not taking better care of the company equipment. I see lots of trucks from these starter companies that look like this.

I also see lots of trucks from these outfits that are clean, presentable and some even look like the driver has been in the rig for a very long time. What that tells me is these "starter" companies may just attract and retain at least some good drivers. What they stay for I don't know, but something is keeping them around. It certainly can't be the miles these guys are getting, I mean, how can you average 2,500 to 3,000 miles a week at 62 miles an hour?

Life on the road tends to be glamorized by those who have never lived it. Because of my past experiences I did not go into this line of work with an unrealistic idea of what the job is all about. There are a lot of long, boring days watching the scenery pass by. There are days when nothing goes right, no matter how hard you try. Some days you spin your wheels and get nowhere (I had one of those today! 191 miles!). When I am loading and unloading I bust my butt. Flatbed work is hard, dirty work. Tarps suck. Tarp pay sucks even more.

But I only have to handle tarps when I pick up a load or drop off a load. And the days when things don't go right are far outnumbered by the days when things are cool. I have been to all but 4 of the lower 48 states, and 4 of the Canadian Provinces. Sometimes I have time to stop and check out something I have seen that interests me that I saw when I went through there before.

Knowing what I know now that I didn't know a year ago I would tend to stay away from the entry level trucking companies simply because they have way too much crap to deal with. Electronic logs, low pay, slow trucks, crappy trucks (most of the large fleets spec out basic trucks with 10 speed trannies or even worse Autoshift trannies, low power engines, basic interiors, etc.), weird company policies, etc.

I feel very fortunate that I landed where I did. I quickly picked up the routine, and taking the advice of the more seasoned drivers I have never turned down a load assignment. Actually I guess I am too green to know what loads aren't good, because every load, and every destination they have given me has sounded great to me.

If you do pursue a career in trucking I wish you the very best. And advise you to always try to maintain a positive, can-do attitude.

Good luck!

Racer x 69,

I agree 100%, this industry like any other is all about the attitude! I know people who work for Microsoft, they make a sh!t-load of money and get to play with the latest, greatest toys, but even they have days they want to say F@% it.

The other way I have looked at trucking is this, people have been doing it for a long time, the pay seems to always suck, the hours are always long, the job has always been hard, but some how the drivers before me did it, they raised a family, or at least made child support payment all while driving for a living, so there's no reason I too can't make it work. I don't have kids, nor a wife, heck I don't even have a house payment or rent any more, so there should be a way to pay my bills and put food on my lap. I don't own a table either! LOL!

I think we all have one thing in common, none of us want to get the short end of the stick if we can help it. It's kind of funny that there's so little help from the schools, etc for the people just starting out when it's so important to do the right thing the first time around in trucking. I think if I stop to really think about the whole DMV / trucking / CDL thing I would give up my DL and buy a horse.

I've been over-seas, and in places like Germany, it's hard enough to get a DL, let-alone a CDL. I think the people I spoke with over there said that it cost something like $1500 to get your first DL in Germany. And that was back in the early 1990's. They make it so hard for someone to get behind the wheel that the drivers come out thinking it's an honor to drive and not a god given birth-right like here in the US.

I haven't gone to driving school yet, but I shake my head at the thought of some of these CDL mills turning people out in 2 weeks. I know enough to know I don't know sh!t! I turned down a friend who's family has a driving school, he said he could get me my CDL in 2 weeks and with less then 20 hours of behind the wheel. I said thanks, but I want to live past the first week on the job.

I just hope I can find that right company to learn from.

SirDude

"If you can't laugh at me, who can you laugh at?!
- Me

I've been over-seas, and in places like Germany, it's hard enough to get a DL, let-alone a CDL. I think the people I spoke with over there said that it cost something like $1500 to get your first DL in Germany. And that was back in the early 1990's. They make it so hard for someone to get behind the wheel that the drivers come out thinking it's an honor to drive and not a god given birth-right like here in the US.

One thing most people don't realize or are too damn stupid to admit is that driving is a privilege, not a right, and the best way to be a good driver is to understand that one simple fact.

I haven't gone to driving school yet, but I shake my head at the thought of some of these CDL mills turning people out in 2 weeks. I know enough to know I don't know sh!t! I turned down a friend who's family has a driving school, he said he could get me my CDL in 2 weeks and with less then 20 hours of behind the wheel. I said thanks, but I want to live past the first week on the job.

I do believe that the fundamentals can be taught fairly quickly, but for some it takes months or even years to hone the skills and techniques needed to be good at handling a large vehicle. Not just the shifting of transmissions with as many as 18 forward speeds, but negotiating tight spots, traveling through heavy city traffic, going up and down steep mountain grades, managing loads, the paperwork, the list could go on for hours.

I also believe that truck drivers need at least some mechanical skill. All to often I see dipsticks at truckstop repair shops getting light bulbs changed. And then they are griping about the crappy pay they get. It takes 5 minutes to change a light bulb that costs a couple of bucks, and these members of the brain trust can't see the economics of saving their company $50 to $100 bucks everytime a light burns out. Or a wiper needs replaced. Or maybe an air line could be snugged up to stop an air leak.

Well, well, well.

I am relatively new to driving for a living. I have worked on trucks for about 30 years, and been around them since I was big enough to climb into one. I have several relatives who earned a living as truck drivers.

When I decided last year that since I had a CDL, and had one since before it was called a CDL, and had driven big trucks a few times I could probably take a pretty good shot at it and see if it would work.

Well none of the "starter" companies would even give me a chance without going through their "entry" programs. I even asked for them to give me a check ride and was turned away.

So I just started applying at every company around the region where I live. One day I walked into the place where I work now with the intention of dropping off another job application and was immediately directed to the driver manager.I was honest with him about my experience and qualifications. The next day I did a check ride and they hired me. I ran a couple of weeks with a local driver, then a team run from our yard to Oklahoma and back and they put me into a truck on my own.

I suppose my self confidence helped some, and demonstrated skills helped. I have learned a lot in the past year, and since the first of this year I have logged over 53,000 miles. I would probably have 3,000 more if my truck had not spent a week in the shop getting some repairs done to the turbo and EGR cooler.

I am very happy. They give me all the work I can handle, if I ask to be home at a certain time they do their best to get me there, they got me home for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I suspect part of my satisfaction with this company is that it is small, about 120 trucks, of which about 25 or 30 are owner operators.

I have heard a lot of stories about the "starter" companies. And I have made my own observations of the trucks I see with the names of these companies on the road and in truck stops and rest areas.

Here is one of them:

View attachment 2009

In my opinion, the driver of this truck should be fired for not taking better care of the company equipment. I see lots of trucks from these starter companies that look like this.

I also see lots of trucks from these outfits that are clean, presentable and some even look like the driver has been in the rig for a very long time. What that tells me is these "starter" companies may just attract and retain at least some good drivers. What they stay for I don't know, but something is keeping them around. It certainly can't be the miles these guys are getting, I mean, how can you average 2,500 to 3,000 miles a week at 62 miles an hour?

Life on the road tends to be glamorized by those who have never lived it. Because of my past experiences I did not go into this line of work with an unrealistic idea of what the job is all about. There are a lot of long, boring days watching the scenery pass by. There are days when nothing goes right, no matter how hard you try. Some days you spin your wheels and get nowhere (I had one of those today! 191 miles!). When I am loading and unloading I bust my butt. Flatbed work is hard, dirty work. Tarps suck. Tarp pay sucks even more.

But I only have to handle tarps when I pick up a load or drop off a load. And the days when things don't go right are far outnumbered by the days when things are cool. I have been to all but 4 of the lower 48 states, and 4 of the Canadian Provinces. Sometimes I have time to stop and check out something I have seen that interests me that I saw when I went through there before.

Knowing what I know now that I didn't know a year ago I would tend to stay away from the entry level trucking companies simply because they have way too much crap to deal with. Electronic logs, low pay, slow trucks, crappy trucks (most of the large fleets spec out basic trucks with 10 speed trannies or even worse Autoshift trannies, low power engines, basic interiors, etc.), weird company policies, etc.

I feel very fortunate that I landed where I did. I quickly picked up the routine, and taking the advice of the more seasoned drivers I have never turned down a load assignment. Actually I guess I am too green to know what loads aren't good, because every load, and every destination they have given me has sounded great to me.

If you do pursue a career in trucking I wish you the very best. And advise you to always try to maintain a positive, can-do attitude.

Good luck!

Racer X 69, are you still with the company who's not being stingy with the loads? Are you pulling flat or what? Are they hiring? If I ever find a company like the one you're at; man I think I would run so much they would have to shut the truck down. That's the kind of runnin im trying to find, I want to run hard like that all I'm asking is to be home 6 or 7 times a year. And it's all good! What you have in the company you work for is simply a company that wants to make money and, help you make as much as you can handle. This company cares a great deal about you and your family and they are showing you how much they care about their own families. I am very happy to have read this post. KEEP IT UP DRIVER!

Racer X 69, are you still with the company who's not being stingy with the loads? Are you pulling flat or what? Are they hiring? If I ever find a company like the one you're at; man I think I would run so much they would have to shut the truck down. That's the kind of runnin im trying to find, I want to run hard like that all I'm asking is to be home 6 or 7 times a year. And it's all good! What you have in the company you work for is simply a company that wants to make money and, help you make as much as you can handle. This company cares a great deal about you and your family and they are showing you how much they care about their own families. I am very happy to have read this post. KEEP IT UP DRIVER!

Yes I am still with the same company. I am happy, they seem to be happy, everyone is happy.

This company, like most companies is always hiring. Partly due to growth, and partly due to attrition. One driver was killed in a motorcycle accident recently, several have had to resign for health reasons, some have quit (I heard rumors about them not getting enough miles, but then again, I also heard rumors about drivers who gripe and bitch, and refuse loads), and every once in a while someone may get terminated. There are also options for owner operators, your trailer or theirs.

If you are interested, search my posts and find where I have posted the company name. Unlike popular opinion, you don't have to live where our home yard is to work here. We also have a hub in Wichita, KS and I hear they are going to open one in the LA area soon. A small, but steadily growing company.

Yes, the company is primarily a flatbed LTL company, but they have curtain vans, Quick Draws (called Conestogas back East), some double drops and rgn's, and sometimes they lease a dry van to fulfill an obligation in one contract or another. What a driver pulls is largely dependent on the luck of the draw, but there are dedicated runs that certain teams and solo drivers have, and they all have dedicated trailers. You have to be with the company a while before you land one of those runs, if that is what you are after.

As far as them, caring about my family and myself, maybe, but I think it is more like a mutually beneficial relationship where both parties come out ahead.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread