Buying truck

Gotcha....

Well, I do "have" a DPF system, but it's one of the first, and it just does NOT work on this CAT. It over-heats, we found pieces of the turbo fins inside the block... it couldn't idle... I couldn't pull a hill (even with a light load)

We had to make a decision....and I ... well... "had" to live in the truck.

We got... creative?

I can just hear it now: "You mean disconnected it?"

I will say this: "The CAT dealerships were of NO help.... and that is NO HELP WITH A VERY LARGE INVOICE! (But everyone already knows that)

True. Freightliner blows doors off they get p'd off
What difference does the name on the hood make? It ain't like a car where the engine is made by the same name on the hood. You could get any engine you want in a big truck, With a few exceptions now that the truck mfgs got into a pissing match with the engine makers.

I've had 3 guys in red ovals with cats get physical with me because I passed them going up passes. It's amazing the attitude you get with red oval disease. No other trucks around and they swear there's no way a Detroit or a freightliner is capable of passing their 800 HP Kitty cat. And when you tell them they need to get a refund because one just did that's 80,000, they get bent.

I've had 3 guys in red ovals with cats get physical with me because I passed them going up passes. It's amazing the attitude you get with red oval disease. No other trucks around and they swear there's no way a Detroit or a freightliner is capable of passing their 800 HP Kitty cat. And when you tell them they need to get a refund because one just did that's 80,000, they get bent.
Detroit is a great motor! Cat was a great motor! The body of the truck has nothing to do with the power plant. Yes some Peter lovers get a bit carried away.
When you could get any motor you wanted in the shell with the design and comforts you liked, The truck brand meant nothing.
And I am of the 90s era where it was all about how fast you could go and zero about fuel economy.

Detroit is a great motor! Cat was a great motor! The body of the truck has nothing to do with the power plant. Yes some Peter lovers get a bit carried away.
When you could get any motor you wanted in the shell with the design and comforts you liked, The truck brand meant nothing.
And I am of the 90s era where it was all about how fast you could go and zero about fuel economy.

I am agreeing with you.

To me, the truck is the engine, trans and differentials. The rest is the wrapper.

But there is a majority that feel the only thing that's correct to have is a red oval and a yellow engine. Anything else, deserves to be scrapped.

I am agreeing with you.

To me, the truck is the engine, trans and differentials. The rest is the wrapper.

But there is a majority that feel the only thing that's correct to have is a red oval and a yellow engine. Anything else, deserves to be scrapped.
I was agreeing with you as well.

I pass some, some pass me, but I am never going up the hill wide open. If it will climb it in 12th, I am in 11th. Basically always a gear lower than I need to be to climb the hill.

I'm not even sure it's the same rig. There is one that gets posted on IG that I mistake for an Olson rig all the time, but he's East coast....

and that typo was "West" coast.. not 'wear' ..... duuuh...

He also has a Texas style 22" and a Swan ornament, multiple air tanks, etc., etc., ... it's mostly just 'similar' ... not even close to "identical"

His rig isn't sitting on air ride up front, and I don't have mudflaps on my battery boxes... lots of little differences. I'll post up a pic when I see the one that makes me look twice.

I don't have a truck number on mine, I've got grill inserts, no bumper signals... hell.... maybe it's even different paint and a different model. People think mine is a 359 at first glance. The only thing 359 about it are the crappy headlights. You can't see shizz in bad weather.

Bossman likes em' though....

I pass some, some pass me, but I am never going up the hill wide open. If it will climb it in 12th, I am in 11th. Basically always a gear lower than I need to be to climb the hill.

I climb a hill pulling 900°F on the pyrometer in the highest gear reasonable to hold 1650 rpm.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread