Can anybody tell me what driving school is like?

young33

Hello I have a boyfriend who is a driver for Arfsten transfer out of Clearwater,MN. He says I would be a good driver. Before I met him, I was debating on getting cdl, but I'm scared about failing the tests, and failing at the job. Can anybody tell me what driving school is like? Is there a school that is just one on one, (due to me having learning disability--takes longer to learn) I don't want to be the one asking too many questions and having people look at me like I'm stupid. But then again, maybe driving is'n't my thinking. I'm good at doing his paperwork, (invoices, and taking care of his dog). Thank you all for your advice.

Hello I have a boyfriend who is a driver for Arfsten transfer out of Clearwater,MN. He says I would be a good driver. Before I met him, I was debating on getting cdl, but I'm scared about failing the tests, and failing at the job. Can anybody tell me what driving school is like? Is there a school that is just one on one, (due to me having learning disability--takes longer to learn) I don't want to be the one asking too many questions and having people look at me like I'm stupid. But then again, maybe driving is'n't my thinking. I'm good at doing his paperwork, (invoices, and taking care of his dog). Thank you all for your advice.

You should ride with him first to see if that is something you are interested in doing. Ride for a few weeks or even a month. Get a good taste of the good and the bad on a daily basis. If your scared of failing then you have already failed yourself and selling yourself short. Follow your heart and don't second guess it. Driving school is great. You get the chance to meet some really good people from all over. And your all there for the same reason. Personally i met some of the greatest people i have ever come across when i went to school and company orientation. The worst part about schooling is the class room. It is so boring. It will put you to sleep. Only an unasked question is a stupid question. If your there to learn , always ask questions.

Thank you all. I have just come back from 2 trips out to the west. And I enjoy it, but seeing how some of the 4 wheelers drive, I'm too scared. So I think I will just ride along and fix him lunch and do his paperwork (not the logbook--but the invoices that he has to do for the loads. Thanks again.

Hi young33 and welcome to the forum.Well first off you need to build your selfesteem and have a possitive attitude.You can't go in to a school with a scared attitude because i'll tell you right now if you're scared to get behind the wheel no trainer will let you drive.I felt the same exact way as you do now.Scared,nervous had it in my mind i'm going to fail ect.I'm a slow learner as well.There are schools that will work with you one on one.They don't want any students to fail.You go in with a possitive confident attitude you'll pass as a winner.Kind of like singing you get infront of a large crowd with alot of confidence you can win the crowd over.You can do it.Now you go to school and get your CDL then team with your boyfriend.Why don't you have him show you a few things like all the guages,airbrakes ect.That way you'll be one step ahead when you do start school.Take care Patty

Hi young33 and welcome to the forum.Well first off you need to build your selfesteem and have a possitive attitude.You can't go in to a school with a scared attitude because i'll tell you right now if you're scared to get behind the wheel no trainer will let you drive.I felt the same exact way as you do now.Scared,nervous had it in my mind i'm going to fail ect.I'm a slow learner as well.There are schools that will work with you one on one.They don't want any students to fail.You go in with a possitive confident attitude you'll pass as a winner.Kind of like singing you get infront of a large crowd with alot of confidence you can win the crowd over.You can do it.Now you go to school and get your CDL then team with your boyfriend.Why don't you have him show you a few things like all the guages,airbrakes ect.That way you'll be one step ahead when you do start school.Take care Patty
That was very motivational....Good job there Patty...:cheers:

That was very motivational....Good job there Patty...:cheers:
It was wasn't it. Good Job Pat, now I wanna go build that bridge out of tooth picks that I was always to scared to start. Didn't think I could do it, But now... Now I'm ready. Well I better get going, That's a big river I need to span.:tiphat:

I just started a driving school in Baltimore a few weeks ago. We are still in the classroom and won't go out to "the range" for a few months. So far they have given me several books and there are questions to answer from reading the texts. You pretty much can go home and study them for yourself. And I believe you can go to the MVA as often as you need to to retest on the written parts of the test. As for the road part of the test, I know my school's tuition includes the fees for taking that part of the test twice to pass then you have to pay each time after that. It's not cheap...about $10,000.00 Maybe you could look into going to a company that will train you if you work for them. I don't really know how that works or if it is cheaper. But if you wanna learn to drive, then go for it. You'll never know if you will like it until you try.

You paid 10 grand to go to school ? say it isn't so. is this the norm now? are schools really charging this much for schooling and a chance at a CDL ?

Being scared is natural when you have good reason to be scared (as in imminent danger, not to be confused with mere apprehension which is what you sound like you are going thru). There is nothing wrong with being scared. Courage is fighting your way thru the fear and getting the job done, it's not Rambo charging machine gun nests with a pocket knife, that's just stupidity.

I was trained at Kirkwood CC in Cedar Rapids. It was a 2 week course and that is only to get your CDL, not to show you how to be a driver, you learn that on the road.

It was 2 weeks, 6 long days a week.

Once you get some miles under you, I think you'll find that it is not all that much different than driving your car. You follow the rules, be safe, and enjoy the scenery.

Pulling what now looks like a 5 mile long trailer will come naturally, and that trailer will not look so long in a short time.

I just started a driving school in Baltimore a few weeks ago. We are still in the classroom and won't go out to "the range" for a few months. So far they have given me several books and there are questions to answer from reading the texts. You pretty much can go home and study them for yourself. And I believe you can go to the MVA as often as you need to to retest on the written parts of the test. As for the road part of the test, I know my school's tuition includes the fees for taking that part of the test twice to pass then you have to pay each time after that. It's not cheap...about $10,000.00 Maybe you could look into going to a company that will train you if you work for them. I don't really know how that works or if it is cheaper. But if you wanna learn to drive, then go for it. You'll never know if you will like it until you try.
I would think if someone pays that much for schooling the lodgeing is included.Those hotels cost anywhere from $200.00 to $500.00 a week.Someone I was talking to payedarond 5k for school.That was Sage.Only she drove back and forth every day.

I recently graduated from CDL school (Smith and Solomon) and it was a fun experience. We all pushed each other to get our "yard" (backing, docking, etc...) work down pat. The instrutors were knowledgable and patient and with their help getting my license was pretty easy. We had four total days of classroom work. My total experience was great and fun.

With that being said, I really didn't learn anything about "trucking", lol. The school is designed, in my opinon, to get you in and get you out. It really is just a CDl maker. I would have liked to learn more mapping and log book keeping, and more practical things (like what to expect on the road and tips on survival,lol)

I went to school locally and the price was around $3000. The school is designed for graduating (getting CDL) in four weeks, but your tuition is good for up to a year if you can not pass or have interuptions. I broke my hand two days before I was to take my road test and was out of action for two months. When I was ready I just called and was back in class the next day, and passed the road test three days later.

I don't know if my experience is the norm, but I enjoyed it. I went in Bordentown,NJ. I hope, if you decide to go, that your experience is fun and your instuctors are good.

I recently graduated from CDL school (Smith and Solomon) and it was a fun experience. We all pushed each other to get our "yard" (backing, docking, etc...) work down pat. The instrutors were knowledgable and patient and with their help getting my license was pretty easy. We had four total days of classroom work. My total experience was great and fun.

With that being said, I really didn't learn anything about "trucking", lol. The school is designed, in my opinon, to get you in and get you out. It really is just a CDl maker. I would have liked to learn more mapping and log book keeping, and more practical things (like what to expect on the road and tips on survival,lol)

I went to school locally and the price was around $3000. The school is designed for graduating (getting CDL) in four weeks, but your tuition is good for up to a year if you can not pass or have interuptions. I broke my hand two days before I was to take my road test and was out of action for two months. When I was ready I just called and was back in class the next day, and passed the road test three days later.

I don't know if my experience is the norm, but I enjoyed it. I went in Bordentown,NJ. I hope, if you decide to go, that your experience is fun and your instuctors are good.
When I went to truck driving school 4 yrs ago I stayed at the dorm .It was a 10 week course and I had the best time,I could care less if I ever graduated.LOL

WOW!!! $10,000 for school. I"ll teach you how to drive in 2-3 weeks and for a bargin price of $7000.00
Seven grand is still too much,lol considering mine was $4200.00 for 10 weeks and that included the lodging and week trips with the instructor once we got our CDL.I had an awesome school and instructors.It was alot of fun after the first 2 weeks.That was boring classroom.

You betcha. Since I didn't know anything about trucking I was hoping this school would teach me from the ground up. It's accredited and lasts about five months. Your in the classroom for about half and then out on the range. They helped me get grants and loans and they will help with pre hires and placements. I hope it's worth it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread