• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Can anyone please give me any information on Marten?

semipenguin

I've been approved to work here. I've heard some good things about them on Dave Nemo's show, but I really want to hear from someone who's worked for them.

Thank you for your time...:)

Hi Penguin..

I haven't specifically worked for them, but pulling a reefer for many years I have been able to talk to plenty of their drivers. For the most part, the drivers seem happy with the company. You have some that are not, but you have to take that with a grain of salt because you will find that some truckers are not happy regardless where they are.

If you do go to work for them, be sure to let us know how you like it, as that may help others who are considering Marten for employment.

Thank you for the reply, Bullwinkle. I will do that.

I'm with Prime right now. Don't really mind pulling reefers. I just don't like having any say in what loads are assigned to me.

I've been self employed since I bought a truck with Werner in 2002, and I want to go back to being a company driver. I got rid of my truck last year and came to Prime hoping my girlfriend could get her CDL and we could team, but that didn't work out.

Oh well.

Orientation starts on Tuesdays at Melton. If I decide to go there, I'll start on Sept 9th...:)

Being in Joplin, just about any company would probably be good for you. Great place to live if you are a trucker as that is a huge traffic lane.

Thank you for the reply, Bullwinkle. I will do that.

I'm with Prime right now. Don't really mind pulling reefers. I just don't like having any say in what loads are assigned to me.

I've been self employed since I bought a truck with Werner in 2002, and I want to go back to being a company driver. I got rid of my truck last year and came to Prime hoping my girlfriend could get her CDL and we could team, but that didn't work out.

Oh well.

Orientation starts on Tuesdays at Melton. If I decide to go there, I'll start on Sept 9th...:)
drove for them not happy at all!!!!!!!!!!!looked at melton but could not get there cause of gap in experince

I started working for Marten in Dec 2009, had a minor, very minor accident in Feb 2010, and was terminated shortly thereafter. The accident was while backing into a dock, I scraped some paint off a prime truck, not more than 200 in damage givin the enormous amounts mechanics make. LIke I said I merely scraped some paint on the cab extender. Other driver even said if he knew how much paperwork was involved in the aftermath, he wouldnt have even reported it. Anyway, I dont believe its a bad company, but I didn't care for them from the start.

1. They mandate all drivers take per diem pay, and charge the drivers .025 cents (2 1/2 cents) per mile to cover administrative fees. Used to be optional, became mandatory in Nov 09, before I signed on. I didnt find that out until Orientation.

2. I needed to get home and put a request in a month in advence, and still didnt get home until a week later. They told me that freight was slow, and thats why they couldnt get me west. That could very well be true, since it happened in January, a normally slow time for freight anyway.

3. Requested, asked, and even begged for a load west of the Mississippi River, and they kept me east, mostly New England for almost the entire month. I now know Boston, MA intimately. I was stuck in a blizzard for a day in Philadelphia, PA two days before my hometime request date, but I still think they could have got me a load towards home. I saw a few Martens heading that way.

4. I went to orientation in Indianapolis, IN. they put me up in decent hotel, but I had to share a room. Was told that if I didnt work for them at least six months, I would have to pay back the bus fare and hotel fee. Yes, they took it out of my check right away. Still havent been paid for my last two runs.

Like I said, I don't believe they're a bad company. I have heard many Marten Drivers say they like working for them. But that was my experience in a nutshell. Hope this helps.

I dont care how slow freight is they or any company can get u home and A MONTH IN ADVANCE U GAVE EM????????????????bULLCRAP,they could have got u home sometime during that time frame.West is a big area,surely at least 1 customer needed freight delivered to him.Companies always use that excuse,we could'nt find anything going home.YA YA WHATEVER is what i tell them.
I started working for Marten in Dec 2009, had a minor, very minor accident in Feb 2010, and was terminated shortly thereafter. The accident was while backing into a dock, I scraped some paint off a prime truck, not more than 200 in damage givin the enormous amounts mechanics make. LIke I said I merely scraped some paint on the cab extender. Other driver even said if he knew how much paperwork was involved in the aftermath, he wouldnt have even reported it. Anyway, I dont believe its a bad company, but I didn't care for them from the start.

1. They mandate all drivers take per diem pay, and charge the drivers .025 cents (2 1/2 cents) per mile to cover administrative fees. Used to be optional, became mandatory in Nov 09, before I signed on. I didnt find that out until Orientation.

2. I needed to get home and put a request in a month in advence, and still didnt get home until a week later. They told me that freight was slow, and thats why they couldnt get me west. That could very well be true, since it happened in January, a normally slow time for freight anyway.

3. Requested, asked, and even begged for a load west of the Mississippi River, and they kept me east, mostly New England for almost the entire month. I now know Boston, MA intimately. I was stuck in a blizzard for a day in Philadelphia, PA two days before my hometime request date, but I still think they could have got me a load towards home. I saw a few Martens heading that way.

4. I went to orientation in Indianapolis, IN. they put me up in decent hotel, but I had to share a room. Was told that if I didnt work for them at least six months, I would have to pay back the bus fare and hotel fee. Yes, they took it out of my check right away. Still havent been paid for my last two runs.

Like I said, I don't believe they're a bad company. I have heard many Marten Drivers say they like working for them. But that was my experience in a nutshell. Hope this helps.

Couldn't agree with you more, But wanted to also give the companies answer to avoid being labled a disgruntled driver. Really, I have spoke to quite a few Marten drivers who like them, and many who still drive for them don't like them, but don't want to leave because they don't think they could find anything better. It just goes to show how many carriers abuse their drivers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread