Can I get my CDL class B without going to school? - Hear me out first before replying!!

kjt1991

Hi, my name is Kevin Thompson... the long story short is I have 2 years of truck driving experience working for HD Supply driving a 26 foot truck, but just under the weight, so I did not need to get my CDL. I got trained and learned most things about driving a simple 26 foot straight truck and the rules and regulations and all that. I also have experience working for UPS... I was wondering if it would be possible (just want opinions and thoughts) to pass a written exam and then take a drivers test...

I want to get a class B driving job that does not require physical labor (something with mainly just driving, and using a forklift or a machine that someone else used to unload at a delivery destination. I ONLY say that because I got toxic mold poisoning and have been dealing with fatigue and muscle weakness, I am OK to drive, just I am not as strong as I should be and extreme physical labor wears me down)

Thoughts and opinions? I would consider going to a school, I just don't know if I want to spend the money

Yeah, you can get your CDL class B or any other class without going to school. All you need is access to a class B truck to take your test.

Yep. Find a place as close as possible to you in your State that will rent you a truck for the test.

Some states allow third party testing.
There's a guy near me in Missouri who will test you in his automatic Ford Louisville daycab pulling a 28 foot flatbed.
$300 last i heard.

Might as well just get a class A while you're at it.

I wouldn't mind getting my class A CDL... but I'm guessing MOST jobs that train you after train you OTR? I would love to drive a class A CDL, but I'm still hesitant about living life on the road away from family and friends

I wouldn't mind getting my class A CDL... but I'm guessing MOST jobs that train you after train you OTR? I would love to drive a class A CDL, but I'm still hesitant about living life on the road away from family and friends
some jobs, you can be home daily, or 2-4 times a week.

but then too, you just gotta get lucky. many times those jobs go to the people coming off the road.

you'd have to walk a lot of miles and knock on a lot of doors. some companies, start you on the loading docks, then squeeze you into a local spot, when they can. it's all a test. pass it, and you can write your own ticket.

the 2 schools i taught at, there was a HUGE price difference in the 2 classes.

I’m not talking about a class, I’m talking about renting a truck.

I surrendered my license back in the 90’s when I got this crazy idea I would never drive a truck again. Paid $300, guy rented the truck, and also let me practice before going to take the driving test.

I surrendered my license back in the 90’s when I got this crazy idea I would never drive a truck again. Paid $300, guy rented the truck, and also let me practice before going to take the driving test.
oh, i know that ryder forbids (or did) any person from renting class A trucks, must be a company that rents them. i cannot say for sure about Penske.

funny how that happens:D

funny how that happens:D

not me, when i retire, and i turn in my CDL, i ain't about to get it back..."oh happy days are here again"....!!!!

Last edited:
You gotta admit how many people have said that and there asses were right back in the driver's seat:D
nope, not mine.......been looking forward to not only NOT going to my DMV for my CDL renewals, but no more DOT physicals, no more questions about sleep, no more trucking related crapola..

i'll get to go to the local AAA office for my operator license renewal from now on.....YIPPEE........

giphy.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread