Can I idle my truck here? State Idling Regulations

Mike

Here is a couple links of interest to keep you guys and gals out of trouble. American Transportation Research Institute (ATRI) has put together are very good list of idling rules, broken down into State, City, and County. The fine amounts are also listed for many of these.

There are two links on the page I have linked to, a compendium, and a cab card version. ATRI updates this as often as possible, but does not guarantee the accuracy.

Hopefully, this will help some of you when you are somewhere and not sure if you can idle your truck or not.

Truck Idling Regulations

Other Important Links:

Updated 11/1/2012:

Comprehensive list of states & local municipalities: http://www.atri-online.org/research/idling/ATRI_Idling_Compendium

Cab card: http://www.atri-online.org/research/idling/ATRI_Idling_Cab_Card.pdf

These are current as of July 2012.

Source: Idling Regulations Compendium – Updated July 2012 » ATRI

In some places, you don't.

Some places are actually getting some common sense working though, as they are adapting their no-idle rules to exempt trucks when they are actually using the engine to keep them warm or cool.

This link just gives you the most up to date information for each state/city/county that I am aware of.

I heard or read somewhere that whoever has come up with a battery like piece of equipment that will allow you to have heat and/or air without idling, but sorry, can't remember where I heard or read this?

Thanks for the link, it appears to be a great resource for truckers, especially for those just starting out like my husband.

IDLE OR NO IDLE??? Same problem as parking. People forgetting this is OUR HOME, OUR OFFICE, AND WITH OUT HEATING AND A/C WE CAN`T DO OUR JOB. LET THEM FIRST SHUT OFF HEATING AND A/C. Driver is always blame for everything.
If they don`t want us to IDLE go to manufactures and tell them to put small idle engine in all trucks. Driver must paid extra 6000.00- 8000.00 dollars to put idle engines in old trucks. Where is sense.

Idling

I can understand the anger, b/c if it's over 100 or below freezing when they get ready to sleep, how you gonna sleep? And b/c these guys/girls need sleep in order to drive safely, shouldn't they be allowed to do it comfortably (like the rest of us)?

People who aren't in a truck don't care what the conditions inside the truck are. That kind of attitude seems so prevalent so much of the time. You can't live in a tin can with no creature comforts.

I was just wondering.. So these places that are enforcing these no idle rules... are they going to provide a motel for the drivers to sleep so they are comfortable and not burning up or freezing to death? Another one of those things that makes me want to scream: IF THESE DRIVERS CAN'T DO THEIR JOBS, JUST HOW EXACTLY ARE YOU GOING TO GET THE CRAP YOU WANT? LIKE DRIVERS JUST DO THIS JOB FOR THE HELL OF IT!

I think we all should do this way. If you get cold in the truck( in state NO IDLE RULES) go to the doctor get report you were sick. Go to any LAW OFFICE and sue state. I think this is only one way to fight this. I wish they have no heat or a/c in high rise buildings. What you think how a long they will stay in it.

Updated the first post with a news link regarding California and their plans to begin fining truckers who idle their trucks after January 1, 2008.

just another good reason ALL truckers O/o and company alike should ban together and put a stop to this nonsense, ites your money your health and your way of life, shouldn't you be doing something to fix it???

Driver lets invite news reporters, people who set those rules to the trucks and let them be with us for a few days. I know they reading this forum everyday and laughing, saying stupid drivers. That what I hear everyday about us. OIDA should take States with Idle Rules to the court and fight for us. There is no way I will install Cold Buster in my truck(6000.00 to 8000.00)my truck is worth about 12000.00.
Best idea is let State pay for our hotels. If they want no idle in future Cold Buster should be standard in our trucks not optional. Why they don`t force manufacturers for standard.
This is all about money and Tickets. Ticketing driver at no fault is the easiest thing.
We have no time to go to the court!!!! Lawyers know that, that is why they wants us to pay monthly fee to stay on our side???????????Money!!!

Believe me I scream everyday when I hear this!!!! Drivers tell me what they want from us besides money!!!! What??????

Go to my post Biggest and Weakest and see how much money(Per-Diem) they collecting on top of their salary.

I think maybe the ones making up the rules needs to be stuck in a truck where the temp is in the NEGATIVES. See if they will take their 10 hour break in there with no heat! LOL

I think maybe the ones making up the rules needs to be stuck in a truck where the temp is in the NEGATIVES. See if they will take their 10 hour break in there with no heat! LOL

I think they need to be taken out behind the barn and horeswhipped. Of all the rules that are out there, this no-idle rule is probably one of the most ignorant going. Many of the States have come around to using some common sense, allowing you to idle the truck if you are using it for heat or cooling, but states like California are simply being ignorant about it. (Which is why you won't see me entering that State)

IF EVERYONE WILL JUST LIVE BY THE CODE I LIVE BY AND THAT IS.... I AINT FREEZING OR BURNING UP FOR NOBODY...... THEY CANT WRITE US ALL A TICKET THEY'LL RUN OUT OF PAPER....LMAO...... THE LAST TIME I CHECKED THIS WAS A FREE COUNTRY AND I JUST DONT SEE HOW ANYONE TELLING ME TO CUT MY TRUCK OFF MAKES THIS FREE.... HMMMM MAYBE I HAVE IT ALL WRONG I DUNNO...

Maybe i was in the right place when i was out there i had no trouble idling or anything
now I've heard of truck drivers having a problems maybe i was lucky.

Air Con and Heating

Ok with all the shouting on fuel costs bla bla bla how much are you spending keeping a truck ideling in fuel ??????
just to keep yourself warm or cold.
Not to mention the engine running time wear and tear.

Ok so this is from an over the pond buddy who knows nowt about trucking in the USA but it dont matter as we all do the same job where ever we are.

Your trucks use so much more fuel i just dont get it......
As to the answer follow the link below.
Ive been using this system for years and it works cooool in the heat and warm in the cold times.

Espar - Air Condition

Just do ur sums and work it out which is cheeper and which would you prefer ??

An engine thumpin away whilst trying to sleep or a near silent heater/cooler

nick 2008 wishin you all a good nites sleep
catch ya all soon

An engine thumpin away whilst trying to sleep or a near silent heater/cooler??

That's a no brainer yet there is ALWAYS a Reefer that will park next to me (because for some inexplicable reason, I'm a Reefer magnet) with the Reefer unit running WIDE OPEN all night.
At THAT point, whether or not MY engine is running is MOOT.
Same applies to idleaire.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread