Buying first truck $25k or $70k

Juwes

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and fairly new to the industry I've been a company driver for a year and decided to get a truck.

Now I have a dilemma:

Case 1 - Purchase a ~$25k pre emission truck with freshly rebuild engine and pay it off in about of 6 month.
or
Case 2 - Purchase a ~ $70k 300k miles truck and pay it off in 2 years.

In case 1 in 2 years that I would pay for the newer truck I will save enough of money to fix the truck twice=))) if anything happens and have extra for a couple cups of coffee.
In case 2 I'm getting a warranty for 200k. and less chances to get to the shop in first month of being an O\O.

FYI Im hauling Flatbed 70k/80k Lbs most of the time, running OTR about 12k miles a month.

What would you suggest?

Thanks to all people that put their .02 in advance.

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and fairly new to the industry I've been a company driver for a year and decided to get a truck.

Now I have a dilemma:

Case 1 - Purchase a ~$25k pre emission truck with freshly rebuild engine and pay it off in about of 6 month.
or

In case 1 in 2 years that I would pay for the newer truck I will save enough of money to fix the truck twice=))) if anything happens and have extra for a couple cups of coffee.
In case 2 I'm getting a warranty for 200k. and less chances to get to the shop in first month of being an O\O.

FYI Im hauling Flatbed 70k/80k Lbs most of the time, running OTR about 12k miles a month.

What would you suggest?

i will ring some doorbells

@mndriver.. @ironpony @Hammer166 @Mike @Injun

me personally, that $25 k truck will need work really soon, you got the cash for those repairs?

the 70k may be a better buy...for a while.

i suggest saving up a whole lot more money, cuz you will need cash in the bank for repairs

Depends on the truck, what you're business will be, where you're running. Price alone doesn't really tell us much.

me personally, that $25 k truck will need work really soon, you got the cash for those repairs?

i suggest saving up a whole lot more money, cuz you will need cash in the bank for repairs
On the face of it, the pre-emission truck. You will position yourself out of the California market in doing so. Without seeing the trucks and inspecting them any advice is ill conceived.

It doesn't matter which truck you buy, this is an expensive business. Without sufficient cash reserves to cover the eventual breakdowns and vagaries of business, you'll be done pretty quickly.

Depends on the truck, what you're business will be, where you're running. Price alone doesn't really tell us much.

On the face of it, the pre-emission truck. You will position yourself out of the California market in doing so. Without seeing the trucks and inspecting them any advice is ill conceived.

It doesn't matter which truck you buy, this is an expensive business. Without sufficient cash reserves to cover the eventual breakdowns and vagaries of business, you'll be done pretty quickly.

Thank you for the advice.

Whould $30k be sufficient amount on bank account to go with pre-emmision truck?

If my math is correct than with $25k truck I will save up good amount of money in first year and can spend it for the repairs if needed.

$70k truck will have more maintenance expenses and it's not guaranteed that it will last with no major repairs for at least 1 year.

Also I don't have the truck in mind yet. After I decided what price point is better to go with I will start looking and inspecting trucks.

Please correct me if I'm wrong and/ or missing something important.

Thank you

Had retail business decade ago. Now have ecommerce business. Nothing huge. Just to pay Bill's.
Then sit down and do a pro forma on both trucks.

Figure 19-22 cpm for maintenance.

7 mpg fuel mileage for the new and 6 mpg for the older.

Then go talk to an insurance guy and find out the rates.

Don't forget to add def cost to the new truck.

I really appreciate this info. Especially cpm for maintenance. Couldn't figure that out on my own.

Thank you

I started with a $4500 loan against the wife's car.

I'm now up to 5 trucks 6 years later.

Use 6 mpg even for new trucks. I run a 2012 386 now and have only broken 7 mpg a few times. But I run weight in hills a lot.

As for emissions, pre-emissions, your pre-emissions trucks are getting a bit long in the tooth. Not going to be a lengthy service life on them. After about 2013, emissions systems finally got ironed out and, if they're properly maintained, are pretty much problem-free. Maintenance is the key, though.

Hi guys,

Now I have a dilemma:

or

What would you suggest?

I recommend getting the Tesla X model and cruise around. Sounds better than your scheme of things you're up to. :shift:

That's awesome. I hope I can make it past first truck;)
If you look at the statement, there's lots that happens between then and now.

Namely, be willing to reinvest back into the company and yourself. Personal time is just as important as work time too.

If office staff is only working 20 days per month, then why should you too. Plan accordingly.

Use 6 mpg even for new trucks. I run a 2012 386 now and have only broken 7 mpg a few times. But I run weight in hills a lot.

As for emissions, pre-emissions, your pre-emissions trucks are getting a bit long in the tooth. Not going to be a lengthy service life on them. After about 2013, emissions systems finally got ironed out and, if they're properly maintained, are pretty much problem-free. Maintenance is the key, though.
Friend of mine owns 2015 Freightliner Cascadia with Cummins engine. Today he brought the truck 3rd time in last 2 month to change the DPF filter ($200 + labor).
Check engine keeps popping on over and over.
He is getting glider kit in few months.
He is basically the one who gave the idea to go with pre-emmision.

I drive 2014 volvo 730 with d13 and averaging 6 mpg as well. I live in NYC and driving through hills of PA on I 80 at least twice a week...

Thank you

If you look at the statement, there's lots that happens between then and now.

Namely, be willing to reinvest back into the company and yourself. Personal time is just as important as work time too.

If office staff is only working 20 days per month, then why should you too. Plan accordingly.
Totally agree!

Don't lose sight of the potential for the older truck to have more down time...when it's in the shop, you're not making $$$

Don't lose sight of the potential for the older truck to have more down time...when it's in the shop, you're not making $$$
Correct

However, you can usually pick and choose when to do the maintenance. A newer truck that threatens a derate and a forced regen costs you time during a run and potentially a tow truck

Maybe the newer trucks are better I haven’t run anything newer than a 2015

Yeah that is the biggest unknown in my decision.

Can you correct me:

Newer truck - less chances to get in the shop in first place. However there is more things to go wrong and if it makes to the shop its dealer(truck still has warranty). As I know dealers known for straching repaire times even for little things if they even know what's wrong.

Pre-emmision truck - WILL breakdown sooner but there is less electronics and sensors. So less things to get wrong. And some of them such as swapping a turbo can be done without mechanics. Easier to get parts and get out of the shop on the road... until it breaks down again)

Thank you for your answer.

P.S. it feels that I unconsciously made a decision in favor of pre emmision truck and now trying to justify it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread